IGNORED

The Shaft Forum

ACE
Note: This thread is 5116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As most of us know, the shaft plays a huge part in the performance of the club. However, with so many shafts that have become available to us, it is hard to really know and understand the benefits of them all.
So I prepose we create a forum, just for shafts. Any information you can contribute to any shaft is welcome.
The more info everyone contributes, the more information we will have.
Ill add the first contribution. I'm posting on the Voodoo because really, I have never hit a shaft that felt so consistent.

Aldila VooDoo
VooDoo shaft has the new S-core technology -- a patent-pending stabilized core technology. The S-core boasts a high modulus carbon stabilization rib running the length of the shaft. The technology's sole purpose is to increase distance and accuracy through stabilizing the shaft's cross section. The technology has been reported to increase the shaft's hoop strength by as much as 80% over conventional graphite shafts and as much as 60% over competitors. The stabilization of the shaft significantly reduces ovaling and deformation. The end result? Maximization of energy transfer.
Driver: Titleist 909 D2 (VooDoo shaft)
Woods: Titleist 909 D3 (15 deg, VooDoo shaft)
Hybrids: Mizuno MX700 (20 deg)
Irons: Titleist ZB (4-pw)
Wedge:
Titleist Vokey 52°, 56°, 60°Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select NewportPutter Cover: Scotty Cameron 2009 Cupid Dog -WhiteBalls: Srixon Z-Star

I put a GD YS6+ stiff in my Burner. But have found that it's more like most reg. shafts I have hit. As far as feel go's it's a great shaft. Try before you buy.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Please try before you buy. don't buy a shaft off of a recommendation from someone here. People can give quality ratings to a shaft but one shaft for one person may not even be close to being the right shaft for another.
I like the idea though. What shaft you are using, why, and some swing characteristics to help people understand what you are trying to achieve with that shaft can get people off in the right direction.

I'm using an Aldila NVS. Its a bit older but I do enjoy the feel of Aldila shafts. Most of the theirs are a bit tip softer than others meaning they may not be as stiff out of the box. I simple cut off the tip can help that. The kick point in my shaft is a mid. I'm thinking about getting something with a higher kick point to give me a lower ball flight though as I want a more penetrating flight. Its a 65S and i would never want to go heavier than that, lighter maybe but not much heavier because i like to get a good feel of the club head through the swing!

I have tried/demoed several shafts and still haven't found one that I like better than my Harrison Pro 2.5Ti (see sig). Yes, it is a hideous fluorescent yellow, but it is the most consistent that I have been able to find. Sometimes it almost feels like the harder you swing, the straighter it will go...which is nice

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

I have I-mix ft9 that came with Fabuki tour stiff. I've tried Graffaloy Pro launch red with axis stiff, and Aldila DVS stiff. For me the fabuki spins too much and tends to balloon and either stops dead or backs up a yard or so, the graffaloy feels stiffer and when I hit right its 15-20 yds longer than the fabuki and I get good roll with it. I tend to be all over the place with it though. The DVS just plain feels smooth and I'm usually in or close to the fairway with it. It's goes quite a bit farther than the other two with a very nice trajectory plus roll. I think I'm done searching, for now anyway.

Driver FT 9 DVS 60 S
3 wood x 3 wood C S
Hybrid TP Mid 2H Irod S
Hybrid Mid 3H Irod S
Hybrid Mid 4H Irod SIrons 6- PW X-20 Tours DG S300Wedges X-Tour 50, 54, 60Putter Hybrid two bar

And let us not forget the other clubs!

Remember the BiMatrx?! When it first appeared, I tried the (S) edition in a driver I was building at the time but had to pull it shortly thereafter. Felt like a darn telephone pole and has since been relegated to a set-up and swing alignment tool. But... the (R) I've had in storage will soon be used in a new 3w I'm putting together, tipped with a Wishon 949MC.

That stable tip is what I am presently looking to use with this high-COR head, which will be in periodic contact with the turf.

Another thing to mull over is not getting "too light" with your shaft choices. I know this runs counter to alot of the media hype we see every day, but the next time you get a chance to see PLFTP's with Nick Price, listen to what he has to say on that subject. YMMV, of course.
Tools: Vector 370cc 9° w/GD YS-6 (S) @ 46" or SnakeEyes Elasteel 230cc 10° w/UST ProForce 65 (R) @ 46" / 3W: SnakeEyes Elasteel w/UST ProForce 75 (R) / UW: Dynacraft HyperSteel 16° w/Mercury Pro-Kevlar (R) / 4W-7W: Dynacraft LCG 16°-24° w/Rifle Ti-Bore (R) / 5i-Pw: GolfSmith Elasteel cavity...

I think this thread is missing a major component of what should be included when talking about a shaft... Are you talking about an after market "Insert Shaft Name Here" or are you talking about a stock "Insert Shaft Name Here".

An OEM Ozik plays differently than a stock Ozik from Titleist, TaylorMade, etc.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I think this thread is missing a major component of what should be included when talking about a shaft... Are you talking about an after market "Insert Shaft Name Here" or are you talking about a stock "Insert Shaft Name Here".

True...club companies have shaft companies make the shaft to their specs. It would still be called by it's aftermarket name in most cases though. Other than spec tweaks they are useually manufactured with the same idea and materials.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I am keen on the UST Proforce V2...

V2 Woods

FOR THE PLAYER SEEKING A MEDIUM BALL FLIGHT, INCREASED BALL SPEED AND SUPERIOR CONTROL

Proforce V2 is designed for players seeking a flatter, more penetrating ball flight. The firm tip section produces a medium launch condition and increased ball speed. The Proforce V2 uses the most superior materials and design to produce a very stable, consistent golf shaft. The super low-torque provides maximum control for today’s larger club heads. The Proforce V2 is available in 56 to 77 gram shaft models. MSRP = $95.00

http://www.ustmamiya.com/shaft_model...uct.aspx?id=77

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

I'm curious, where do all of you get the opportunity to demo so many shafts?
What's in the bag...

Driver --- G15 9* Aldila Serrano
3 Wood - Sumo2 15* Aldila NV
5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

I'm curious, where do all of you get the opportunity to demo so many shafts?

There is a Golfer's Warehouse pretty close to me. I just had an hour session with the pro there on the Ping ball flight monitor. I tried out a handful of drivers I was interested in with a half dozen shaft combinations on each driver.

It is a great learning session. You get a lot of data on your swing statistics and ball flight.

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

Good thread.

I've started building clubs and learning a little about shafts as I go. I usually go with "classic" shafts (read CHEAP) that were introduced a few years ago, and throw them in a club to see how they play. I also have some clubs purchased with pretty good aftermarket shafts because my GG doesn't upcharge for good shafts in their used clubs.

I play a "made for" Aldila VS Proto 80S in my Ping Rapture 3wd. This feels pretty stout to me and I think the "made for" is very close to the aftermarket shaft. Very nice mid launch with lots of stability, one of my favorite shafts. Has a very solid feel to it, but it's also responsive at impact if that makes sense.

Just picked up an iMix FT-5 with Aldila VS Proto 60S. My understanding is the iMix are true to aftermarket specs for a shaft. I like this one, again this is a mid flight, low spin combo for me. Great shaft.

I have Proforce V2 HiLaunch in Ping G10 3&5 woods. These do as they say, very high ball flight but very stable. I think these are great 5wd shafts, I get a ton of distance and accuracy. I think they're a bit too high for a 3wd though, if you use the 3wd off the tee.

Proforce V2 65G Stiff in a Cleveland Hibore XL. I love the feel of this shaft, I tipped it an inch as I knew it would be a little light for my swing. This setup hits huge towering bombs, it may be the longest driver I have right now. Seems pretty stable but may cause a small fade for me, have to hit it more to really figure out if it's the shaft or my swing. Can't wait to try a 75g in this shaft, I think it may be perfect. The Proforce just feels right to me, best feel of any shaft I've used.

Grafalloy Prolaunch Red in a '07 Burner 3wd. This is their 44" (uncut) 75g shaft. This is a bit odd as the shaft is supposed to be low launch. I hit this club very high, but it doesn't balloon, just hits huge towering shots off the tee or to some extent off the fairway. Ball gets up quick and carries forever. Jury is still out, but it is a nice stable shaft with feel I like (I like boardier shafts).

Aldila NVS 65S in an FT-3. As expected, it hits the ball very high. Gets up quick and levels out with huge carry. Shaft feels weak to flex but is not unstable for me. Very easy club to swing with the responsive shaft. I was surprised that I liked this one as it feels loose.

Graphite Design Pershing 65X in an '08 Tour Burner. I bought this shaft brand new on Ebay for $5. So far it feels great, feels quite stiff to flex but is responsive when want to step it up a bit. Midflight, low spin. May try one in a Stiff.

Harrison Saga 75S in a 9015D. I trimmed this one 1/2", but it still feels a bit loose to flex. Feels good when swinging, very responsive, and seems plenty stable when I try to hammer one. I'd like to try one in an XStiff. Produces mid flight, very low spin flight in the 9015.

Diamana Whiteboard 65S (taylormade TP branded) in a retail Speedline. Just hit this for the first time over the weekend. I hit the ball very high, so this is a midflight setup for me. I wasn't swinging very well so I only had a few good shots to see what it would do. Midflight surprised me from what you hear about this shaft, but I have never found a shaft that would provide "low" ball flight for me. It definitely provides huge rollout, so I believe it's extremely low spin. Couple terrible swings still resulted in good distance due to rollout, this will be an interesting club when I'm swinging well, and on firmer summer fairways. Hit two on the screws that were right there with the longest drives I've had, even though the club only plays at 44.25". As advertised, the Whiteboard is extremely stable feeling, yet it's smooth.

Aldila NV 65S in a 905R. This is a stock shaft, but I believe these are "real" NVs as opposed to a made by shaft. This may play a bit stiffer to flex due to the bore-thru head. It feels stiffer then other NVs I've hit. Still a little loose feeling compared to a Proforce or the Whiteboard, but not bad. Very responsive, nice mid to high flight in that head. I've only hit it on the range, but this may be a sneaky bomber. Shaft responded well to nice easy swings and seemed to carry very well.

Aldila NV 85S in an '07 Burner. I installed this shaft thinking it would be mid flight and low spin. Turns out, in this head, it's mid to high flight for me, low spin. Acts similar to the 65s, ball gets up and carries a long way. Need to put a bit more into it to get the shaft to react, as expected. I think this would be a great fairway shaft, maybe unnecessarily heavy in a driver for me.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

My only comment regarding shafts is to absolutely TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

This was mentioned in here a couple of times, and I couldn't agree more. If you like the feel of, and perform well with a specific shaft, make sure you take home that specific one. Slight variations in manufacturing makes it impossible to demo a shaft, and then order that model and have it play exactly the way the one in your hands was.

My other two cents is that you can't always go off of what the manufacturer says the shaft should do. How a shaft should perform/feel and actually does perform/feel can be completely different, for the simple reason that everyone puts a different move on the ball. For instance, I recently did a driver fitting and the two shafts that were performing best and felt the best were the Diamana White Board and the Bassara 83. If you look at the Mitsubishi Rayon catalog, it will tell you that these shafts feel and perform on almost opposite ends of the spectrum, yet in my hands they felt very similar and the performance was very similar as well. My clubfitter was baffled, but I left happy with a new weapon, so mission accomplished.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I recently bought the FT 9 tour i mix and bought it off callaway preowned and bought the Fubuki tour 63 s shaft with it. I had two weeks to demo the shaft. It seemed really stiff to me and I sent it back for the same shaft non-tour model. Not sure if it right yet but definitely less stiff. I was thinking of trying the Graphite design ys-6 but I am not in a big hurry. The imix is great and I got it for a good price so I should lose much if I make a change. I am still having a hard time finding shafts that I like as much as the UST pro force shafts. They have a great feel and are cheap.

Brian

I'm really liking the shafts on my current driver and fairways.

I know they are the "made for" versions but they are very much to my liking. I'm using stiff flex in all three and for the first time am happy with all three club shafts. My previous 3 wood was too whippy, 5 wood too stiff and so on. These are great for me. They are easy to hit but yet retain enough spine to stay straight and maintain a consistent trajectory.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I have hit so many shafts but thanks to a professional fitting I have some things that I would like to share:

1) Get your shaft set to the right CPM. Moreso than flex, various companies label flexes different but CPM is always constant. Whenever I buy a new shaft, I try to get it at a CPM that is anywhere from 258 to 262. (Talking about drivers)

2) Figure out if you're a swinger or hitter. Swingers tend to have a better transition and smoother tempo and can go with a torque that is higher than that of a hitter. Hitters are generally more aggressive and need the lower torque to prevent twisting of the clubhead.

3) Ask what type of ball flight you are looking for and combine it with the right head. Some heads cause more spin, some less and the same goes with shafts.

When you can figure these things out, buying shafts becomes easier. All my shafts fall in the same parameter: low torque, mid ball flight and moderate spin.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Few things I've noticed/observed. First, mine are on iron shafts. I have taylormade's stock 85g superfast stiff steel shafts in my irons and after use have realized that once i got used to the irons and was grooving them as i do now, i need a heavier shaft with lower ball flight. This shaft seems to go out about 40 yards and balloon like no other. (using a 7I) I've come to notice the feel is much better (along with a lower ballflight) in the Project X 6.0 shafts as well as the KBS Tour Stiff shafts. At least in my personal experience. I've hit True Temper's in my old irons and have to say that out of whats' offered for iron shafts (with no restrictions on price), the KBS Tour/PX shafts are some of the best mid-low ball flight iron shafts out there.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I owned the Titleist 905R with a titleist speeder and I loved it but face cracked, So i have ordered the 909D2 with the upgrade of a Whiteboard 73 S. I was just wondering if i have made the right choice!! please help.

Note: This thread is 5116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!