IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that the really long drivers here all have relatively high hdcp's, and the "naysayers" all have very low hdcp's? I guess it could be that as one's handicap gets lower, they automatically lose distance. Or it could be that as one's handicap get lower, they actually know their true distance. Maybe that's because they can find their ball in the fairway.

At any rate, I would like to thank the really long drivers who visit my home course. I never have to buy golf balls. Just an easy stroll through the woods every week gives me all the Pro V1's I need.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that the really long drivers here all have relatively high hdcp's, and the "naysayers" all have very low hdcp's? I guess it could be that as one's handicap gets lower, they automatically lose distance. Or it could be that as one's handicap get lower, they actually know their true distance. Maybe that's because they can find their ball in the fairway.

It's that as well as the fact that most low handicappers understand that golf is about direction and distance control, not about maximum distance on every swing. Most mid-high handicappers that are "long hitters" swing out of their shoes on every shot and think that every swing they take with a driver is being measured for a long drive contest. Every golfer will eventually have that epiphony where they understand that distance is nice to have but doesn't have anything to do with your final score; it just takes some people longer to figure it out.

…just keeps getting tougher and tougher biting my tongue

Hahahaha I know exactly what you mean.

Seriously, a 30 handicap and you're hitting it 250-280 with push-fade? 2 words. My. Ass. There's no way you can be a 30 handicap and have the fundamentals to hit it that far with the driver. If you were a 15 handicap I MIGHT be able to see how that could happen. Last year I was hitting it around 280-290 on my biggest drives and they were all over the place. I've shortened it up to around 270 average and have been much more accurate. Trust me, hitting it 240 yards feels like 280 sometimes. But you have to take your medicine and face the facts that it's still 240 yards. Unless you have unequivocal proof that you hit it 280, I'm not believing it. Not for one second.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that the really long drivers here all have relatively high hdcp's, and the "naysayers" all have very low hdcp's?

Sorry, off topic, but what is the meaning of "naysayers"? Thanks!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

These threads are ridiculous.

Nice one. I don't have a wife and kids so I take candy from little children when I want to feel manly.

Oh and re: driver distance - I average 255 with a pull, 245 with a push-slice. Don't know how far I can hit it straight since that hasn't happened lately.

If, and a big if I hit it in the fairway(averaging about 30%) I probably average about 240. On swings where I do everything right I can get them out there 270, but those are rare. I have to rely on my short game to keep my HC in check.

Seriously, a 30 handicap and you're hitting it 250-280 with push-fade?

Too dam funny

The masses inability to understand "averages" is about as disturbing as this guy---

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

It's another way of saying "people that disagree".

Oh, thank you very much!

Regards!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Too dam funny

I hit one 247 yards 2 rounds ago. However it felt like 275 at minimum, so that makes my average drive between 270-280 right?

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

There is only 1 guy I know who can hit the ball really far, he hits 280m yard drives so thats nearly 310 yards, it's not an average though, I'd say he hits it 280 yards on average and he's the longest by far.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I'd put my average about 250.......a good, solid drive goes that far.....I can duff it 50 yards on rare occasions......also, downhill with a 2 club wind, I can pipe one 300+ on rare occasions.....a good drive is about 280, a weak drive is about 220.......a better guage would probably be to ask my playing parters for distances.....early in the season, accuracy is not as good, so right now it's probably only 230 due to more poor shots, but the fairways are a little barron and running, so I dunno???

I've seen it mentioned that a drive of 245 FEELS like a drive of 280... and I agree. I used to think I hit the ball real hard... and I could drive it 275. That was before my GPS. I know my MAXIMUM is about 270 when I absolutely smash one. I MAY get it to go a little longer during the summer months... but, overall - that's pretty much my max. I also now know that my AVERAGE is more like 230. GPS is a wonderful tool.

And... I'm a high handicap... so - not ALL high handicaps can drive it 280 - 300. Just the really strong (5'9" 145 lbs) ones with hairy chests and 14 inch penises.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

240-250'ish most days. If I'm really hitting it well 275'ish

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Just the really strong (5'9" 145 lbs) ones with hairy chests and 14 inch penises.

Wouldn't that get in the way while you're swinging? Or restrict lower body movements?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Wouldn't that get in the way while you're swinging? Or restrict lower body movements?

It might... I dunno. You'll have to ask the OP.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been working a lot on weight shift lately and I'm hitting the ball a lot farther. I'll hit it anywhere from 270 all the way up to a little over 300 (that is my absolute max, and I very, very rarely hit it that far), but 285 is probably my average.

Oh, and just an addendum to this because I can't edit it, that's when I hit it solid. Average was the wrong word to use. It's the average of my drives that I don't butcher so my legitimate average is right around 270.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!