IGNORED

Let's Talk Balls

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd like a bit of input from others on what ball to try! I've been playing Bridgestone B-330s, Taylormade TP Red, and a mix of Titleist balls (Pro V1, V1x, NXT Tour). Although I love the feel and ball flight of the Pro V1x, I really cannot stand (or afford) how often the cover gets cut from well-struck short iron and wedge shots. Currently, I'm cutting the cover of the ball within 4-5 holes of playing, and I can't help but think that it will effect ball flight and roll on the greens.

Seems like this problem is more common with the Pro V than the B330s and others.

About my swing/game: I have fairly decent club head speed and tend to hit a high draw. A well-stuck 6 iron will carry ~ 185 yards with a 22 degree launch angle and 10k+ RPMs in spin (club head speed ~ 95 mph).

Holding greens isn't an issue, and I'd like a ball that can fly a bit lower and resist scuffing without losing touch for short shots. I've been playing with the NXT tour, which I don't mind around the greens, although according to Titleist, this is the wrong ball for me (swing speed = pro v1). I've been told that the Pro V1 has a softer and thinner cover to generate spin for players who can't always compress the ball... the V1x less so. Even still, I can't afford to keep cutting these suckers.

Anyone else in my boat? What are you playing?

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Check out the penta obviously and maybe try out some cheaper balls. If spin isn't an issue it might not hurt to look at some 2 piece balls. Probably get some added distance and it won't get beat up quickly plus cut down on your spin.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Thanks for the reply! I'll try the penta this week. The NXT tour seems to be a good blend for me of spin, durability and feel... at least until the green get very dry and firm. Any issues playing this ball? I'm concerned that I may be hitting it too high as it's designed for slower swing speeds?

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

To be honest I never look at what player type the ball is geared toward. I think if you find a ball that suits you than that's the ball you should play. An example a 3 handicap at my club tees it up with a d2 distance every round. He's not the longest player so he likes the added distance and he has no problem stopping it on the greens. The penta is pretty durable but I wouldn't say it's that much better than a pro v.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I also play the B330S and cut the ball fairly regularly. At the begining of the year when Im rusty and it's still windy here in KY, I'll play the E7+. They seem to get a little lower trajectory and I have only cut them on a full SW swing. (which I don't take very often anyways) It took me a few years to find a ball combination that really worked for me, so good luck and be patient!

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

Groovezilla - thanks for the help! I am glad I'm not alone... it's frustrating paying $15 a sleeve only to retire a ball halfway through the round. Which balls have you liked in addition to the B330s?

I've had good luck lately with the Taylormade TP black. I seem to be a pretty similar player. single digit handicap, play a high draw. 5-iron swing speed is about 90-95. I don't hit my 6-iron 185, mine only goes about 175. Anyway, the TP blacks seem to be a very good fit for my swing, whereas I really don't like the ProV1 or ProV1x very much. My top 5 favorite golf balls purely in terms of performance are:

1. TM TP Black w/ LDP
2. Bridgestone B-330 RX
3. Burner TP w/ LDP
4. Bridgestone E7+
5. Callaway HX Tour

The ProV1x isn't too far behind that list. I'm not too high on the regular ProV1 though.

All that being said, I don't think the TM TP blacks necessarily last any longer than a ProV1 or ProV1x.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

Groovezilla - thanks for the help! I am glad I'm not alone... it's frustrating paying $15 a sleeve only to retire a ball halfway through the round. Which balls have you liked in addition to the B330s?

I also like the NXTs and Cally HX for a good middle of the road ball. For a cheap ball I can regularly find on sale, the Srixon 333's are good. I've heard a lot of good about Top Flite Gamers, but I've yet to try them.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

I've had good luck lately with the Taylormade TP black. I seem to be a pretty similar player. single digit handicap, play a high draw. 5-iron swing speed is about 90-95. I don't hit my 6-iron 185, mine only goes about 175. Anyway, the TP blacks seem to be a very good fit for my swing, whereas I really don't like the ProV1 or ProV1x very much. My top 5 favorite golf balls purely in terms of performance are:

Great input. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll experiment with a few this week.

Check out the penta obviously and maybe try out some cheaper balls. If spin isn't an issue it might not hurt to look at some 2 piece balls. Probably get some added distance and it won't get beat up quickly plus cut down on your spin.

The penta is all hyped up. It's not really that great of a ball. It never does what I want it to do. Example: spin on a much needed chip shot, or with irons. And trust me, it's not my swing...

I play the Nike Mojo. Great ball for distance and spin on irons and wedges and at a low price. Either that or the Srixon Z-URC.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

The penta is all hyped up. It's not really that great of a ball. It never does what I want it to do. Example: spin on a much needed chip shot, or with irons. And trust me, it's not my swing...

Ha, yeah, the $19.95 distance ball is better. Errrr, not.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just played with the new MacGregor VIP ball (their tour ball) Amazing ball in my opinion. Very happy with it. Good distance and great control around the greens.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

It's good to see that there is a growing number of options out there for high performance balls. A majority of my golf equipment/tech knowledge is sans 2006, I haven't been playing or paying the industry much attention I recently picked the sport up again.

I've heard a few people talking about a newer ball from Srixon. I'll throw it and the macgregor into the mix in the next few rounds this week.

I hit it a long way like you (6i ~ 195-200), but I'm not as good of a golfer and lose a lot of balls...so I'm always on the lookout for a ball that performs well for the limited amount of money I have to spend. In other words, I feel your pain.

My advice is to buy "used" golf balls from any of a number of Internet vendors that are in "mint" or "5-star" condition. They are basically new balls (some with logos, weird numbers, etc.) at a used price. There are some good recommendations on other threads in this forum (I don't remember all the names, but my preferred seller is "Golf Ball Nut," which sells on ebay and through its own site).

For the price, I've had the best success with the Bridgestone e6+ and TM Burner LDPs. I've heard and read a lot about two-piece balls (like the e6+ and LDP) not having the stopping ability of more premium balls, but at your swing speed I assume you hit your irons high enough that it wouldn't be a big disadvantage (e.g., I hit a 7i on a par 3 today that hopped maybe six inches forward, and you can spin back anything with a higher loft). I just bought 72, "mint," used TM Burner LDPs for $54, and I haven't cut one yet. If you lose a lot of balls and/or can't afford to buy balls all the time, $1 or less per golf ball is a pretty good start.

In my Grom:

Launcher 9.0 and 3W. Fujikura Hit-on-M Red X-Stiff
'09 Burners 3-AW. KBS +1" Stiff. 1x hard-stepped
A7 2H. UST ProForce Axiv Stiff 56.08 SW Stainless. G5i Putter. TP Burner LDP or Bridgestone e6+.

couldnt disagree more w you on the Penta

this ball is amazing its long, doesnt spin off the driver a tonn and checks up great around the green's....and $6 cheaper/box then a Pro V im still testing balls as we speak though right now I have in the bag: PENTA Pro V1 B330-RX S's -just put em in, so i cant comment on them just yet, but have played the regular RX's and loved them as of now, im leaning towards the PENTA's but i hear the OP on cutting balls i went though 5 balls on the last 36 holes and didnt lose one....just shredded em to death
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

as of now, im leaning towards the PENTA's

Can you comment on the cover of the B330RX or Penta? Perhaps go rip a few PW shots from the fairway? As a poor graduate student, I can't be throwing $4 a piece balls in my shag bag this often.

After a bit of reading, I think I am willing to give up a bit of short iron and green-side spin if I can bring down my trajectory slightly and reduce ball wear. The B330s and B330 seem to be a good ball to try, and I'll try a few mid-level balls like the e7 and NXT tour.

Depending on whether or not you put functionality before price the ProV series is probably your ball of choice but if you want the functionality of a ProV for the cost of a cheap distance ball you might want to try the MG Tour C4.

http://www.mggolf.com/misc.asp?ru=0&...hopping=&f;=#C4

Give them a shot and I think you'll be happy.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Depending on whether or not you put functionality before price the ProV series is probably your ball of choice but if you want the functionality of a ProV for the cost of a cheap distance ball you might want to try the MG Tour C4.

Have you played those? Because this scares me: "Because the 3-piece Tour C4’s urethane cover is among the thinnest in golf, the core could be made extra-large" If Master Grip was able to make a ball that matched the distance and spin of the Pro V1, I'd be willing to bet that they did so with a cover that is very thin and fragile. It's hard to imagine MG out-engineering Titleist on a multilayer ball.

It's not so much that I am seeking to trade functionality for cost. The Pro V1 and Pro V1x are both great balls for many players. I am trying to avoid cutting up a ball, that is all. Some guys with slower swing speeds and different equipment can play a Pro V all round and not cut the cover, and that ball works great for them. For me, a Pro V backs up several feet, and a lesser ball stops dead. I think more than anything, the point of this thread was to rethink ball selection. It seems like better players are conditioned to gravitate towards the high-end multilayer balls because that is what most tour guys play and that is what the marketing tells us. Maybe I can get away with a lesser ball. I was hoping to hear from others in this camp, and if it saves me money, great! It's also possible I need to take a hard look at my swing and equipment and figure out how the hell I can reduce the spin I generate.

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!