IGNORED

Official 2010 Masters Thread

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On another note: YES TO CIL

yes, same goes for me

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Conditions should be ripe for low scores tomorrow, as they have been all week. Any of the players sitting at -5 or -6 can post a round in the mid-60s and give the final pairing a lot to think about.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
What is CIL? http://thesandtrap.com/chat/

That, basically.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What an amazing day. There were so many highlights. Phil got super hot for three holes, Tiger fought through a so so round and still put up a number, Freddie is still a factor, and Lee Westwood was solid as a rock. But one new thing stood out for me. K.J. Choi was essentially a rock steady force, acting as if he could play exactly the same way shot after shot -- super steady. He sort of goes against the historical wisdom that those that can hit the long right to left shot have an advantage at Augusta. Jack proved that incorrect, and the game has changed with the new balls and equipment. Those high fades can be an advantage if the greens get really firm. Choi just might surprise us all if he remains so unflappable. He and Westwood seem the least up and down of the potential winners. I don't think anyone can predict Sunday's winner at this stage.

It was fun to see quicker greens today, and I am guessing tomorrow may be even a little firmer and faster -- that would be even more exciting.

RC

I think we'll be seeing Phil wear his third green jacket tomorrow. I've read elsewere that people think what Tiger said constituted as a curse word and criticized his "vulgar" speach. Yeah, "suck" and "goddammit", those are just so terrible. I can think of some words he could have used that are indeed vulgar, but those aren't. Are golf fans this prude? Wow.

I think we'll be seeing Phil wear his third green jacket tomorrow. I've read elsewere that people think what Tiger said constituted as a curse word and criticized his "vulgar" speach. Yeah, "suck" and "goddammit", those are just so terrible. I can think of some words he could have used that are indeed vulgar, but those aren't. Are golf fans this prude? Wow.

I agree, Ol' Lefty has a very good chance at his 3rd green jacket, and I'll be pulling for him

and uh Tiger didn't say "suck" he dropped an F bomb on the 6th tee shot followed by GD, and it is a terrible thing when women and children are watching and listening on TV, I've lost any respect I had left for Tiger after watching that and said to myself he really has no class, sure he's got talent, but needs to mix that with some serious etiquette!

What an amazing day. There were so many highlights. Phil got super hot for three holes, Tiger fought through a so so round and still put up a number, Freddie is still a factor, and Lee Westwood was solid as a rock. But one new thing stood out for me. K.J. Choi was essentially a rock steady force, acting as if he could play exactly the same way shot after shot -- super steady. He sort of goes against the historical wisdom that those that can hit the long right to left shot have an advantage at Augusta. Jack proved that incorrect, and the game has changed with the new balls and equipment. Those high fades can be an advantage if the greens get really firm. Choi just might surprise us all if he remains so unflappable. He and Westwood seem the least up and down of the potential winners. I don't think anyone can predict Sunday's winner at this stage.

Seriously. I miss one day of watching The Masters this year, and this was the day?! Just my luck. Well, maybe tomorrow will provide just as much excitement. Its possible!

About Choi, yeah, the guy has a pretty good record at Augusta. I remember seeing his name around the top of the leaderboard and seen some great shots from him too. I think he's got a good chance! I wouldn't mind seeing any of the top 5 guys winning. The race for the second wave is pretty exciting too. AK, Immelman, and Marino in the mix!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

and uh Tiger didn't say "suck" he dropped an F bomb on the 6th tee shot followed by GD, and it is a terrible thing when women and children are watching and listening on TV, I've lost any respect I had left for Tiger after watching that and said to myself he really has no class, sure he's got talent, but needs to mix that with some serious etiquette!

He's said worse before, and so has just about everyone else on the tour. Didn't Don January swear after a tee shot on the first day they ever put microphones on the tees? They say you don't really learn to swear until you learn to drive, and that's partially true, but iron striking causes it too. Not swearing around women? What is this, the Victorian era? I agree one should refrain around children, but if you took your kids to watch Tiger, and didn't know he swears on a bad shot, that's on you, not him.

A year and a half ago, I went to see Watchmen , and there was a guy in the theater who took his kid (like, elementary school age kid) to see it. We found out there was a kid in the theater when a friend of mine dropped an f-bomb while we were talking ( before the movie). The guy was then upset that my friend swore two rows away from a young kid... before an R-rated movie.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I agree, Ol' Lefty has a very good chance at his 3rd green jacket, and I'll be pulling for him

I was watching and I don't think he droped an F-bomb, but I'd have to watch a replay to be sure.

Here are some quotes from golf writers: Charlie Hanger, executive editor, Sports Illustrated: I thought Notah Begay on Golf Channel was funny when asked about the outburst. He gave Tiger credit for subbing one fairly benign four-letter word for another, much dirtier word. A step in the right direction! Give the man some credit. Gary Van Sickle, senior writer, Sports Illustrated: As long as Tiger isn't dropping f-bombs or flinging clubs, he's headed in the right direction. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him build Rome in a day, you know? Give Tiger some time. Swearing is pretty far down his list of immediate concerns.

Ben, you missed an epic day that is for sure. Even the announcers were calling it a Sunday-like atmosphere. And the golf was exquisite. Get a DVR -- it is worth it. I go play golf while recording the tournament, and guys are watching stroke by stroke results on thier iPhones between shots... They know not to tell me anything. I think a lot of guys on this forum record the rounds.

Knowing B. Harmon and seeing Phil hit that stretch of three holes was pretty special -- Phil actually looked tight and super controlled, doing the changes he has tried to incorporate. You would need a mirror to see him right handed but he was in great positions for him. He has always had a longer swing but he actually looked comfortable swinging within himself. He did hook a couple of irons, and he had a few Phil moments of crazy shots. I'm not a super fan of Phil but he is playing very well. I appreciate his foundation that supports science teacher training (he and ExxonMobil.)

I did not mention the amazing drive on 8 by Westwood. Hole 8 goes gentle down then turns more steeply uphill around the sand traps. You get pretty much what you carry there -- not much roll up the hill. Tiger crushed one around 328 to 330 yards or so, just off to the side of the furtherest bunker. Westwook hit it 349 yards, past the traps easily and up into the hill. It was an other-worldly drive. I had no idea he was so long. He does not look like he is crushing it but he does.

As for Tiger yesterday, I sure thought I heard the bomb word and some other comments I would not wish for my kids to hear both yesterday and today. Guess I am too old school and a prude about such things. I do know there has been foul language on tour for as long as I can remember, but I also know not everyone appreciates that stuff.

RC

Bah. If we're talking about the same hole (the one that was right before they talked with Faldo in the "den" for a couple minutes), he clearly said "Tiger Woods you suck... god dammit." I heard a few little outbursts and that was the worst of them. It's sad that so many people are hung up on that of all things...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

RC, Yeah, a DVR would do me good. I did discover the greatness that is masters.com though. I got to watch Phil's run today. That PW he hit on 14, I could just see that he hit that exactly how he wanted to. Like you said, totally control for sure. And you know he certainly thinks he can hole a wedge from 87y like the one he had on 15 to go eagle, eagle, eagle.

I'm not 349y long, but I think I hit the ball a long way for the amount of effort it looks like I put into my swing. I'll go watch that driver of his. I know the feeling
of the smooth bomb driver. Its a great feeling. Bah, just checked the website. They didn't show the drive.

Tiger's mouth? hmm. I understand frustration like that and the need to release. I personally don't think its terribly bad in this day and age. I hear the same language on cable. "suck" doesn't equal profanity in my book. I actually think its funny to see him talk to himself like that. Him, or any golfer. When I get upset at myself I try to keep it PG rated because its funnier than R rated. Makes me laugh at myself. I didn't however, here any "f" wordness, anyway...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

The bomb I head was before those comments on 6. I'm not hung up on anything here, but I won't be an apologist for foul language in an open public event like the Masters. That is just my personal thoughts on the matter, others are welcome to theirs.

RC

Bah. If we're talking about the same hole (the one that was right before they talked with Faldo in the "den" for a couple minutes), he clearly said "Tiger Woods you suck... god dammit." I heard a few little outbursts and that was the worst of them. It's sad that so many people are hung up on that of all things...

Yea I just watched the replay, sure did sound like the F word to me when it was live, he did in fact say "suck" , none the less, this doesn't make him look very professional or anyone else that has these little outbursts, I don't do it when I play, and I hit tons of bad shots, I also don't see Phil or Els doing this

This is about as clear as it gets. I found it pretty funny.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I was watching and I don't think he droped an F-bomb, but I'd have to watch a replay to be sure.

I did go back and watch it on the DVR. He said suck, as in (saying to himself) "Tiger Woods, you suck! You suck! Goddammit!" If Mr. Holier-than-thou doesnt believe me, he can watch the replay here:

http://deadspin.com/5514224/tiger-su...suck-goddamnit People hear what they want to hear and are going to find reasons to chastise him if they don't like him. I wish they'd get over it and enjoy a little personality (as long as it doesn't involve angrily throwing clubs that bounce into the gallery... err, I mean, at the patrons. Yes, he said a few choice words a few times, but it's toned down a considerable amount since we last saw him, at least at this point. As a side note/question, I'm curious what you all think. Regardless of what happens tomorrow, do you all think that this tournament can be chalked up as a success for Tiger? While I realize he always shows up to win, coming out and playing like he has, after not playing competitively for almost four months, is pretty amazing if you ask me. There were a large number of people predicting that he'd miss the cut or finish outside the top 10. So what do you think?

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Yea I just watched the replay, sure did sound like the F word to me when it was live, he did in fact say "suck" , none the less, this doesn't make him look very professional or anyone else that has these little outbursts, I don't do it when I play, and I hit tons of bad shots, I also don't see Phil or Els doing this

Well, now you have.

Get over it. They all have their times. Tiger is just on TV more than most, so every little thing he does is seen by everyone.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

You guys talking about hole six are missing the incident entirely and not talking about the same explicitive he uttered earlier in the round. We all heard the comments on hole six... they were not at the level of the earlier comments, which were more offensive to many. He has had a perchance to utter profanity since he started on tour, but I thought I heard him say he would tone it down... but then again I could be dreaming that. Still, all the replays of hole six have nothing to do with what I (and others apparently) heard earlier. Respecting traditions is an optional thing for many. I don't think previous Masters chairmen would have been too happy about his comments coming out over the airwaves at Augusta National, at least not the ones I have met (two.) People do not have to respect others' sensitivities. That is an optional thing today. However, in a mixed crowd of people of all levels of sensitivity, I for one, wish he would tone it down. Everyone else is free to think what they want about it.

RC

Note: This thread is 5119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!