IGNORED

Short Courses... the lost art

IcemanYVR
Note: This thread is 5116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In honour of this weeks PGA Tour tournament at Harbour Town, a course that stretches to 6973 yards, what are your favourite PGA Tour courses (past & present) that are shorter than 7000 yards.

Sometimes it's not always about length, but shotmaking as well.

Pebble Beach comes in around 68-6900 yards for the Pro-Am, but looks like they backed up the tees for the Open.

I've heard that Marion is a great course, but too short for todays pros :(

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

but it will also probaly be a par 71 my solution is to make distance control and shot shape important instead of making them go longer
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I played on a couple pete dye courses in south carolina and they are pretty short.

Driver: 909D3 9.5* UST Proforce V2 75X
3-Wood: 909F2 13.5* Aldila NV 85X
Irons: 3-PW 695MB/ZMB DGS300
Wedge: 54 degree Vokey Spin milled
Wedge: 60 degree SV TourPutter: Studio Select Newport 2 Mid slantBall: ProV1x/NXT Tour PentaTP/TP Red LDP

In honour of this weeks PGA Tour tournament at Harbour Town, a course that stretches to 6973 yards, what are your favourite PGA Tour courses (past & present) that are shorter than 7000 yards.

Actually Merion has more important issues than length. Accessibility (traffic congestion), gallery space and room for all of the corporate tents are major factors in it not being selected for majors now. The layout would still challenge today's players despite its length, especially if set up for a US Open.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually Merion has more important issues than length. Accessibility (traffic congestion), gallery space and room for all of the corporate tents are major factors in it not being selected for majors now. The layout would still challenge today's players despite its length, especially if set up for a US Open.

We'll find out how Merion stands up to modern players in three years, when the US Open is played there once again. The stretch from the 7th to 13th holes (which Herbert Warren Wind dubbed the comic scene in Merion's play of three acts) contains no holes over 400 yards, and there are no par 5s past the 4th hole. It's very different from more contemporary major venues, and it will be interesting to find out what the pros score there, and what kind of player comes out on top.

In fact, three of the next four US Opens will be held on courses that will measure under 7,000 yards: Pebble Beach this year, the Olympic Club in 2012, and Merion in 2013. If those three courses prove to be up to the test of pushing pros to the brink, maybe we'll see a trend away from 7,500-plus layouts we've been told is the only way to prevent modern players from obliterating scoring records.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

In fact, three of the next four US Opens will be held on courses that will measure under 7,000 yards: Pebble Beach this year, the Olympic Club in 2012, and Merion in 2013. If those three courses prove to be up to the test of pushing pros to the brink, maybe we'll see a trend away from 7,500-plus layouts we've been told is the only way to prevent modern players from obliterating scoring records.

Love the Olympic Club in San Francisco... it has always provided us with memorable Opens, and some fond memories of Payne Stewart

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

My thoughts line up with the above posters re: Pebble, Merion, Olympic.

It will never host an Open due its remote locale, but Pacific Dunes measures just 6,633 yards from the tips -- with four par-3s on the back nine! Haven't had the good fortune to play it but I know it's no pushover.

And don't forget Cypress Point, around 6,500 yards if memory serves.

Length is overrated. So is rough.

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Note: This thread is 5116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!