IGNORED

How to Preserve Clubs

Note: This thread is 5113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i just found a set of MP-58s for a decent deal, and i figured i can use my current clubs which are only a year old until they wear out, and keep the 58s in the basement until i need them. my question is, what can i do to preserve them so there is no rust and so the grips stay fresh? the grips are new decade MCs, so i would like to not have to replace them.

i was thinking of taking saranwrap and wrapping the clubheads and the grips tightly with several layers of wrap, and then taping them so they are air tight.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a clubmaker but I think the saran wrap would be bad for the clubs, you would trap moisture and dirt in close to the clubs. I think the best thing to do would be to clean them after every round and trip to the range. For grips the best thing to do would be to wash them off with warm water after every time you use them.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

i just found a set of MP-58s for a decent deal, and i figured i can use my current clubs which are only a year old until they wear out, and keep the 58s in the basement until i need them. my question is, what can i do to preserve them so there is no rust and so the grips stay fresh? the grips are new decade MCs, so i would like to not have to replace them.

You are kidding, right? Your existing clubs won't "wear out". If they do, you have a problem that most golfers would love to have.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Whoops, I completely mis-read your question. To answer the real one: Can you keep the new ones in their original packaging? That would likely be the best the best solution. You want to keep them in a dry place to keep out the moisture. I'm not sure whether saran wrap would do any good. If there is any trapped moisture it would keep it in, which would be bad.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You are kidding, right? Your existing clubs won't "wear out". If they do, you have a problem that most golfers would love to have.

grooves wear out bro.

Colin P.

Whoops, I completely mis-read your question. To answer the real one: Can you keep the new ones in their original packaging? That would likely be the best the best solution. You want to keep them in a dry place to keep out the moisture. I'm not sure whether saran wrap would do any good. If there is any trapped moisture it would keep it in, which would be bad.

i would have, but the guy took them off to adjust the lie angle. the original plastic wasnt that tight fitting anyways. i guess theres not too much that can be done for the clubhead...but what about the grips? i was thinking that the saran wrap would keep them from drying out and cracking.

Colin P.

Honestly, if you have new irons already, spend the money on some other club you need, or a golf gps, or a new toy of some kind.

If you seriously want to do this though, then get gunbarrel oil, and put a thin coat on each head, face and back, then wrap them in a light terry cloth. You'll have to repeat this every 8-10 months.

Truly though, save your money, get something else you want instead.

The grips though, theres no saving them. Wrap them in whatever you want, they will dry out in the 10 years itll take for your new clubs to 'wear out'....

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

This is a crazy thread. I have 50 year old irons that are like new. Do you live in a lighthouse or something - how much friggin' salty moisture is in your basement?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This is a crazy thread. I have 50 year old irons that are like new. Do you live in a lighthouse or something - how much friggin' salty moisture is in your basement?

Agreed. The whole premise doesnt make sense.

Even if we say, after 10 years, the clubs are done (they wont be), why would you want another set of 10 year old clubs, with all the new tech that will be around? I replace clubs fairly quickly, but I dont pretend they are worn out. I just like new tech and shiny stuff. LOL.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

im thinking maybe 3 or 4 years. as you have pointed out, it doesnt seem like the clubheads will rust if at all.

i guess im just trying to see what i can do to keep the grips nice while they sit in storage.

Colin P.

im thinking maybe 3 or 4 years. as you have pointed out, it doesnt seem like the clubheads will rust if at all.

I don't fault you for that, you see a good deal, you take advantage. Good for you, and don't let these guys talk you out of it. They are great clubs. Just keep them inside and not in the basement and the grips should be fine. I can't think really of anything that would get to them.

In my bag:

Do you just want to switch in 3-4 years, or do you think your clubs will be worn out in that time? Because its not even close, if you take care of clubs, they have a long, long lifespan.

If you just want to switch to this set, then why not do it now? I guess I just dont understand what your getting at. If your waiting for yours to be worn out, its a ridiculous purchase. Even if you dont, it makes little sense, because in three or four years, your swing will have changed so much that the clubs may no longer even be right for you. when you get new, a few years int he future, you would hope to have improved your game in that time, and should get fitted for what really works for you.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

grooves wear out bro.

Like I said, if you're wearing clubs out, you have a very nice problem. I doubt whether the average player would wear out a set of irons inside 20 years. if he played twice a week.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Like I said, if you're wearing clubs out, you have a very nice problem. I doubt whether the average player would wear out a set of irons inside 20 years. if he played twice a week.

I think it depends a bit on the irons, the player, and they course they play. One Sandtrap poster for example, posted pictures of his relatively new Mizuno MX-2?? irons last summer. Based on how long he had them, and their condition, they'd probably have a short lifespan. His course has a lot of trash bunkers and pebbles though - perhaps forged Mizunos weren't the best choice. The same could probably said for the OP's iron choices.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

these irons are a step up from my current MP52s. in a couple of years i expect to be a little better so that these clubs will suit me perfectly then. these clubs are not for the level of player that i am quite at right now.

so Jamo, you think that upstairs in a closet and not in the basement would be better?

Colin P.

these irons are a step up from my current MP52s. in a couple of years i expect to be a little better so that these clubs will suit me perfectly then. these clubs are not for the level of player that i am quite at right now.

That should work. In a couple years you'll be coming out of the closet with some great irons - good luck!!

I'm curious about what clubs you are using now.

Otherwise, I suggest you use the MPs once in a while, read up on grip care http://www.lamkingrips.com/Grip_Care.php , and don't expose the clubs to extreme temps.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

Saran wrap the entire club...put it half the year in the basement in the darkest dampest spot, then in the summer, be sure to put them in the dryest, hottest part of the attic/shed. works everytime. oh, you mean...preserve...hmm...dry place, regular temps should do just fine, headcovers (if you had any) leave off, the grips just do once every 6 months or so with some aloe shaving cream...put on and then towel off. sounds quirky but it does work. good luck

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Note: This thread is 5113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!