• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ks8829

What is your scrambling percentage?

16 posts in this topic

How often can you get up and down to one putt? Do you keep track of your scrambling during a round?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I've been tracking this for years, along with the other usual stats. I count everything within 40 yards of the pin. Every year I seem to end up at 51-52%. I thought this was pretty bad until I saw in Golf Magazine that the tour average is 57.5%. Now I don't feel so bad.

i played yesterday for the first time this year....i think scrambled for 18 holes...100% baby, scrambling that is, not pars!!!

I dont track my up and downs, but my gut feeling is that i recover from greenside trouble for par 40-50% of the time.

Last year I was at 30%. My goal is to be around 50%.

I will say this about how I keep track. I only keep track of up-and-downs for par, the exception being if a penalty stroke was added (hit OB, up-and-down for 6). It doesn't matter where I am at either. If I hit a tree with my second shot and I am still 150 out, I need to get that up-and-down for it to count. If I miss the green with the 3rd and get up-and-down for bogey, I do not count that.

I know there has been discussion about this before and people seem to think of it in a different matter. I don't think the way you keep track matters too much, as long as it is consistent and works for you.

on my score card I mark U/D on the left colum and when ever I have the chance to get up and down to save par, make birdie and sometimes even to one putt to save boogie I keep track. I put a "1" next to the colum and hole and if I am successful getting up and down to one putt, I circle the "1". After the front nine I count my attempts to successful up and down and it will look something like 5/8 and after the back nine I calculate the total of both nines for a percentages

front nine 5/8
back nine 1/2
total 18 6/10 or 60%

on my score card
F = fairways
G = greens
P = putts
U/D = up and downs

I usually have to practice my up and down or scrambling.

Scorecard is great for this

. I can tell you exactly. If you wanted, I could tell you what my scrambling percentage is on par 3s, par 4s, par 5s. The back or front nine. At various courses. In various weather conditions. Or what format I'm playing in - tournaments, casual rounds, league play, etc. But I'll just drag my entire Scrambling chart in here:
None

Awards and Achievements

No idea, but this year I'm making a concerted effort to use that Golf Digest game tracker - it follows scrambling within 50 yards and then calculates an overall and short game handicap. The only issue I can see with the system is that if it's a short par 4 and I drive it witin 50 yards of the green, is that really "scrambling."

Around 10%. It's the bane of my game. It's a combination though of chipping and putting issues. If I could improve there, I know I could push a single digit HCP.

Around 10%. It's the bane of my game. It's a combination though of chipping and putting issues. If I could improve there, I know I could push a single digit HCP.

I'm probably in that same category. I am far more comfortable with the UP part. It's the down part I usually can't get right. I've been indoor putting all winter and can now read the breaks in my bedroom and hallway. I hope it translates a little on the course.

I'm with you here......If I was to improve here I'm sure I'd be the low 80"s shooter I once was!!

Was a time when it was around 50%, but I've slacked off on practicing my chipping, and that shows up big time in my scrambling. I'd say that I'm not more than 20% right now, and maybe not even that good. I still have flashes of apparent brilliance, but I lack the consistency I used to have. I plan on changing that this year though.

I've settled on a bag setup and I'm not changing anything there for the entire season which will hopefully give me a bit more consistency. Between that and more dedicated practice sessions on the chipping green, I hope to turn my short game back around to where it used to be. The putter is still solid, so all I need to do is to leave shorter first putts...

Probably 25%. It is hard to be really good around the greens playing only once or twice a week.

Ive always been confused about this: scrambling is defined as "making par or better when you do not hit the green in regulation." So if you have a penalty stroke off the tee (example: tee shot OB or in hazard) and so you cannot hit the green in regulation, does it count against your scrambling percentage? In that case, it is impossible for you to hit the green in regulation and it is impossible for you to make par, but why should it count against your scrambling since it isnt a measure of your short game?

My scrambling (proper scrambling as in saving par when I've missed the green) hasn't been good enough in recent months really. But in my last 3 rounds I've made 24 GIRs out of 54 and scrambled for par 11 times out of 30 (37%) which I'm a lot happier about considering its winter and I'm having to chip from lots of muddy and bare lies. In the same 3 rounds my up and down % regardless of score is 53% (16 out of 30). My sand save % in those 3 rounds is 63% (5 out of 8) so really happy with that stat.

I think if you got up and down for quadruple bogey, you still "scrambled"