IGNORED

Pro golfers & gyms

RichF
Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since Tiger started getting muscular, I keep hearing/reading that this golfer works out, that golfer pumps iron, blah-blah-blah, so howcome in 2009:
The Masters: play-off between Angel Cabrera / Kenny Perry / Chad Campbell - all old and pretty chubby.
US Open: won by Lucas Glover, hardly a 'gym-rat'.
The Open: runner-up by 1 stroke - 59 year old Tom Watson.
PGA Championship: Yang Yong-eun, also approaching 40 and out-of-shape.

Face it - being fit and in-shape or golf is pure bollocks...so why bother?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I wouldn't call Y E Yang out of shape, nor Lucas Glover.

I think some of this has to do with just seeing these guys on TV rather than in person. Look at Justin Rose. To me he looks like a little girly man but in reality he's 6'3"; hardly a girly man. Your strongest point is with Angel Cabrera, Kenny Perry, and Chad Campbell, but I bet you'd be surprised if you met them in person. They are big guys and while yes they aren't the pinnacle of fitness they are still pretty stong dudes. Bottom line: hitting a golf ball 300 yards takes a lot of strength. But that strenght happens across a very small window of time. Most golfers are out of shape, but they are able to exert an impressive amount of strength/energy in the time it takes to swing a club and hit the ball.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Tom Watson...Fred Couples - neither of those guys are big or even 'look' strong....but at their old ages, both bang it out there still.

It's technique.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Why bother? Because in recent years, the trend has been distance over finesse. Some players can partially compensate with new equipment, however since almost every player upgrades, there isn't really a competitive advantage there. Other players need to pump iron to get more muscle, thus hitting it longer. Some players just have long swings, although not classically "fit". Cabrera and Perry are prime examples.

As championship courses push closer and closer to 8,000 yards, there's an impetus more than ever to be stronger. Yes, Tiger did spark this off in the early 2000s, but it's also reinforced by the younger players joining this tour. Mcilroy, Kim, Villegas, Ishikawa, D. Johnson, Quiros, etc, are all exceptionally long. If you're short, you're only competitive at limited # of events.

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

let's forget majors for a second,

how about just so you can carry your own bag for 18 holes? So you can walk 18 without getting winded? There are 1000's of reasons to get in the gym and work on your fitness that don't involve hitting the ball 300 yards. even if you don't bench your body weight, you can still benefit from core exercises and basic arm and shoulder exercises by having increased muscle control. These will help you hit that 250 yard driver straight 8-9 out of 10 times instead of 3-4. Also, you get the benefit of living longer, feeling better, and being able to play more holes on any given day. Without a doubt, anyone that works out will improve their golf game. You'll notice, Cabrera rarely contends despite winning two majors. I'd argue he would contend far more often with his amazing ball striking if he hit the gym once in a while. Also, he might actually be able to use a normal length putter if he lost a bit of the gut...

that being said, I love El Pato! He gives me hope for the sad day I'm overweight and attempting to play.

In my Navy Hoofer:
Driver: Titleist 909D2 9.5* UST ProForce V2 X-stiff
3W: 904F 15* DG X100
Hybrid: X-Hybrid 3i Fujikura Banzai Stiff
Irons: MP-57 X200 3-PW

Wedges: Gauge Design Handmade 54* and 60*

Putter: SSB LKG Custom "Masters Edition"

Ball: Penta, Pro-v1x

Other: Pinseeker 1500 Tournament

Since Tiger started getting muscular, I keep hearing/reading that this golfer works out, that golfer pumps iron, blah-blah-blah, so howcome in 2009:

Y.E. used to be professional bodybuilder. The guy's in shape.

In my Navy Hoofer:
Driver: Titleist 909D2 9.5* UST ProForce V2 X-stiff
3W: 904F 15* DG X100
Hybrid: X-Hybrid 3i Fujikura Banzai Stiff
Irons: MP-57 X200 3-PW

Wedges: Gauge Design Handmade 54* and 60*

Putter: SSB LKG Custom "Masters Edition"

Ball: Penta, Pro-v1x

Other: Pinseeker 1500 Tournament

The Masters:

Chad Campbell's not that old, and Cabrera has gotten into better fitness in the almost two years between his major victories. Among other things, he quit smoking and started playing better.

US Open:

I think you're confusing gym rat with people who looked like my governor in his prime. Glover has great fitness.

The Open:

Watson's in better shape than most people half his age. It's not like one of the 59 year olds at your club almost won.

PGA Championship:

Yes, he was so out of shape, he couldn't even lift his bag over his head, or almost drive a par-4 when it mattered, or hit out of the heavy rough, or ... oh, wait.

No, your examples are nonsense, and looking at 2008 it would be too. If Tim Herron wins the grand slam this year, I might agree with you if you try this next year.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Chad Campbell's not that old, and Cabrera has gotten into better fitness in the almost two years between his major victories. Among other things, he quit smoking and started playing better.

or stadler

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

Let's throw in that going to the gym doesn't necessarily mean working out and losing weight. There is also the flexibility portion of the game as well (Yoga, stretching, etc). Sure through the different medium available for more flexibility you will probably will lose weight, but let's not pigeon hold it to looking like tiger.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Y.E. used to be professional bodybuilder. The guy's in shape.

+1 on this one. Guy is pure muscle.

But that doesn't change the fact that golf is 100% about technique and not about being in amazing shape. It's clear you don't have to have Tiger's build to play this game at the highest of levels. But a swing that has both technique AND strength/flexibility/speed/whatever/fitness can possibly make you a better player- not definitely- but possibly. I say this because guys throughout the history of golf have changed their swings through a variety of means and not all of them became better players because of it. We hear stories of guys like Tiger constantly changing things and hey, it works out for him. This is isn't the case for everybody- far from it. Some pros will change their swing and they become worse players because of it and they ultimately lose their tour cards- never to get them back again. When you are lifting, exercising, etc. you are definitely changing the way you swing because you are changing your body so drastically. Now, I personally believe that if you're a 20 handicap like myself, getting in better shape when you were originally very much out of shape can only help you play better golf as long as you're practicing good technique and fundamentals. I could be wrong though. I guess I'll find that out this season. There's obviously no guarantees it will make me better. If not, oh well, as a consolation prize I get to be healthy and in shape. I'll take it.

Constantine

Yes...what Shindig said.

These guys are much more impressive in person. KJ Choi could double as a halfway decent fullback in college football. D. Johnson, N. Watney, B. Watson are all tall and lanky dudes....D. Johnson has a little more muscle. When these dudes step on the tee...it's a big shot brudder! The old saying that TV add's 15 pounds is true, much different in person. Hell...Jim Furyk looks "wirey strong" in person. These guys are pro's and look the part.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

KJ Choi could double as a halfway decent fullback in college football.

While we're at it, it wasn't that long ago that three-time major champion Vijay Singh worked as a bouncer.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

What this discussion fails to do is acknowledge that strength and power are related but not the same thing in golf. Power can come from muscle strength, arc, the ablity to explosively release your hands. What matters is identifying what your own power source is.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I personally believe there are two body parts that if they are stronger you can have the ability to be longer. (not are but could be). That is legs and forarms. And don't let looks decieve you. There are people who are very strong and atletic but fat as well. Just becuase you don't have the classic athletic build doesn't mean your not strong and flexable.

I workout myself. I don't do it to hit the ball farther but just to be healthier. If you walk like I do you really need to be in decent shape to play well for 18 holes. Where I live it is hilly and my legs burn walking at times and I can get my heartrate up around 140-150 on the steepest hills. I don't see how being more fit can be a bad thing.

Brian

I personally believe there are two body parts that if they are stronger you can have the ability to be longer. (not are but could be). That is legs and forarms. And don't let looks decieve you. There are people who are very strong and atletic but fat as well. Just becuase you don't have the classic athletic build doesn't mean your not strong and flexable.

Do you play on a Mountain? I use the hill profile on an exercise bike, set on level 8 or 9 push it pretty hard and still never get over 150. I am 54, 6' 230.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I personally believe there are two body parts that if they are stronger you can have the ability to be longer. (not are but could be). That is legs and forarms. And don't let looks decieve you. There are people who are very strong and atletic but fat as well.

I am one of those people. I was mountaing biking 30 miles a day at one point when I lived in Phoenix, and weighed 220 lbs. I ballooned up to 290 when I came back to Florida, but now am back down to 260. I have always been able to leg press about 450-500 lbs. My forearms are very, very strong due to the fact I play the piano for a living. A lot of people are suprised how strong and agile I am despite being overweight.

Now, my goal is to get back down to about 200, and be sexy and athletic... A guy can dream, can't he?

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!