IGNORED

How long do you keep your irons?

Note: This thread is 3682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am debating on getting new irons. I almost pulled the trigger today, but didn't do it. I have had Taylor Made 320 series irons since 2001. I have loved the r7 TP irons since they came out, and I was going to get them today because they were having a sale, but decided not to. In my head, I am thinking I need to hit my irons I have now better before I get better clubs. But, then I was also thinking that the TP's are from 2006 - 2008. Should I maybe look at current technology? (I hate the R9 line). Tomorrow is the last day of the sale...I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?!?!?!?!

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

I am using clubs from 06.....i think thats pretty new technology IMO
if new irons will give u that warm fuzzy feeling and u like and can afford them.......ask yourself this..."do you feel lucky punk!" !! hahhaha!

good luck w ur choice!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I Couldn't help but notice that you're from the Bay Area and have a similar set up. I love my r7's but they're not TP.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

I think you should upgrade.
Do you have to buy Taylormade Irons?
Some of them are heavily de-lofted.

Would you not think of moving to Titleist or Nike? They have very nice irons.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

My irons are from 2005 and I still love them. Haven't really found much out there that fits my eye any better. So I will probably use them until the grooves cave in. I would assume that using Irons for nearly ten years they would be pretty worn out. I don't know that iron technology for particularly for TP irons has really improved that much since 2008. I think the actual setup of the irons (pro combos, blades and CB's, etc...) have improved but the iron itself, I am not too sure. I say if you like them, then go ahead and get them...if you don't like them, bring them back or sell them.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I think you should upgrade.

From looking at his golf bag, it seems as though he's pretty set on TM. I am personally not that big of a TM fan and whole heartidly agree with you...but then again I am a little biased.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Go get 'em. You've lasted since 2001? Man, you deserve it.

I work hard at not changing each year to two years. Everyone has their vice, mine is golf and the endless $'s it consumes. Oh well, better than crack I guess.

What's in the bag...

Driver --- G15 9* Aldila Serrano
3 Wood - Sumo2 15* Aldila NV
5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

I have 2 sets of Wilson's from the 80's. One set is in mint shape but my 'player' set I always go back to are not mint but always serve me well. I say whatever works , works. Use whatever is treating you right. Regardless of age.
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

I'm a believer in getting what I want. If you want them and can afford it, get them . I think about buying new clubs every day.

i switched irons over the winter from big cavity backs (from a starter set) to the AP2s in my sig. The main reason for switching clubs was that I could hardly keep the ball down, something which is very important here because it's very windy and i'm able to work the ball more. they're also nicer to look at which gives me more confidence.

I have been using the same set up since 2003 (Taylor Made Firesole Irons & Driver & Mizuno T.P.Mills Putter) The last 3 years i haven't played that much golf, but have made a commitment to get back to regular play this year (as time allows) .
I just upgraded my entire bag except for Wedges to the Adams A4OS Irons, & I just scored a new Mizuno Bettinardi BC-3 putter about an hour ago..I have been in love with that putter since the first time I tried it at the golf shop, But $230 was over my budget for a putter,just got it off ebay for under $100. I also upgraded my driver to the Cleveland Hi-Bore .

I DO think at some point upgrading would be a good idea. The technology in golf in the last 10 years has been amazing and I think it can and will definitely help a persons game.

The best part about "my" upgrade... I sold all my old stuff (except my T.P. mills putter) and ended up buying everything on ebay with Only about $150 out of my pocket.. So to me Spending $150 and updating my entire bag was well worth it.

.........In My Bag........
Driver = FT-IQ Tour
2,3,4 = Iron/Wood = Bazooka Jmax

Putter = T.P. Mills
Irons = A4 OS..Wedges = Pure Spin..Cart Bag = .....Stand Bag = Bennington

My set is 10 years old, I keep grips new, and I occasionally change shafts as they become updated. I learned a long time ago that "...its not the club...". I will probably change to the "conforming clubs" when I have to. But, you only live once, if you like em' go get em'

-Beane

Definately upgrade, but I would definately look more at just Taylor Made if I were you. Theres really no need for a grown man to be a 'brand fanboy', and there are much better clubs than TM's right now. My Pings felt good for me, but I would try Titleist, Mizuno, Nike, Adams, and more, before i'd pull the trigger on a set of TM's. Not that I dont like TM, but you should buy what feels best, not what has the name you like. The bag full of TaylorMade suggests you have an unhealthy fixation with that brand.

My own bag reflects the same to me, but to be honest, I really wanted Titleist clubs, and the Pings just felt better for me. I bought them grudgingly, but I wasnt sorry once I started using them.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

People who think it's possible to buy a better game with technology will always be on the lookout for newer and "better" sticks. Hell, I think my 1991 Mizuno MP-11s with DG S300 shaft are the best irons ever manufactured, but that doesn't stop me from being a blades ho - it's one part hobby and 2 parts illness.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I used to be a nike ••••• just because they make decent products while staying within my price range. Then I tried the titleist AP1s and bought a barely used set for the same price as my nike irons. These things rip, although my ball flight is a little high. I really like the AP2s and they will definitely be my next step whenever I feel ready and have the extra cash.

I believe the R7 irons may be one of the biggest selling iron sets of all time. They are definitely solid.

As far as how long I keep my irons. I sell them and buy new ones whenever I feel like it and can afford it. Right now I am satisfied with my irons so there is no need, but when I had nike slingshots... oh boy... I definitely learned that there is no reason to keep a set of irons because you JUST bought them if they dont suit your swing. If you get the feeling you want new irons (which you obviously have or you wouldn't have made this thread) then go to golf galaxy and try some irons out! Although I will say that I hate testing irons on carpet/mats.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

it's one part hobby and 2 parts illness.

Haha, my wife tells me that its a sickness all the time. Thankfully, she has no problem with me spending money on hobbies, as long as the bills are paid and our savings goals are met. And as long as im not playing an extra 14 holes, im allowed to play all the golf I want. We're both into quite a few different sports, but golf is my main one now that hockey is out of the question, so golf gets all the money. (whole foot skin graphed from burns, cant wear a skate).

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I've had only one set of irons (10 years), but now that I'm getting into golf more I'm looking at getting a new set.

Irons: MP 57 with Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts
Driver: Big Bertha 460 (9 degree loft) with UST ProForce 66g V2X Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.14, Spin Milled Black Nickel 60.07, Spin Milled Black Nickel 52.08 (next purchase)
Putter: White Hot XG #6
Ball: TP Red

I have no problem with other sets, but why stray away from something that has been working. I tried the r7's wen the first came out and loved them, but didn't buy them because they are oversized, mine are midsized. But, at the time, I wasn't playing enough to start hitting a players club like the TPs, but they too felt great. Golfsmith was having a great deal, 15% off, and these clubs have never dropped in price ($699). I wanted to get them before they run out.

As for other brands, I HATE Callaway and especially NIKE. I think NIKE became a joke when they made the Slingshots. I would try Mizunos and Titleist, but I like the way TaylorMade is going in their technology (besides the r9 line).

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

Note: This thread is 3682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!