IGNORED

Exciting golf news for me!

Harp
Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time, but finally decided to join up and throw my .02 into the mix. Figured this would be a good time to introduce myself. I'm 23 years old, recent college graduate, originally from rhode island, but i've been spending the winter up in new hampshire to take advantage of the snowboard season. I've been playing golf since i was very young, and avidly playing since I was 13. During high school I was playing 3-4 times a week and got as low as a 8.0. I still try and play a lot, but this year I've decided to re-dedicate myself to the game. I want to be breaking 80 consistently and my ultimate goal for this year is to shoot a round at even par. One thing in particular is really going to help me achieve my goal.....

I'm interviewing for an assistant pro position this week!! Easily the most exciting job opportunity I've come across. Combines my business experience with my passion for golf...unlimited golf and range balls doesn't hurt either. Very excited...I'll let you all know how it works out.

Driver: Titleist 909 D2 9.5*
Fairway: Wood Nike Sasquatch 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 585 21*
Irons: AP2 4 - PW
Wedges: Scratch 53* 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

Well you've got good taste in drivers and your Lob Wedge is gold as well, apart from that you have much to learn. ;) Welcome aboard.

What's in my Eagles & Birdies Bag:
taylormade.gif R9 SuperTri Stiff 10.5˚
mizuno.gif MX-700 15˚ 3W Stiff
mizuno.gif MX-700 20˚ & 23˚ Hybrid Stiff
mizuno.gif MP 52 4-PW Nippon 950 Stiffmizuno.gif MP - T 10 52˚/07˚ & 58˚/10˚ping.gif Redwood Anser 34"titleist.gif Pro V1x FJD   

I'm interviewing for an assistant pro position this week!! Easily the most exciting job opportunity I've come across. Combines my business experience with my passion for golf...unlimited golf and range balls doesn't hurt either. Very excited...I'll let you all know how it works out.

Depends on the course you are at, but I worked in the pro shop for 9 years through high school and college (not "in the business" per se, but I was there) and being an assistant will likely mean less time for golf. My worked as an assistant at a few private clubs (including Detroit Golf Club) and he basically had no time to golf except 9 holes a couple nights a week. After factoring in long shop hours (50-60 hours a week), having to do junior programs, etc. the last thing he wanted to do on a day off was head back to the course to play "free" golf.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I would have to agree on the "less golf" at most jobs. Even if you are allows to play anytime, lessons, normal work hours and clinics will take up most of your week. Most places will not allow assistant pros or apprentices to give lessons during their normal weekly hours. They have to be done on free time. I interviewed for a job out of college for an assistant job. Only time "staff" was allowed to play was Monday afternoon when the club was closed to members. Good luck.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

Best of luck on the interview. And even if don't get to play as much as you expect, you could be stuck in an office all day. With people who don't play golf wondering why your practicing your golf swing while waiting for your food in the microwave.

Tools of the trade: Red=Pics
2.0 Push Cart
V14 Club Count Cart Bag
Driver - Nike SQ Dymo 2 HL w/Cleveland Headcover
Fairway Wood - Hibore XLS 5 WoodHybrids - Hibore 3,4,5Irons - CG Gold 6-PWWedges - CG14 52 & 60 CG15 - 56 Degree Custom Squareback 1

Come on guys...don't pour cold water on the guy!! Congrats on the interveiw and hope you get the job. I'm sure you will have plenty of time for golf. The free perks aren't bad either. It's all what you make of it.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Good Luck to ya!!!

In the Bag
Driver: Taylormade R7 limited
Fairway woods: X fairway 3 wood
Hybrids: G15 20 degree
Irons: G10 4-PW & SW

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Ball: NXT tour

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight-Ben Hogan

I've heard similar stories about golf pros that say, "the worst way to play more golf is to work at a golf course". Seriously, how often do you see the current crop of guys at your golf shop playing? Probably not that often compared to the regulars that are out there every day because they have jobs which either have weird hours or no jobs at all. Your best bet to play more golf for free is to offer to be a marshal at the course one day per week and see what they say.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Best of luck on the interview. And even if don't get to play as much as you expect, you could be stuck in an office all day. With people who don't play golf wondering why your practicing your golf swing while waiting for your food in the microwave.

that's the life i'm living right now and i can't take it anymore.

i understand the hours i'll be working and have heard the horror stories of working at a golf course and never playing. its a public course and the perks include free golf 7 days a week. its kind of a unique system where the golf pro doesn't run the show. he is strictly responsible for lessons and leagues. there is a course manager that is in charge of just about everything else leaving the pro free to just teach. i would be joining as a second assistant pro. the job includes all day-to-day course activities excluding lessons and maintenance. i'm very familiar with the course and the pros work an alternating schedule 6 days a week: either 6:30 - 2:30 or 2 - 9. i figure this leaves plenty of time before or after work for golf. yes there will be extra hours during clinics and tournaments, but just having the option to play 9, 18, hit range balls, or play the 9 hole par 3 is exciting. there is no doubt my game will improve.

Let us know if you get the job and keep us posted. Sounds like a cool deal to me.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Got the job!! I start training ASAP while I'm still at my other job, but in two weeks I'll be working full-time. Hopefully there will be time to play plenty of golf.

Good luck! I sit at a computer all day, and dream about working outside in the green grass and trees, so I'm jealous. I hope it works out like you want it to.

Ping K15 12* | Ping K15 4h | Callaway Razr X HL Irons 5 - AW | Cleveland 54* and 58* wedges | Odyssey White Hot Tour Rossie | Bushnell Neo GPS | Nike M9 Cart Bag

• 1 month later...
Congratulations. I followed a very similar path in college and out of college. I originally went to a PGM school thinking golf was the only path to take. After too much competing and total burnout (booze and women didnt help either) I decided the school and golf career were not for me. Fast forward 4 years (two schools and three majors later) I graduated and after passing my PAT and found a job as an apprentice assitant at a muni course in OC. Some of the previous comments about the business are correct, long hours, crappy wages, and sometimes real grunt work....but you are young and you shouldn't be in a hurry to conquer the world. I worked at a Muni, a exclusive private club, and an extremely high end resort course, I got my Class A membership and then left the business for the "normal" world.....I will tell you that having weekends off and the ability to make real money is great but I still always am proud of what I was able to accomplish in the golf business. I use my experience all the time in the business world. I hope you have a supportive head pro that will help you grow as a professional and a person, it makes all the difference in the world. If you don't move on. There are too many good quality pros to work for to get stuck with a bad one. You will have a lot of opportunities to play and practice but it is after shift or on off days. Get involved with the local and section PGA. Take advantage of being in the business. I literally forgot how expensive balls and equipment was. Enjoy it while you can. I sit in my office and still have my PGA Professional pin and shingle posted. Sure the business has it's down side but they all do. Good luck...keep us updated.

Is your goal to be a PGA pro? I understand that there is a lot involved in studying and understanding the game. With your HC of 8, you could probably pass the PAT part right now.

One word of advice from a hacker: if you decide to do this as a career and start teaching, you owe it to yourself and your students to really learn the golf swing and to really THINK about what you are teaching. I, like many on this forum, have received some HORRIBLE teaching from supposed PGA pros who should have known better. They just regurgitate what they heard from the Head Pro and what they themselves have been taught, without actually taking the time to learn the fundamentals of the golf swing and how each part of the swing affects the shot and how each shot can in turn be analyzed in reverse to determine faults. I am a strong believer that a pro who knows the golf swing inside and out, that can identify problems and solutions, and can effectively communicate these to a student in a constructive way is worth their weight in gold and will have no problem finding work throughout their career.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

• Administrator
With your HC of 8, you could probably pass the PAT part right now.

Let's be reasonable - no. He'd have to shoot 15 over the course rating for TWO rounds, which is two rounds below his handicap index (oftentimes well below, since the slope isn't 113 at most courses).

I'm fairly certain you're not required to actually fully pass the PAT until you're going for the Level 3 stuff. For Level 1 and Level 2 ("Apprentice") you barely have to break 85 in only one of the rounds to "pass" temporarily or whatever it's called: http://pgajobfinder.pgalinks.com/hel...o.cfm?ctc=1668 .

Source: URL Listed Attempt the PAT at least once within the two years prior to registering into the PGA PGM Program. Within that time frame, shoot one 18-hole score in a PAT that is equal to or less than the PAT target score for 18-holes, plus 5 strokes. Note: Each PAT score has a validity date of two years. (see the chart below) The 36-hole PAT remains valid during the Acceptable Progress period. An individual who enters the PGA Professional Golf Management Program after achieving only option (b) above, must pass the 36-hole PAT prior registering for the Level 3 Checkpoint. In order pass the 36-hole PAT, you must achieve a 36-hole score within 15 shots of the course rating. For example, if the course rating is 72, the target score for the 36-holes would be 159 (72 x 2 = 144 + 15 = 159). This competition is normally conducted in one day. The PAT is conducted from the middle tees of the golf course with the flagsticks set on a generally flat area of the green. Although this sounds relatively simple, less than 20% of those taking the test achieve a passing score. If your game is marginal, it is highly recommended that you work diligently on improving prior to registering for the PAT.

The rest of what you've said, plugged, is spot on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats, Harp, and best of luck with the new career.

DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Great point...you are more current in the biz than I am. They have tweaked the PAT threshholds since I have been in the business. I can tell you this, I have seen and caddied for some pretty solid players who have choked the guts out in the PAT. I have a good friend who is a 1 that took the PAT 7 times before passing. I guess it is a matter of playing for your career that makes it tough. If you are a solid 4 or 5 and can play to it then you should be ok.

Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!