IGNORED

Driver Volume != 460 cc?

Note: This thread is 5132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just an observation, but I've noticed certain manufacturers are toning the clubhead sizes of their drivers, especially those geared for the better players/ball strikers. OEMs are offering smaller, slimmer heads in lieu of the grapefruit sized, 460cc maximum limit. Not a reflection of today's economic landscape I imagine.

A few to date. . .

Taylormade's R9 TP 420cc
Mizuno MP-630 445cc
Titleist D3 440cc
Nike VR Tour 420cc (I've read from several sources that it's actually closer to 400cc)

So why the smaller heads?
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

Actually... the Nike VR Tour has a 400cc and 420cc model.

Personally... I like them. I would have bought an R9 but I dont want all the adjustable lie, loft crap. The Nike VR is very intriguing even though I swore to never buy a Nike club. That's probably one of the smartest things Nike has done.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I was talking to my golf couch about this, heres what he thinks. Because they need to market these things to you.... they change things around and then say they are "better" then they old model ect.

Another reason that we come up with was that, some of the new courses have some HUGE golf holes of the back tee's. Ive played some very good golf courses in AUS, Out of the top 20 ive played about 12. And at some of these courses you get par 5's that are like 590M witch is huge even if you are quite a big hitter, so then for people who don't hit the ball along way have to hit driver and another driver to reach it in 2 ect.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Even the non-TP version of the R9 is 420cc. I actually kind of like the 460cc clubheads. But that's just a personal opinion.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont know why that is the trend. Its said you get better ball control with a smaller head...but i dont really know. I use the 440 Titliest d3 and i dont notice any differece bewtween it and the 460 905R i was using before. The clubs look the same size to me, and the the playabillity are identical between them. I used a TM R7 425 before the 905R and again didnt notice much difference in size or playabillity. I guess the manufactuers are beginning to think 460cc might be unessacary.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Actually, the reason is quite simple and straightforward. To make a driver larger requires more weight, and more air resistance. These two factors (weight and aerodynamics) are some of the only things manufacturers can use to their advantage with the current USGA rules. Adams and Nike, for example, are going the route of Aerodynamics, with the Speedline and Machspeed models. Cleveland and Taylormade are going the weight route, with the Launcher DST and the Burner Superfast. Along with shaft length, fitting, and adjustability, these are some of the few factors that can still be modified, as the maximum MOI and COR have been reached.

Even the non-TP version of the R9 is 420cc. I actually kind of like the 460cc clubheads. But that's just a personal opinion.

I just saw an advertisement of the R9 (non-TP) in an golf magazine from last year, if I remember correctly it was actually 430cc.

Could workability be one of the reasons for the recent trend in driver head sizes?
Actually... the Nike VR Tour has a 400cc and 420cc model. .

hmm. . . I know there's a 460 model and 440 for the Str8-Fit, and I thought the VR Tours were all @ 420cc. But I've been hanging out at another forum and I've read it was actually closer to 400cc.

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

I re-shafted my old TM 320Ti with PFV2 ( a 2nd set that i put at my parents' place when i go back to visit them ) , hitting as good as my current 460cc driver.

I think the Driver is more on the shaft ( which suites your swing and profile ) rather than the head.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I like the smaller heads on drivers. standing over "a melon on a stick -i.e. a 460cc driver" just has never felt right to me and in turn has always casued me swing issues. I crush a 3w which is very similar in profile to an older style driver, but I can't make myself swing on a big head driver the same way. I have really considered dragging out my old 1990's TM Bubble shafted driver, and seeing what happens. My 3w head is actually as large or slightly larger than the old TM driver. Go figure... I wonder? do they make a 8.5 - 10* hybrid yet(I'm aware of the 1h but not sure of the loft)? If so, to hell with my driver. I would have one in my bag tomorrow.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

maybe bigger isn't better! I like the smaller look of the head when framing the ball. Also I think Bang used to make a 500-600 cc driver head...now that was a pumpkin on a stick. Imagine if all drivers were the maximum 460cc, then what could they do each and every year? The smaller heads are a way to make the product "sizzle"...Just my Opinion

"the only thing you should force in a golf swing is the club back into the bag" --Byron Nelson

Driver 983 K 8.5 Grafalloy ProLite Stiff
Fairway Big Bertha Steel Head 4 Wood Memphis 10 Steel
Irons 3-PW CB 690 Flighted Rifle 6.0 +.50..+1^Wedges Mild Steel Raw 254-10 & 260-10..+2^Putter 8802 the...

Hmm, idk, but personally I hate my driver. I'm thinking of getting new golf clubs soon, although my current set up is a few months old, because the huge 460cc drivers don't fit my eye. I'm debating whether going for the R9 TP or Cleveland's Launcher DST Tour driver and following up with the corresponding fairway's, irons, wedges, and putter (which might be my ocd of having the same brand throughout the bag). Either way, my current driver does a great job of shaping shots, however, in the pro shop at my home course where I work at, I've taken the demo R9 out for a round and found the smaller head gave me greater control. Just preference I guess. However, manufacturers are beginning to shy away from the 460cc heads as you can tell considering the new models, reason being because the only way to go now is backwards.
In My Under Armour Links Stand Bag or PING Hoofer Vantage Team Bag :
i15 9.5°, Project X Graphite -7A3 | i15 15.5°, Project X Graphite -8A4 | S57 2 - PW, Project X 6.5 | Tour-W 56.10/60.8 Project X 6.5 | Redwood Black Satin Anser | Titleist Black | Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round Grips With Logo...

However, manufacturers are beginning to shy away from the 460cc heads as you can tell considering the new models, reason being because the only way to go now is backwards.

I think that's the most important reason. The companies want to come out with the new big thing every once in a while. Now they dial back on the head size in favor of weight and aerodynamics. Next year they will add "forgiveness w/o sacrificing anything else" by going back towards 460.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

To the tune of
I want my M TV

I want my four 60

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I can't stand those gigantic driver heads. Anything over 400cc is just too big for me and it seems like they compromise swing speed with all the resistance they create.
In the bag:
983k 9.5° YS-6 graphite shaft driver
F Speed LD Mens 3 Wood 15.5° Graphite Design Tour AD YS Stiff
2H 18° Baffler Pro with Fukijura Speeder Stiff Graphite Shaft
3H 20° Baffler Pro DCi irons 4-PW + S Rosa putter

I recently bought the R7 460, due to a great price. I currently have the original R7 quad, which is 400 cc I believe. I have always said that if you hit it well don't change, but I will be honest I am curious to see if the 460 will improve my game off the tee.
REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

Note: This thread is 5132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!