IGNORED

How do you putt?

rynjwssl
Note: This thread is 5104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a 9 finger grip with my thumbs pointing dow, pinky overlapped by my left pointer finger. But i was wondering how tight you hold the putter. I have been holding it at about id say 5 out of 10 tightness, but i tried putting with like a 2 out of 10 and used more shoulders and i was hitting more putts on line, but it was more difficult for me to hit the proper distance because i took it back slower because it was awkward for me. Just wondering about different techniques that i might try to improve my putting.

My bag:
Driver: 909D2
3-Wood: 909F2
Iron: AP2 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey 52, 56, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 35"

Normal grip with a reverse overlap index finger over pinky.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Grip is personal but the stroke needs to be as simple as possible.
I read Dave Pelz's Putting Bible for a great explanation of the pendulum stroke.
It works well for a great many golfers

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

I use the grip that Stan Utley describes in The Art of Putting . I like the way it feels, and when my grip feels odd, I go and re-check in the book, and it usually means I migrated. I especially like the way the grip seems to have the effect of prohibiting the club from going straight back and straight through.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a pretty standard overlap grip, has worked well for me most of my life. I've fooled around with stuff on the practice green, but usually just for fun.

I have a natural putting stroke, so I guess I take it back a little to the inside and then return to square and release the putter. I've never like Dave Pelz's putting style, just doesn't feel natural to me.

As for tightness I would say 2 out of 10, if you grip the putter too hard, so many things can go wrong and it allows me to feel the ball so much better

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Modified reverse overlap, tilted pendulum (shaft leans slightly forward.) I use a fat grip with a wide top side on the handle, and try to get my hands very closes to palm to palm, with the two thumbs side by side and only half a knuckle difference in length. The right thumb is just slightly lower. The thumbs can fit together nicely this way and it is almost neither a left hand high or left hand low style. The two index fingers actually lightly touch tip to tip, so the right index finger is pointing down the putt line. The putter rises on a shoulder arc while the face opens slightly, then just falls with gravity and a little shoulder motion so it is a classic type release (in otherwords, the putter opens and closes but stays square to the swing line arc. My key is to make as little effort as possible at the turning point of backswing to forward swing... let the putter start falling and do not pull or push it forward. When the turning point gets a little forced is when I don't putt as well. The faster the greens, the better this style works, but it is easy to start a ball on line and control distance.

RC

I use an interlocking grip (same as with every club), open stance, my feet are about 5 inches apart, and ball position is in the middle. I have a 35 inch putter and choke down a bit on it since I am not that tall. I try to focus on putter grip (hold it like a bird) and being aggressive on short and uphill putts.

"I'm not going left or right of those trees, okay. I'm going over those trees...with a little draw." ~ Tin Cup

I also use an interlocking grip. Tried the whole switching hands thing out a while back but couldn't get the hang of it. My feet are together, and my head is directly over the ball.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

I use a double pointed overlap. I know, it's really weird, but works. They only way to describe it is.....Right hand, thumb goes right down the middle toward the putter face and the pointer finger down to the front toward the face. Then the right hand does the same but on the right side and I over lap the left pointing finger with my right pinky finger and my right pointing finger pointed down. I don't now how else to describe it.
Then swing with only my shoulders. I kind of take it to the inside on the back swing but follow through strait. My putter is in the center with the ball one ball length in front if center. My putter is very consistent for me!
I'm 6' but use a 33" length with 3 degree upright.

I use an interlocked grip but i point my right index finger down the back of the shaft. I think grip is completely a personal preference and it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it works.

Grip pressure though I think is something more universal. I would say my pressure is a 2-3 if 10 is as hard as I can grip something. But I really believe a gentle grip makes a big difference is putting stroke consistency.

As far as technique goes, I received some criticism from an assistant pro over the winter that my backstroke was too long on short putts. So now, anything inside 10' I really focus on not letting the club go back beyond my right (back) foot, with my feet a little less than shoulder width apart. It definitely has paid off so far.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

I overlap with both thumbs on top of the grip and the right index finger pointing down the right side of the shaft. I also choke way down on my putter to get better control.

I use a left hand low with my hands close similar to a praying grip. I make sure that grip is down my life line and not the finger to help keep my stroke one piece. When I am putting well my wrist do not break down with my arms and shoulders so the stroke is one piece.

Keys is practice and more practice, when you do this you find something that works and you incorporate it into your putting stroke to become a better putter. My keys thoughts are distance control and all putts are straight putts.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

my normal overlap grip, but i extend my right index finger down the grip. I take an athletic stance, normal to my short iron stance. My feet are just outside shoulder width and the ball is placed about a ball away from the inside of my left foot. I then forward press the putter to just off my left foot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i have an interlocking grip with both thumbs pointed straight down the shaft of the club. i had the same issue with rolling the right distance, but i have corrected that by once i bring the club back i let the head delay slightly so that on impact my hands are slightly ahead of the head. i also try to think about getting the club head visually in line with the hole, for me that has made sure that i do not drop the ball short and i give every putt a chance of going in.

Yea thats where i think my main problem is, i take it back slow and too long, i dont decelerate its just my whole tempo is slow. Especially shorter putts i shouldnt take it back as far. Thanks a lot :)

My bag:
Driver: 909D2
3-Wood: 909F2
Iron: AP2 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey 52, 56, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 35"

Note: This thread is 5104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!