IGNORED

TPC Tampa Bay

Note: This thread is 4080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, my friend and I play TPC TB this past Sunday. Our tee time was for 10:10, and we didn't tee off till after 11am (40-minute frost delay) As we were getting ready to tee off, Woody Austin + three guests cuts in front of us (he has playing privileges – more on him later).

I have to say, and my friend concurs, this was probably the shittiest condition of any resort course I have ever played. To pay $170 for it was an abomination. The course was in really poor shape – greens were okay, rolling quick (10 on the stimp is what I heard one starter say), but the fairway and rough were really pathetic. Going around the course, both restrooms were locked so we used the outside walls!

When we complained after the round, this is what we were told “The key to the restrooms is on the cart key”, “we had a really bad winter”, etc. See the thing is, shouldn’t the starter tell us the restroom keys are on the cart? Also, we played Westchase on Monday, and the course is pretty decent condition (I guess they had a different winter – Tampa v/s Lutz)!! I don’t know if this course can get into shape before the Champions Outback Pro-Am in about a month. Bottom line: crappy experience, very poor value for money. I plan on writing to the manager of this podunk course to complain.

Back to Woody – he is playing from the tips of course with three other guys – I guess $20 was the overall bet. He’s hitting it a mile, and of course he’s the last to hit from the fairway. As we get to # 17 tee, we see him hitting last from the white tees (?) – turns out his tee shot was in the water, and he just threw a ball down and hit from there. That’s really not the story – he comes back to the cart muttering and cursing under his breath and bangs his clubs into his bag. Folks, in my mind that’s pretty pathetic that a tour pro is losing his temper while playing with his pick-up group. He’s a real a**hole, and it showed in his attitude and mannerisms. When he came to first tee, yes by all means he has the right of way, but no recognition for “cutting in” – and no, I didn’t expect AquaMan to come over and introduce himself, but just a nod of the head would be fine to recognize that he’s going out ahead of us. The guys looks and acts like a douche – what you see is what you get.

Sorry for the ramble…

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

It should be nice next weekend considering the Transitions championship is next week?

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually Transitions is played at Innisbrook - the Champions Tour Outback Pro-Am takes place at TPC.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

• 2 weeks later...
Postscript - I did write to the manager complaining - I just got a certificate in the mail for a free round of golf (2-some) including cart at TPC Tampa. So, the manager made it right. The funny thing is, had the guy in the pro shop been a little more apologetic after the round, it would have never have come to the letter.

Wow, that is nice. So how much do you want for the pass? Somebody here in the Tampa area could use that.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Even in good shape, that course isnt worth 170 a round. Copperhead at Innisbrook... thats a different story.

In all honesty... I pay 80 or less for better tracks around tampa.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I played there in Feb. And it was in OKay shape. I only paid something like $50 through our travel agent. I played alone. It was frickin' cold and windy. I shot 86 from the blue tees ( second longest) The last three holes were a struggle as the wind was blowing 20-25 mph and it was raining sideways.
They have had a crappy winter and all the courses I played ( Dunedin, Bayou Club, Club Rennisance, Tpc Tampa) were in mediocre condition then. Rennisance had lost most of thier greens to frost.
Glad the Manager made things right for you.

WITB
Titleist 910 D3 Motore F3
Ping G15 4wd TFC
Adams A12 20* RIP'd VS Proto, Adams CB2 Forged 4-GW DGSL S300 Scratch 8620 54* and 58*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC4 TaylormadeTP Red/ Wilson Staff FG tour

Wow, that is nice. So how much do you want for the pass? Somebody here in the Tampa area could use that.

The fees with cart for a 2some are $340 ($170 each, includes tax).

I am willing to sell the certificate for $200 - essentially $100/each. Otherwise, I will use it the next time I am there.

• 2 years later...

Senior Tour just announced that TPC Tampa will lose the event due to lack of sponsorship.

Too bad that our area loses a great event. I was just bragging about being able to see a PGA and Senior event in the springtime and that the Tampa area is a great place to see professional golf (and TPC Sawgrass Players is only a 3-4 hr drive away in May).

Sad to see us lose the event. Hopefully it'll be back in 2014 or beyond.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/golf/champions-tour-will-not-stop-in-tampa-bay-in-2013/1266789

That's a shame- just came back from the area and played it about a week ago. Dad used to volunteer for the Outback and would get a free pass- usually for when I was visiting so he would find another pass from a volunteer who didn't need it and we'd go play. As for condition lately, it was obviously much better than the OP had 2 years ago. Fairways like carpets, semi firm with some roll. The greens were receptive, smooth and true, but not especially fast- maybe a 10 tops. Played other courses later in the week that were quicker. For a treat, it's a decent course at $99 for now- but once it gets to Jan-Mar, the prices are a bit steep at $160 for morning time and isn't quite worth it. Played from the Green tee box which was plenty, especially with the stiff wind that was blowing. From the Blue, it would have been a real bear on some holes- an extra 40 yds or more into the wind. The Ranger actually was working the course- we went out as a twosome after a third didn't show. And this was following 3 groups of 3somes who were all together. The starter got them out early and tried to get us a cushion of a few holes. We were good until the 4th hole when we caught the group in front as they were just teeing off. (water right, bunkers left, dead into the wind- an easy hole to have a bit of a slow down). We let them go, and they moved pretty good to the hole so it wasn't a terrible wait. Wait on the next tee was a bit longer, though. We saw the Ranger coming towards us and he came over to tell us the group leading the 2 others were almost 2 holes behind. He told them to pick it up a bit and not worry about the group behind. He also told them that he would be checking up on them. Well, they picked it up and the others kept up pace and there was very little waiting at all. Maybe a minute or two while they finished up on a par 3, and only once any more than that on a tricky long hole into the wind. Nice to see them actually caring about the pace out there.

• 1 month later...
Oh, and a postscript- I just realized that I forgot about what the OP mentioned about the bathroom being locked. There is a KEY on the same keychain that the cart key is on. They keep the bathrooms locked for whatever reasons (private gated community). But yes, you need to use the key to open the door. The Starter never mentioned it and I forgot about it since I last played. The guy I played with was a local and reminded me about it when I hopped out of the cart for a quick.'go'.

Originally Posted by GoingfortheGreen

I don’t know if this course can get into shape before the Champions Outback Pro-Am in about a month.

There is no more Outback for the Champions Tour.  They could not find a sponsor so they canceled......I have volunteered there for 5 years and will miss it....as for the course conditions.....we have not had a bad winter here....a little dry, but that's all...it has been very mild....been playing every weekend in shorts.

Originally Posted by Fozcycle

There is no more Outback for the Champions Tour.  They could not find a sponsor so they canceled......I have volunteered there for 5 years and will miss it....as for the course conditions.....we have not had a bad winter here....a little dry, but that's all...it has been very mild....been playing every weekend in shorts.

I was talking to our superintendent and he was saying something about this weather really screwing things up. I enjoy not having to wear long pants, but apparently the greens are getting diseases not normally seen on Bermuda grass - stuff they usually only see in the Carolinas.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!