IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Just wanted to stop by and say nice swing... :) I am struggling with the same thing, taking that club inside... though mine is much worse. You already know all the drills with alignment sticks, and what not, I'm sure, but thought I'd just mention that's one of my favorite drills now, and lately I've just been sticking it in the ground and leaving it as I work on other things at the range... it makes sure I don't yank it way inside like that. 

Best of luck, and can't wait to continue watching your progress. :) 

Andrew M.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just wanted to stop by and say nice swing... :) I am struggling with the same thing, taking that club inside... though mine is much worse.

Thanks!

I'm sure, but thought I'd just mention that's one of my favorite drills now, and lately I've just been sticking it in the ground and leaving it as I work on other things at the range... it makes sure I don't yank it way inside like that. 

That's a pretty good one if you do the movements correctly. I think a golfer has to be worried about just lifting the arms and not turning. Thanks for the advice. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hey Matt! 

I think you are doing a great job with your swing!  You are definitely ahead of me right now.  You seem to be able to keep your spine tilts a lot better through your backswing than I have been able to (regular and secondary). 

I'm still trying to get that right whilst also trying to figure out why my swing is so ridiculously in to out!  Have you been able to figure that part out how to fix your issues with that?  If so was there a drill you used or is the swing setup we are both trying to achieve just conducive to a major in to out swing path?

Edited by MattM

Played 9 holes tonight. Really tried to concentrate on maintaining my spine tilt in the backswing. It seemed to help, but very inconsistent. I ended up popping up 2 drives. One was like 200 yards in the air. It went about 144 yards forward and that was with 15 yards of roll. 

I did find when I tried to carry the club back with my turn more that it felt more laid off at the top. Which for me is probably good because I am consistently across the line at the top of the backswing. 

I hit 4 greens in regulation. Pitching was good. Even though I didn't sink a single one putt. I ended up putting better. I was much closer to the hole than before. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Yep I need a lesson. My dad was in town and we played over at Beavercreek. Just struggling to not cut the ball. 

I had a PW on soft fairway and I took a good club width size divot. That divot was pointing like 10 degrees inward of my target line. 

I did hit some better shots on the back 9 when I tried my best to turn in my tilt better. I still struggled to hit any sort of consistent strike. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just another thing to point out. Even if I do hit a cut, a good amount of the time I am also heeling my drives. The heel isn't causing the cut. I hit the big cut on centered hits as well. I just find it interesting that I have an outward to in path, yet I can catch the heel a lot. You'd think an out to in would bring the toe more into play. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I had a PW on soft fairway and I took a good club width size divot. That divot was pointing like 10 degrees inward of my target line. 

I did hit some better shots on the back 9 when I tried my best to turn in my tilt better. I still struggled to hit any sort of consistent strike. 

Your in the good direction to stop your outside in golf swing. When you'll take your club back less behind you, you won't feel the urge to come a bit OTT. This little move is also why you heel your drive, since you come out and over your desired swing path in the downswing.

I've had the same problem, as I  rotated my forearms inward very fast in the backswing, I fixed that by feeling like the back of my left hand was looking at the ground when the club reached waist high. (Sorry I don't know my A3-A4... positions) It was just a feel I tried not to over do it. 

Worked on trying to get my club less behind me. Also trying to get the swing shorter. I finally got some progress on the last fricken ball. :p 

Though on the downswing my foot slipped.. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Worked on trying to get my club less behind me. Also trying to get the swing shorter. I finally got some progress on the last fricken ball. :p 

Nice work, Matt! 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

it looks like you are really coming in steep.. I know the goal is to get a shorter backswing for now, but I'm assuming you don't want to be coming in that steep either.

image.thumb.png.14d0db2e6e7c1b883c361ebc

are you not worrying about your DS and what the club is doing until you get a shorter BS?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

it looks like you are really coming in steep.. I know the goal is to get a shorter backswing for now, but I'm assuming you don't want to be coming in that steep either.

are you not worrying about your DS and what the club is doing until you get a shorter BS?

Longer and improper backswing is causing me to go shallow to steep. If i fix the backswing it will make getting shallower in the downswing easier.

Also my back foot slipped in the downswing. ;)

Here is my swing path. It goes inside and up. Since the path wants to shove the club towards right field at the top the only option is get an over the top move because the clubhead wants to reroute out to in. 

Path.thumb.JPG.1ef754a75a057990b2beb3442

What I need to do is reverse the direction of those lines. Get the upward part being more on my hand path or above it so the club can more easily work down and outward. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I see the issue you're talking about with the back swing and then the steep down swing.  But all the same, swing looks good.  Really close.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

Really close.

It is… yes. Really close.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played pretty well tonight. For the most part I was hitting the ball solid. My driver found the lefts on one hole. I just slightly pull draw'd it. For the most part I was keeping in play with a solid strike. 

Tonight I focused on letting my turn carry the club into the backswing. Before each full shot I would do small turns to A1.5-A2 not doing much with the hands. Then I would make a turn taking the arms to the top of the swing. This was my preshot routine. When I took my shot I focused on just making that initial turn to A2, staying in my tilt. Overall the strike was much better. 

Pitching was awesome. Pitched in for par on hole #4. I was looking to make a run at it. It was a pretty simple standard pitch. Did a one hope dunk shot. Really cool :) 

I almost pitched in two more times later in the round as well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

I had my lesson with Erik on Saturday. There are a few things I am going to work on. The first priority that I will be working on over the winters is to fix the backswing. Getting the hands and clubpath more vertical. Get a more cupped right wrist at the top of the backswing. 

Here is my current swing.

Some work on getting the hands to track up more. 

Here is incorporating tracking the hands up more and getting the club in a better position at the top of the backswing.

Here is one of the last swings of the lesson.

Overall much better comparing that to the first video of my swing. Now I need to work on this to make it a natural feeling for me in the swing. 

We also worked on my pitching. I just needed to keep my head steadier in my pitching. I was shifting laterally too much. 

Note: The videos would not embed. I tried copying and pasting the links multiple times. I tried refreshing the page.

Edited by iacas
embedded videos
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some images of before and after. 

DTL A2 - Working on keeping the club outside, tracking more upward and less around.  Right arm is bent (softer), and arms are tracking more vertically. 
DTL_A2_Current.thumb.PNG.010728385bfe012DTL_A2_Practice.thumb.PNG.36b3f172b9fe4b

DTL A4 - From A2, trying to get the club flatter at the top. The previous position has less cup in the right wrist. Right upper arm is more infront and pointing at the ground and not behind me. 

DTL_A4_Current.thumb.PNG.0a0c720ccad67cbDTL_A4_Practice.thumb.PNG.c586bf374617f4

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Playing Update
Played 9 holes today. Kinda shot a "meh" round. I expected that. My goal today was to try to win some skins (i got 1). My primary goal was to hit every shot with a decent backswing from what I learned on Saturday. 

If I had to grade myself I would say,
A1-A2.5 = B+
A2.5-A4 = N/A
A4-A7 = C- 

I've been doing some mirror practice on the backswing. I find that it's getting really easy to replicate the movement I need to do from A1->A2.5. I couldn't tell if I was getting the crank right at the top. In most cases I wasn't even trying to feel that on the course since I didn't have a good feel for it yet. I kinda got lazy on a few A4-A7 movements. Especially on some distance wedge shots I hit heavy. The course was very soft from all the rain the last two days. Not a good combo. 

Overall I drove the ball well with the driver. I was hitting mostly slight pull to straight cuts. Like 5-10 yards of movement at the most. My full iron shots were solid. I hit a 7 iron and 6 iron to with in 15 FT twice. 

I find it good I can do A1-A2.5 really well. That combo of lifting the hands and adding more bend to the right arm early is really easy for me to do well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Video of practice,

Video of Full Swing. 60% swing speed. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag