IGNORED

Tiger's Irons

Xt1ncT
Note: This thread is 4182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was told by my coach just yesterday that I have great control but I need to stop worrying about distance because my distance is long already with my SW being 92 yards and 5 Iron 205 yards. My accuracy is what he is more interested in from 47 yards to 180 yards. He could really care less about the distance that I hit the clubs but it is good to have length at this time. Hopefully it will serve me well at the monday qualifier next year on web.com tour in Louisiana. As for Tiger and Phil, when there game is on, it is a beast to deal with because of the length of clubs along with the accuracy of there shots. As for there club selection, it is clear that they have clubs that are much different than outs in loft. Anytime you are hitting a 7 Iron 200 yards makes good TV but when you find out that the club is equal to a 5 Iron or 6 Iron, it makes more sense to us that are considered long hitters with normal lofted clubs. I guess if I make it to the show, I will do the same but until then I will just strike for accuracy so that my instructor stays off my back when I over swing to get more distance out of a club when I see the numbers of the PGA Long Hitting Pros.

Please keep in mind that irons by themselves only do so much for ball flight..  Some will have strong > weak lofts, but that is only half of the picture..  For years I have played X-16 Callaways and my PW is 46 degree.. However my launch angles are super high, whereas another person can use the exact same club and not come close to distance or flight.. Tiger might use weak lofts, but he might have a stronger swing.. This is why so many club manufacturers are using adjustable drivers.. I use a R-5 by Taylor Made, and trust me, not all of us get the same ball flight with the exact same club.. As the saying goes, "to each their own".. This is why I always tell friends and others.. NEVER try to mimic another players game using the same equipment believing you're get the same results.. What works for them, may not work for you..

Oh this reminds me.. I need to update my equipment profile as I switched to Adams..  Technically the Adams have a stronger loft, which explains my increased distance.. BUT I also maintain the same high ball flight.. It's a win/win for me when I switched to Adams from my old Callaway's..

• Administrator

I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread bump from over SIX years prior. Wowee. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SloverUT

I just like his answer. I've been winning since I was 14 years old, so why change?  Awesome.

funny how he wont change his lofts, but he will repeatedly change his golf swing.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Pakoh

funny how he wont change his lofts, but he will repeatedly change his golf swing.

Why should he change his lofts?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by luu5

"Why should he change his lofts?" +17 yards, lol

I think he's one of the longer iron players on tour even now, as well as having always had a great long iron game. He's also very picky about his distances and ball flight, so I don't see him going for gimmicks to get distance, except maybe with the driver which he struggles with. That's most likely why he's changed his swing so much, not because he wasn't winning, but the combination of injuries and ball flight.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

I think he's one of the longer iron players on tour even now, as well as having always had a great long iron game. He's also very picky about his distances and ball flight, so I don't see him going for gimmicks to get distance, except maybe with the driver which he struggles with. That's most likely why he's changed his swing so much, not because he wasn't winning, but the combination of injuries and ball flight.

Boring.

Originally Posted by iacas

Why should he change his lofts?

at first i thought that was a joke.  on second thought i cant tell if you are serious.  in case you are serious...

i do not think he should change his lofts.  When you are dominating the golf world you probably shouldnt change your swing either.  I will admit that i am no expert on tiger.  I have only been playing a little over 3 years (this thread is older then my golf career).  Maybe it was an injury that made him change his swing (you would know better then I), but i seem to remember the golf analysts saying that he likes to tinker with his swing.  So to me that is a funny response he has to the question of his lofts.

Originally Posted by luu5

Boring.

Well, he hits his driver badly enough to keep it interesting. Also remember he does often carry what is nominally a 2 iron (maximum GI features, longer and lighter shaft than his irons, 18 degrees... Basically doesn't want to call it a hybrid), so he has as much range in lofts as anyone in his set. Then again, I'm sure if he switched to TM he'd be the longest on tour again because you know how bad Nike stuff is... :P

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 4182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!