IGNORED

Bandon Dunes Golf Course, Oregon

Canuck
Note: This thread is 5094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

has any played there? If so whats your opinion. I am thinking about stopping in on my way back from Palm Springs to play a round. looks like one hell of a track. Thanks!

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Are you kidding me?
You are really asking whether you should go?

OF COURSE you should go. I promise you it will be one of the best golf experiences you will have. As good as a trip (ok almost) to St Andrews. Better, imo than Pebble Beach. (What IS it about that place anyway)?
I think the 4th course, Old Mcdonald, opens in June. You can give us a review when you go back a second time.

Don't even think twice man. First class all the way.

Taylor Made driver (today)
Sonartec 4w - Nippon steel
Nickent Hybrid - Nippon steel
Mizuno MP 32 - Nippon steel
Cleveland Wedges (Lotta chrome)Putter by BettinardiYikes Batman, you have a mongrel bag !!!

Can't say from experience , but to say Bandon Dunes "looks like one hell of a track" is an understatement for the ages. It's actually 3, and soon to be 4, world-class tracks. (Believe #4, Old Macdonald, officially opens next month.)

Unanimously recognized as one of the States' premier golf destinations, and regarded as #1 by purists everywhere. Nobody, and I mean nobody, argues about Bandon's place among the game's greatest experiences. Only real argument is over which course is the best of the bunch. From the buzz on track 4, I suspect it may outdo them all.

Guess what I'm saying is, DON'T YOU DARE SET FOOT BACK ON CANADIAN SOIL WITHOUT HAVING VISITED BANDON DUNES!!!

And give us a full report upon your return.

Best,
Sean

I read a blurb in the latest Golf or Golf Illustrated where one of the main writers said he would pick Bandon Dunes over the Monterey Penninsula in a heartbeat.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

DON'T YOU DARE SET FOOT BACK ON CANADIAN SOIL WITHOUT HAVING VISITED BANDON DUNES!!!

What Sean said.

Cheers, DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

• 2 weeks later...

HI All,

Okay well i just got back from a trip from vancouver to palm springs and then drove back from Palm springs to Vancouver.... hell of a drive. All I can say about Bandon Dunes is, YUP definitely worth the drive !! I have played Pebble beach, Spy Glass, Spanish and all those course before which are great don't get me wrong. Bandon Dunes is like going to Ireland or Scotland but without the jet lag . All the course at Bandon are fantastic, greens are fast, winds are strong and common its links golf....REAL GOLF! I will be back next year 100% to play all 4 courses! I highly recommend this to anyone, just don't look at how much things cost and enjoy the trip. I should also mention that on the way back through Oregon I stopped in at Pumpkin Ridge and played a round at the Ghost Course, also a fantastic course which I will play again for sure. Please feel free to ask questions and I will be happy to answer them.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Glad we were able to talk you into hitting Bandon, Canuck. Took some real arm-twisting.

Chalk up another rave review, the only kind BD ever gets. Obvious question is, which course was your favorite? Also, did you play Old Macdonald and, if so, what did you think?

Feel free to share as much as you want about the place, right down to the beers available at the 19th hole. Some of us have to live the experience vicariously, for now.

Thanks for the rundown. Look forward to hearing more.

Sean

I played Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails. I got talking with one of the pro's from Bandon who I have run into a few times over the years at a couple golf tourneys, who took me out on a little exploring expedition of the Old MacDonald course. It was going to be a great addition (a little rough right now). I will definitely be making the trip again next year to play all 4 courses. I think that if you live within a few days drive or dont mind the flight then it is a must due trip for any golfer. I would however say that if you are a newer golfer the experience will be great but it will eat you alive We played the Black tee's on all the course (6,700yrds) and it sure played around 7,000yrds. We all played fairly well and enjoyed the company. At $165 for the first round and then $85 for the addition rounds it was well worth the money. I personally would recommend playing before May because first of all the price is drastically cheaper and I love golf on the coast in the late spring....just perfect!

Whats in the my bag,

Awesome info, Canuck. But I believe Sean asked about the beer???

How was the wind? I hear it blows there every now and then.

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip around Bandon Dunes... I still haven't played there yet, but your review has pushed it higher up the priority list :)

Your review of Bandon Dunes sounds like me after I played Pinehurst for the first time

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

LOL ya it was pretty fun and I smile thinking about it. I must say though, on our way home we played Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Course) and it was fantastic as well. It is a must play in my book. The staff is very knowledgable and they keep things running fast. anything over 3 hours and 59 minutes is way too slow for them. In our trip we had 3 pros and 1 very good golfer and they were pushing us a few times as well. So to sum it all up..... Play Bandon Dunes and play Pumpkin Ridge!!

Whats in the my bag,

i would love to go but i hate the wind...

Dude, you have got to get over that!

Just think of all the great seaside/waterfront courses you are ruling out: Pebble Beach and the entire Monterey Peninsula Kiawah Island Whistling Straits Chambers Bay Every course in Hawaii Ballybunion and most of Ireland St. Andrews and the entire Open rotation I'd hate to see you pass up any of these, given a chance to play there. Man up, Colin! Just having a bit of sport with you, mate. But seriously... Sean

i know, but im a wuss. :)
really, wind just messes with my head. when im standing over a shot and the wind is blowing me all over the place its hard to enjoy the round, im not sure i would get the most out of it.

BTW, to the OP, pics or it didnt happen...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i know, but im a wuss. :)

Understand your frustration with the wind, Colin. Just learn to keep the ball down and you'll actually come to enjoy playing in it... Easier said than done, right?

Agree that pics should be required of any poster who visits a golf mecca. Let's see 'em, Canuck! Cheers, DoctorK

~~Bobby Jones~~

Dude, you have got to get over that!

Chambers Bay SHOULD not be on that list! Secluded by a bay and not very windy, no holes where the water comes into play as well.

Great marketing though on their behalf to have people think it's a seaside course!

Chambers Bay SHOULD not be on that list! Secluded by a bay and not very windy, no holes where the water comes into play as well.

So you're saying Hudson Bay Links at Churchill MB is perhaps not as advertized? I've heard there are potential wildlife encouters - sounds great!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Believe the poster qualified with a separate "waterfront" catgeory for Chambers & Whistling Straits.

I thought the Tacoma Narrows area where Chambers sits was supposed to be very windy. Remember the film of the old bridge gyrating in the wind, then crashing into the sound? No doubt it comes up short of the Bandon/Ballybunion standard for wind, though. Cheers, DoctorK

~~Bobby Jones~~

Note: This thread is 5094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!