IGNORED

64* wedge?

Note: This thread is 5111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got a 60* and I can't imagine how I would need a 64.

why does Phil carry one? it's a waste of space in the bag.

I've even heard of 72* wedges...

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

a 62 deg wedge would be super SUPER hard to hit. 60 deg is MORE than enough loft .

As for Phil, he is in a world on his own when it comes to wedges and is one of many few pros that hit a wedge beyond 60 deg.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

BS. It is no harder to hit than a 60 or 56 if you have good impact conditions (IE hands ahead of the ball). Why do I carry one and always will? I am deadly from 45 to 67 yards with it. I'd put myself up against much better players than I from that yardage. Before it I had a hard time. Now I expect 5 feet. Around the green I don't use it that much except for the really touchy shots. I know I have gotten up and in more times with that than any club in my bag and feel more confident from 60 yards than any other yardage.

Brian

BS. It is no harder to hit than a 60 or 56 if you have good impact conditions (IE hands ahead of the ball). Why do I carry one and always will? I am deadly from 45 to 67 yards with it. I'd put myself up against much better players than I from that yardage. Before it I had a hard time. Now I expect 5 feet. Around the green I don't use it that much except for the really touchy shots. I know I have gotten up and in more times with that than any club in my bag and feel more confident from 60 yards than any other yardage.

I've tried a 64* and all that happens is the ball goes really high with no control.

I can get control with a 60* but it's too easy to mess up with a 64*. I guess if I practiced enough with it, I could make it work. Maybe.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Hmmm. You, a 14 handicap apparently, are questioning why Phil Mickleson, one of the acknowledged short game greats of any era, wants a 64° in his bag? Up to him wouldn't you say and since he makes a living from the game I'm sure he thinks it's worthwhile.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BS. It is no harder to hit than a 60 or 56 if you have good impact conditions (IE hands ahead of the ball).

This comment makes no sense! Of course its harder to hit a wedge when the loft gets that high. The contact area decreases (with the margin for error) as the loft increases. Why not go and buy a 90 degree wedge then? I bet you'll be fantastic with that so long you keep your hands ahead of the ball...

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

This comment makes no sense! Of course its harder to hit a wedge when the loft gets that high. The contact area decreases (with the margin for error) as the loft increases. Why not go and buy a 90 degree wedge then? I bet you'll be fantastic with that so long you keep your hands ahead of the ball...

Really?? If you have trouble hitting high loft wedges (more than an iron) you either A) swing too hard B) totally suck C) swing too hard and totally suck. Easiest club in the bag for me if I don't swing it like a retard. Stay down, stay smooth, go flag hunting from 50 -70 yards.

Brian

Really?? If you have trouble hitting high loft wedges (more than an iron) you either A) swing too hard B) totally suck C) swing too hard and totally suck. Easiest club in the bag for me if I don't swing it like a retard. Stay down, stay smooth, go flag hunting from 50 -70 yards.

I think you forgot to insult a couple special interest groups there - how do you feel about women?

I've used a 64 degree wedge and I don't mind it, but I prefer a 60.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i think i am putting in a 62 or 64*, i currently have a 60 with very low bounce that i hit really well and love it for flop shots. putting another wedge in is something i have wanted to do for a while now, i love hitting high flops and distance wedge pitch shots. i think i can get deadly with another wedge.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

This is why Phil can carry a 64* wedge and we dont:

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I'm just your average hack....and I can say with absolute certainty that 58 degrees is my limit of usefullness. I put a 64 in the bag for a few months but just could not justify keeping it in there....very limited use with my dimunitive skillset with this club.

Phil Mickelson.....oh yeah...love what he does with it. I fully understand that the only simularites between his game and mine is that we both sometimes wear the old school visors and play the same type grips. He's one of the worlds top players...again, I'm just an average hack.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I play a 60 degree wedge and love it. partial shots under 80 yards would be easier to hit consistent. Phil can play amazing shots from everywhere, so when its appropriate I would consider carrying a 64 degree wedge myself, no harder to hit than a 60 degree wedge.

flop shots should be easier to hit without having to open your club face.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!