IGNORED

Golf Galaxy Horror Stories?!?!?

Note: This thread is 5137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Posing a question:

Have any of you had 'horror stories' with Golf Galaxy? I'm coming off of one. Not sure if I want to post the dirty details on here...just wondering if any of you have had bad experiences with them.

I will say that some of their business practices as a RETAILER (taking the golf component out of it completely) are less than stellar in my opinion.

Have any of you had bad experiences?

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I had not been to the store here in Toledo until I purchased a three pack lesson this winter from them. The instructor was very helpful in working out some of my swing issues. I also had a new shaft installed in my driver and they seemed to good job with it. I had a driver fitting and it was useful enough to tell me that I hit my current driver just as well as the new larger and lighter ones. I know that with the fitting that the goal for them is to sell me a new driver, but they really did'nt push it. The one thing that sucks is that they only have one simulator there and it always seems to be busy. Sorry that you had a bad experience with them.

i have yet to have a bad experience with them and i deal with them quite often. everytime i have asked to demo a new club or use the simulator it, they let me do so and i really don't get bothered much. i haven't purchased much from them as i think some prices on their used stuff is a little high and i tend to buy more used than new. also, GG is owned by Dick's Sporting Goods so I think it may just be your location, both companies have good reputaitions. sorry about what happened in your case, but you might want to try them again later on.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

I used to go to the Galaxy store often in Nashville. Great staff and the prices were always reasonable. Now I am in Bham and all I have is Edwin Watts and Dicks. I stay away from Dicks, but have warmed up to the Watts guys for sure..

Here in Boise, we don't have a lot of options when it comes to golf stores, so I have to use Golf Galaxy. I don't think the prices are that great and the staff, at least here in Boise, are a joke.

I took about five years off from playing and last summer was my first year back. I wanted to get new equipment and since, in my hiatus, I'd been out of touch with the golf community , I stopped by GG to find out about any new technology. I told the guy I was getting back into the game and asked for his recommendations. He didn't ask about my experience level, shot shape, had I been fitted before, what clubs was I currently using, handicap, long irons or hybrids, brand preference...nothing. Hell, he didn't even ask if I was righty our lefty. Instead, he took me to a mid-level set that would've been okay for everyone and anyone and recommended them. Needless to say, I beat feet out of there, costing them $1000+ in sales.

On another occasion with a different salesperson and a conversation too crazy to rehash, I decided I'll never listen to a word anyone in that store has to say.

I've seen some of the GG staff at our local range and after watching their swings, I find it hard to fathom them handing out golf club advice.

So, not really any horror stories, but I "try" not to spend too much money in there.

On the opposite side of the coin, The PGA Superstore in Scottsdale, AZ is the best golf shop I've ever visited; knowledgeable staff, huge selection, great prices, and good atmosphere. On the few rainy days we had during my trip to Phoenix, I spent hours in that place.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

I wouldn't call this a Horror story, but it sort of pissed me off. 3 years ago I went there to have my clubs regripped. The "supposed" PGA professional gave me some sample grips, watched me hold them and showed me how the size is gauged. I was then told I needed one size larger than standard. Ok. I had all my clubs regripped. Last year I went to my proshop to get fitted for hybrids. While holding the club, for grip size, I was asked if this is how I play golf, because my grip was wrong, I was holding the club in my palms, not my fingers as one should. I had to change all my grips again to one size smaller. By ball strike became straighter and more accurate after this. I don't know if this guy at GG was lazy, simply trying to make a sale, didn't know anything about gripping the club, or all 3. So I go there only for accessories such a balls, gloves, tees. And even still, I would rather order from TGW, then drive to the GG or even Golfsmith anyway, which are both a 30 minute drive, most of the time in traffic.

I've never had a problem with them. I've taken lessons there, had my clubs re-gripped, bought equipment, and demo'd clubs, all without issue. I will say the staff can be less than helpful, but I think that's the norm nowadays--service everywhere sucks.

I took a couple clubs there to have them regripped once, and found they went much further to be helpful than I ever expected from a chain retailer. It's the only one I've ever been to, but I've been back many times and never had any complaints.

I have generally had good experiences with Golf Galaxy. Bought a package of lessons, and the pro told me so drop in, call, or e-mail him if I had any swing glitches I couldn't overcome. If time is slack, he'll give me a quick mini-lesson on the spot.

Made appointment to be fit for driver I now use, and got an hour of testing different models.

Big thing: I save detailed questions for times when the store isn't too busy.

And, from what I understand, the player's reps are salaried employees - not commissioned. Not sure how much the hiring is done by GG central, vs. the individual stores.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't had much problem with the store itself. Little pricey, is all. Staff's been pretty helpful.

Did have the least useful lesson I'd had or heard about, there. Pro watched me hit balls into a net for like ten solid minutes without saying a thing. Then took some video, tinkered around with edititing it. Told me, 'Looks pretty good.' Then back to silently hit balls into the net for another ten minutes. At the end of the half-hour, his primary suggestion was to change my waggle a bit. That was the 'plan' for me to work on until next time. "Watch your waggle."

Now that I've gotten a bit of information down about the swing and realize where my problems tend to arise -- He was actually on to something. Just about every directional problem I have comes from my initial wrist cock. However, it was in a roundabout way that at my level of experience (None) I had no way of deciphering what he meant by that or why it made a difference or...

Either way, haven't had any real reason to shy away from the store, though the guys at Watts have been far more helpful.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

I had not been to the store here in Toledo until I purchased a three pack lesson this winter from them. The instructor was very helpful in working out some of my swing issues. I also had a new shaft installed in my driver and they seemed to good job with it. I had a driver fitting and it was useful enough to tell me that I hit my current driver just as well as the new larger and lighter ones. I know that with the fitting that the goal for them is to sell me a new driver, but they really did'nt push it. The one thing that sucks is that they only have one simulator there and it always seems to be busy. Sorry that you had a bad experience with them.

This is the store I go to and I haven't really had any problems there. The workers seem to know what they are talking about and are more than willing to help you with any questions.

Driver- SuperTri 9.5*
Wood- 906 F2 13*
Hybrids- Rescue TP 17*
Irons(4-PW)- R9 TP w/ KBS Tour
Wedge-ZTP 52* w/ KBS Tour Wedge-58* VokeyPutter- Studio Select New Port 2 Mid-SlantBall-TP Black/Red

Looks like I just have a bad store locally. I know the one in Akron is pretty good...but it's a HIKE for me to get out there.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

No one has answered the OP's question. Everyone is commenting on personnel which will always be hit or miss in any business. He is upset about a business practice which should be universal across their stores. TGW had some bad press on the blgs a few years ago because they delay shipping on international credit cards as a matter of policy, they do some fact checking before shipping, and people were posting hate rants over it.
OK OP so what policy bugged you?

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I get the impression that GG staff are shy on giving advice but that seems like a resonable practice; don't want to promote one brand over another or provide non professional opinions. After all, it is a big box chain; compare Home Depot to Ace Hardware.

I live close to two locations and have had only good experiences at each store.

I am curious about the OP's complaint.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I have had nothing but good experiences with Golf Galaxy here in Ohio. They fitted me with a new driver and were very courteous and left the choice of drivers entirely up to me once it was determined exactly what was best for me. Other stores in Ohio have not been as good as they were, pushing the upper end drivers.

I work in a pro-shop at a golf course, our biggest competitor is a store called Golf town, which is pretty much the Canadian version of golf galaxy. They send me in to spy on prices and deals so that we can stay on par with them (because you know you will drive thirty minutes to save 5 dollars on a new driver... once I've spent thirty minutes fitting you of course). Sometimes I feel like seeing their sales strategy. I went in and told them I needed a new driver and had no idea what I wanted. With out any emotion he grabs a Ping Rapture V2 12* regular shaft and put me in the simulator. I have a 112 mph driver swing and as you can see I am used to a 9.5* driver with a stiff shaft, as you can imagine I was hitting it 250 yards straight up getting like 200 hundred carry, I asked him if it was the right specs for me and he said "absolutely" (face-Palmy). He simply picked the most expensive driver he had in stock and put it in my hands, its horrible.
Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

In any retail busines you will find people who only want to be Salesperson of the week, month, year no matter what it takes. I have to drive 45 mins. to the Golf Galaxy in Indianapolis, which is right next door to a Golfsmith. Golf Galaxy is usually higher in price on most items but I have found something nice about them that no other store has. I am an Advantage Club Member (free) and scan my card with every purchase which get's me discount coupons , every 300 points I get 10.00 voucher, so here's how it worked out , I had a 50.00 off coupon over 250.00 and 20.00 worth of vouchers plus an extra 100 point coupon. I purchased a Sky Caddie SG 3.5 for 299.00 less 50.00 coupon, less 20.00 vouchers and the bonus points meant I bought the Sky Caddie for 229.00 out of pocket and with the purchase and point coupon got 400 points which meant another 10.00 voucher in the mail, so I don't mind shopping there, but I don't put much stock in what the sales people have to say about what I need.

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

No one has answered the OP's question. Everyone is commenting on personnel which will always be hit or miss in any business.

The OP was vague and never dropped dime. He asked if we've had any bad experiences and we spoke up. As far as horror story, it's a vague question...one man's horror story is another man's fiance.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

Note: This thread is 5137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!