IGNORED

What I've Learned From My First Real Round of 18

TheBlake
Note: This thread is 5125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, as you can probably tell, I'm a newbie to the site. I came across it earlier today, and was thrilled to see a bunch of people as enthusiastic about golf as I am.

I guess there's a reason that I decided to look for a place like this. Today, I played my first real round of golf. I'm 23. Sure, I played a few rounds when I was a little kid, and was just hacking away at the thing while my dad and his friends were playing for real, but I'm not counting that.

I started really getting into the game around two years ago. I bought my first set of clubs (nothing fancy, just a generic set for beginners with hybrids replacing some of the lower irons), and starting swinging away after that. I bought some instructional books and got some tips from friends who were better than me, and started hitting the driving range to work on my game. Last year, I started playing on a local par-3 course, and have been playing that quite a bit up until today. I was basically just trying to hone my skills before taking it to a full round of golf, because I wasn't sure how my game would stack up.

Long story short, I shot a 92 today, and have been giddy all evening. No, the course I was playing on wasn't Augusta National or anything like that (just a local public course), but I didn't care. For it to be my first actual full round, and to play semi-well, it's like I discovered a whole new game. Playing nine was one thing, but I never imagined the type of energy and confidence a person could gain from simply playing 18 holes of golf. There's just nothing like it.

I hit good shots and I hit bad shots, but it honestly didn't matter all that much. I was just excited to be out there playing. And I think maybe that's why I had some pretty good success in my first official round (I know 92 isn't considered a success to some, but for me, I was thrilled with it), because I wasn't thinking about every single little thing involving my shot or what could happen if I hit there or there. Again, I'm no great golfer by any means, but I think my game has benefited the most from staying away from information overload early on. I'll pick up a new skill here or there, but I don't try to put it all in at once.

And I guess if there's something else that I learned today, it was that you don't have to be a long hitter to be successful. I don't hit the ball far.....AT ALL. Distance is something that I'm still working on, and I know it is something that will improve as I get stronger and better in tune with my full swing. So I try to focus on accuracy now, and I can't explain how important that is to a novice player. You don't have to hammer the ball and try to get on the green in one every time. If you can chip and putt, you don't have to force the hand by trying to kill the ball off the tee.

And you don't have to be Phil Mickelson hitting out of difficult situations. I can't tell you how many times I use to try to make some amazing shot from behind trees and out of the sand when playing the par-3 course. Then I realized that if I could hit the ball semi-accurately, I didn't have to try to hit it through tree limbs. I simply punched out into the fairway today, and left myself a much easier next shot. My score benefited greatly from this approach.

I'm probably rambling now, but I can't help it. I'm officially addicted to this game, and just wanted to share this with fellow golf fans. Can't wait to talk golf with everyone!

Awesome - keep at it. Course management is the key to scoring once you have a reasonable expectation of where and how far you will hit it.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Awesome!! Thanks for posting that. I started out pretty much the same way when I was teen, lessons, driving range & par 3 course for a long time before I went out to the 'real' course. It sounds like you have a good approach, I hope you continue to enjoy the game and improve as you put in the work. 92 is GREAT for your first time out, IMHO.

For someone with not alot of experience it seems like your picking up on the intangibles that most golfers struggle with in the begging, so high five keep up the good work!
Boom Stick: 907 D2 w/accuflex The juice
3 wood: 909F2 w/Fujikura Motore F1 55
Hybrid: 909H 19* w/Fujikura Motore F1 80HB
Irons: 2010 AP2 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Spinmilled 54*, 60*Putter: 2002 Studio Design 1.5Balls: Pro V1Range Finder: Pro 1600Proud Member of Piranhas Golf Team Ecole de...

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the kind words. I definitely think that it's just about finding the best approach for yourself. I think that once I realized I wasn't going to be a long hitter right now, I sort of changed some of my decision making, and it has helped me a great deal. Can't wait to get back out and play another round this weekend!

Best of luck man, getting lessons in the beginning to put a great swing together before bad habits sneak in is key. Keep it up man, honestly, shooting a 92 first time out is a great score. Again, Best of luck!

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I don't know what others think... but I've been playing golf for about 18 years (with a few missed when my son was first born) and my BEST score is a 91. So... to START with a 92 on your first visit to a course is pretty damn good in MY book! I've been getting better over the course of the last 10 months... but you just started and you could probably beat me. Keep it up and good luck!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great to hear mate! I'm glad you're addicted to the game as much as us lot, obviously, otherwise you wouldn't be on the forums! Hope you improve on the course and your experience only gets better.

Ben

Awesome man, great story. I started really playing last year (when I was 23) and kind of did the same thing as you, and each time I get out I come back more addicted. And like others have said, 93 is an incredible first score, congrats on that.

Usually its that one putt, or one good hole that makes me come back. Though i was about to walk of the course on sunday, not a good day ;b, but i can't help it, this games addicting. Its great because you don't need to be as athletic as a football, basketball, or soccer player to play this game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 5125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!