IGNORED

Let's stop the nonsense with the flagstick

Dr. Strangeclub
Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I propose the following rule:

The flagstick cannot be removed from the hole at any time, for any reason. (The flag will be seated in the cup by screwing it in and only the greens crew need be concerned about it at all.) There are good reasons why this rule should be adopted forthwith:

1) The rules regarding tending the flagstick can go away -- there are far too many rules anyhow.

2) People damage the cup taking the pin out and putting it back in.

3) People won't be able to stick their putters in the hole to retrieve their balls and mess up the cup -- I HATE that!).

3) It speeds play.

4) People don't damage the green dropping the flagstick on it or gouging the surface.

5) It won't come out in the wind, so the group hitting up will be able to see it.

6) People won't forget to put it back it when they leave the green.

7) Sometimes dirt or sand gradually gets into the place where the flag seats in the cup, so it starts going in crooked or leans, and becomes difficult or impossible to put back in straight. This will no longer be a problem.

8) The penalties involved with hitting a flag lying on the green go away -- there are far too many rules anyhow.

9) Tending the flag will no longer be part of the game -- get that guy by the hole out of my line!

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

i see the argument both ways.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

To be honest, I've never even thought about the flagstick rules, and 3 minutes after I close this thread, I won't again. I guess I've just always played with responsible people and it's never been an issue for me.

When I'm playing as a single, a lot of times I won't pull the pin just to keep from picking it back up a few seconds later. But that's just me being lazy.

I propose the following rule:

Putts that hit the side of the cup can hit the flag and bounce out again.

Some older players with back problems that use the rubber thing on the putter can't use them anymore, or it will become a lot harder, potentially damaging the hole more so than those using a putter head to dig it out.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to concur with Zeph's points. The OP is proposing a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

To be honest, I've never even thought about the flagstick rules, and 3 minutes after I close this thread, I won't again. I guess I've just always played with responsible people and it's never been an issue for me.

I agree 100%, the flagstick has rarely ever crossed my mind, I rarely even use it for aiming purposes.

In My Bag:
SQ Dymo2 10.5
SQ Dymo2 15
a2 3-PW
Tom Watson Wedges 52, 56, 60 Unitized Retro 33"

Quite possibly the most useless arguement(?) I've seen on this board. Should we get rid of the tee markers as well? Those things just get in the way and kill the grass underneath them...mods, get rid of this thread please.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

Yeah I can see both sides of it. The problem I see with a change is a firmly hit putt would hit the stick and bounce out when many times it will drop. I need all the putts I can get. The rules folks will never do it though. It seems their to caught up with tradition...to my knowledge the only real changes they've made in resent years has to do with club technology. Could be wrong on that one though. ?

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

This is an idiot issue, not a golf issue. If most of the things on this list are worth giving attention to, it's because there golfers out there who are too ignorant to treat the golf course and other players with the respect they deserve. There are those out there who gouge their balls out of the hole with their putters, slam the stick down in the general vicinity of the cup instead of placing it inside, and neglect to replace the stick once it's been tended. But that's hardly the stick's fault.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

While were at it, maybe a 2 stroke penalty for not repairing balls marks should be considered.....................oh yeah, and 2 more stokes for not replacing divots.
  • Upvote 1

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

Quite possibly the most useless arguement(?) I've seen on this board. Should we get rid of the tee markers as well? Those things just get in the way and kill the grass underneath them...mods, get rid of this thread please.

[Foghorn Leghorn]It's a JOKE, son. Ah say, it was only a JOKE![//Foghorn Leghorn]

Tell you what...I'm always up for a challenge, so maybe I'll start a thread where you can say without a doubt that it's the most useless argument you've ever seen here. Stay posted for my standard diatribe on professional caddies! Hey, isn't there a bar in this clubhouse, where we can throw back a few beers and break the overhead lights copying each others' bad swings and stuff?

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt

While were at it, maybe a 2 stroke penalty for not repairing balls marks should be considered.....................oh yeah, and 2 more stokes for not replacing divots.

Actually, it would be more useful to require ball mark training before permitting people to repair them. Responsible players, like forum moderators, should be able to repair a half a dozen per hole -- I do! (Well...would you believe my own plus a few in the vicinity?) Bad repairs do more damage than the ball marks half the time. It's hard to fix a bad repair after a day or so.

You should have to have a "Volunteer Ball Mark Repair Team" badge or take a drop to get the ball mark out of your line.

It's time to tell the truth.....I know where all this stems from and you need therapy....

As a boy, your daddy was a greenskeeper wasn't he......and when you were a bad little boy, all he had was a flagstick to beat you with.....and every time, he'd whip out that flagstick and beat your little butt red.....all the while, yelling FORE.....

No matter how many flagsticks you attach to the hole, that pain is never going to go away is it????

Actually, I get your gripes....but if we fixed the flag issue, the dirtbags that bother you would just find another way to cause problems.....we'd see an increase in more carts driven on greens, more yelling "go in the hole" from the tee on par 5's, and even worse, more of my golfballs getting stolen by idiots from the other fairway.....I don't think I could take it.....and even though you might sleep better, my nightmares would return....

Putts that hit the side of the cup can hit the flag and bounce out again.

True, but according to Dave Pelz it happens the other way more often. A lot of those putts that might have motored past for a miss-able 4 footer can turn into tap ins.

Some older players with back problems that use the rubber thing on the putter can't use them anymore, or it will become a lot harder, potentially damaging the hole more so than those using a putter head to dig it out.

I generally handle that with, "Here. Let me get that for you..."

But, okay. Since my new cup and pin design already incorporates a screw in fitting, let's add a little bulb on the stick that you can squeeze to fill a little balloon at the bottom of the cup, pushing the ball gently out and off to the side, then deflating. (I'm on the phone to my patent attorney, even as I type!)

It's time to tell the truth.....I know where all this stems from and you need therapy....

I KNEW there was a bar in here!

There's no reason be rude. If you think the OP is a waste of time, then don't waste yours by reading it -

I will agree with other responses - this has never been an issue for me and the courses I play or people I play with. It's an interesting view on the matter, though.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!