IGNORED

Glasses, Contacts, and Polarization Questions????

Note: This thread is 5063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After reading that polarized lenses can effect depth perception, I decided to give contacts another try.

I origionally played in the Acuvue 2 contacts with M-Frame Oakleys (highschool, college, etc...), worked great, couldnt even tell they were in.

I recently attempted to go back to that after a 5 year run with glasses only. I have tried the Acuvue 2, and the Acuvue Oasis, so far and they both feel like they are made out of cat hair.

Questions:

1. Anyone ever look into the polarization thing (is the depth perception thing really an issue?)? Notice any differences?
2. Anyone have a type of contact they recommend, or have had luck with?

The doc said I have a "slieight" astigmatism in one eye, not in the other.

Many thanks for any input,

-Beane

I wore contacts for 10 years (and always played golf in them). I always wore polarized sunglasses over them. I had the laser eye surgery last year and don't need corrective lenses anymore, but I still wear polarized sunglasses. I've never heard that polarized lenses affect depth perception. Almost everyone in my regular group wears polarized sun glasses.

If I remember correctly, my contacts were always Bausch & Laumb SofLens Toric. I also had an astigmatism. Any decent eye doctor will work with you to find something that is comfortable. Mine weren't too uncomfortable, just bothersome when there was a lot of wind/dust/etc.

+1

I could of almost wrote that post myself, except I wore my lenses for about 15 years.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

My mom works for an optometrist so I have many (more than 10) pairs of sunglasses. I also require corrective lenses and I wear dailies (because I am lazy). The best sunglasses for golf by far are Oakleys with their G30 lenses. I have Flak Jaket XLJs with the G30 lenses and it reveals contrast. If I am looking down the fairway I can see they way the hills are shaped at 300 yards its fantastic. The one downside is that the lenses are like pink in color which isn't very manly.

Polarized lenses are mostly useless for golf unless you lose a lot of balls in the water and have a tendency to look for them because that is the main use of polarized sunglasses, looking into water.
Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

• Administrator

I've never had any problems with polarized glasses. I sometimes wear those, and sometimes I wear contacts and non-prescription sunglasses. Some of those are polarized, some are just darker... it's all the same to me. I also don't know how polarization scientifically makes any sense to depth perception. If anything, due to the glare reduction, I almost think it could

help , but because it's never seemed to have an effect, I've never really looked into it. I just now did a very little amount of research, and it's led me to believe it's either backwards or a possible wive's tale type thing. One phrase on my clipboard is "Reflective glare significantly reduces visual acuity and depth perception." Since polarized lenses reduce glare... they're good for depth perception, not the opposite.
Polarized lenses are mostly useless for golf unless you lose a lot of balls in the water and have a tendency to look for them because that is the main use of polarized sunglasses, looking into water.

That's true, but as a photographer, I also know that glare - simple reflections (particularly if the leaves and/or grass are wet) - is greatly reduced as well. Polarization also reduces the overall brightness of a scene (4x to 8x is common in photography). So no, it has more uses than scoping out bonefish on the saltwater flats.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my younger brother is in the pgm program and they had the opportunity try out some nike contact lenses that were designed to bring out the contrast in the greens but other than that I don't beleive there were any other advantages.

Having recently picked up a non-polarized sunglass which I have yet to try on course, I had also considered whether a polarized glass would be useful. My supposition is that it frankly wouldn't matter much on the tee/fairway, but getting lazy and leaving them on around the green could cause problems reading putts.

With grain running away from you, I think the glare coming off the bent grass may potentially be reduced, increasing read difficulty. Dependent of course on the specific polarization used, I would prefer to retain a regular sunglass, especially when I have a putter in hand.
Tools: Vector 370cc 9° w/GD YS-6 (S) @ 46" or SnakeEyes Elasteel 230cc 10° w/UST ProForce 65 (R) @ 46" / 3W: SnakeEyes Elasteel w/UST ProForce 75 (R) / UW: Dynacraft HyperSteel 16° w/Mercury Pro-Kevlar (R) / 4W-7W: Dynacraft LCG 16°-24° w/Rifle Ti-Bore (R) / 5i-Pw: GolfSmith Elasteel cavity...

That's true, but as a photographer, I also know that glare - simple reflections (particularly if the leaves and/or grass are wet) - is greatly reduced as well. Polarization also reduces the overall brightness of a scene (4x to 8x is common in photography). So no, it has more uses than scoping out bonefish on the saltwater flats.

Coming out of a technologist degree where I spend a lot of time in an optics/photonics lab I absolutely agree with you that polarized lenses reduce glare but fail to see the a need to reduce glare to such a degree on the golf course, that is why I did not mention it. I have played in most light conditions dawn to dusk (and night for that matter just don't tell the club) and have never really been annoyed by glare.

Having recently picked up a non-polarized sunglass which I have yet to try on course, I had also considered whether a polarized glass would be useful. My supposition is that it frankly wouldn't matter much on the tee/fairway, but getting lazy and leaving them on around the green could cause problems reading putts. With grain running away from you, I think the glare coming off the bent grass may potentially be reduced, increasing read difficulty. Dependent of course on the specific polarization used, I would prefer to retain a regular sunglass, especially when I have a putter in hand.

I don't see how that could ever be a problem seeing as almost every golfer I have ever seen (including myself) that wears sunglasses removes them on the green. My habit is as soon as my glove comes off my sunglasses comes off.

Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

• Administrator
Coming out of a technologist degree where I spend a lot of time in an optics/photonics lab I absolutely agree with you that polarized lenses reduce glare but fail to see the a need to reduce glare to such a degree on the golf course, that is why I did not mention it. I have played in most light conditions dawn to dusk (and night for that matter just don't tell the club) and have never really been annoyed by glare.

That's not the same kind of glare I'm talking about. Photographers - particularly landscape photographers - see an increase in saturation. The greens are typically darker and more their natural color, while the "glare" present from the somewhat waxy surface (to varying degrees) of foliage can create a more "washed out" look that's lower in contrast.

The "glare reduction" and correlating increase in contrast is very real, and very noticeable.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know where I can find some sunglasses that aren't too expensive (*cough* oakley *cough*)? I had a pair but they broke...

In the bag:
Driver: 907 D2/Proforce V2 R-flex
Hybrid: Burner '07 3 Hybrid/Re-Ax Shaft/19* (4* draw bias)
Irons: AP1 4-7i
AP2 8-PWedges: Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52.06/56.11) VR Forged Chrome 60.06Putter: Ignite 001 Ball: Pro V1/ One Tour/

They may not be golf glasses, but I usually pick up my sunglasses at Walgreens.

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

I have a pair of Champion brand C9 sunglasses that I got at Target for $18. They do the job. Sundog sunglasses are very good, and they are only $20.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
I have a pair of Champion brand C9 sunglasses that I got at Target for $18. They do the job. Sundog sunglasses are very good, and they are only $20.

Additionally, we're reviewing some Tifosi sunglasses, and they're really quite good for the price.

You can get cheap polarized sunglasses anywhere these days
they shoudl be decent there are some small companies that make them
i can't think of any off the top of my head but just have a look around

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Additionally, we're reviewing some Tifosi sunglasses, and they're really quite good for the price.

Nice, I've heard some good things about those.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

woah i like those tifosis

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Note: This thread is 5063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!