IGNORED

GolfTec Golf Lessons - Feedback, Discussion

Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have my initial evaluation on Wed at GolfTec. I haven't made a decision yet on whether or not I will be going ahead and taking lessons there as well. Has anyone used the GolfTec stores for their lessons? Do you recommend it over getting lessons at the golf course? What are your thoughts?

Now keep in mind that I am a new golfer but today I went in for my first lesson/evaluation today. I have to say I was very impressed. The intructor was PGA certified and had a degree in golf course managment. He was very professional and easy to follow. Lessons would have helped my swing either way. But, I think the ability to look at my swing on the monitor in slow motion while comparing it to the PGA professional's averages and listening to the instructor made a difference right away. I had my swing matching the professional's within a few minutes. I'm going to play golf tomorrow so I'll keep you updated on my progress.

• 3 months later...
I just wanted to find out if any of you out there have any experience with Golftec. I'm curious to know how popular it is if there's one in your area. Thanks!

Driver: R7 460cc 9.5* (Stiff Shaft)
3W:Firesole (Reg Shaft)
Hybrid: 3i 22* graphite (Stiff Shaft)
Irons: G5 3-PW (Reg Shaft)
Wedges: iWedge 52* Vokey 56*Putter: White Steel 2-ballBall: Platinum One

• 2 weeks later...
Wow... in a week, and no one's posted anything about their experiences with GolfTec... that might be telling in itself.

I was hoping to read about experiences... there's a "store" close to my office and many times I was tempted to give it a try, but not without some serious recommendations.

And would be specifically interested in knowing if anyone who considers themselves a "feel swing" player got anything out of all the mechanics & video analysis.

Currently Playing:
Driver: Custom Bang-O-Matic 460 9*, GD YS6+ Stiff
3Wood: Firesole
Hybrid: Rescue 17*
3 - PW: MX-23Wedges: Vokey: SM60.08 (OC), SM56.10 (OC), 252.08 (TC)Putter: Cameron Circa'62 No.2Ball: HXTourHome Course: MacGregor Downs CC, Cary, NC

I had 10 lessons with Golftec here in Denver (where they are headquartered) about a year ago. A friend of mine had been with them a loooong time and I went in and got his same instructor.

I was in pursuit of the picture perfect swing, and, in retrospect, that may have been my downfall. I was just too old and fat to get the kind of full shoulder turn that my 20-something mentor was trying to torque out of me. Worse, I simply wasn't able to consistently get my clubface back on plane coming down. I was doomed to months and months of hitting the ball, replaying the video and cursing under my breath.

Not that I blame Golftec. Not in the least. But if you go there, I suggest you be prepared to have your current swing ash canned and start from scratch. Maybe you won't need that, but if you do, they will.

One thing that did appear to me to be a bit of a gimmick was the video comparison of my swing to other players on tour. We did a little bit of that, but think about it......how does watching what the pros do right help you with what you're doing wrong? As a result, there wasn't much focus on that.

Slow motion video analysis (Golftec's or anyone else's) is pretty much about achieving certain positions at various points in the swing, and that's probably what many, if not most of us need. But it made me tense and anxious as I tried to do things that my body wasn't quite capable of. I just got tired of working that hard on something that I was not able to do. But had I been 20 years younger, I think I would have felt differently.

One thing that did NOT bother me was not being able to see my ball flight. When you hit it really good, there is no mistaking it. I didn't feel the need for additional confirmation. I just didn't get enough of those experiences in 10 lessons and a dozen more practice sessions. And I probably should not have expected it.

Anyway, that was my experience. It was not wildly positive, but I blame myself more than Golftec.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

• 5 weeks later...
Has anybody here had experience with Golf Tec schools? One just opened up near me and I'm wondering if it's worth it. They seem to have a lot of high tech teaching equipment, but I don't know if they help or if the prices are reasonable.

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

Check this prior post in another thread for my response.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4583
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Don't know anything about golf Tec, but anytime you pay for lessons you should ask the instuctor how they give their lessons. Do they tweek what you have or start with lesson one as if you never played before. Not everyone is able to have full body turns or good wrist action but still enjoy the game. Have an idea what you want to correct or learn so you can tell them what your looking for and if they can help. Better teachers are willing to help with what you have and make adjustments to help you play better and enjoy your round. Most problems start with having a bad grip and/or alignment.
Sorry LarryK,sounds like you got one just out of school and didn't hear the lesson about not everyone will be able to have swing like a pro.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I am about seven lessons in. I went to one pro for about three lessons before switching to another pro.

The first pro did not work for me, not that he was not good, but his teaching methods did not seem a good fit for me.

I like the second guy. He seems to rely on the numbers as a guide rather than putting me in exact positions based on shoulder tilt etc.

The video feedback has been great. I felt like I was staying level in my swing, the tape showed me picking my head up in the backswing. Now I feel like I am squating down during the backswing, tape shows me staying level.

In summary, I think it is more about the pro than the fancy tools. A good pro can help you without any tools, but having the tools helps. All the fancy tools will not help you if you have a bad pro, or one that is not a good fit for you.

I think you will know rather quikly whether the pro is a good fit for you. Do not hesitate to switch pros if it is not working out.

Good luck

I think the video and stats the teacher is using is more for the student to actually see what they're doing,the teacher should be able to see it but as a student you think I'm not doing that he's nuts. When you look at the video and see your swing you seem to get what he's saying.
Even though the teacher has all the right equipment for teaching they may not be the teacher for you.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

good teachers are hard to come by, but they do exist. You have to have a good understanding of how the pro is working with you and what they are suggesting, changing, etc. Video analysis is great, but it's not always needed if the instructor can get you in the correct plane, etc. with certain exercises that give you muscle memory.

Re:golftec, i've heard mixed reviews..but everyone that I know that's done it, has ended up going back to a pro that teaches outdoors.

With all the latest technology/gadgets, etc., anyone can become a teaching pro. I think you end up spending more time looking at your swing on computer and analyzing what it should look like, than you actually hit and try to physically correct your flaws.

novogolf.com

With all the latest technology/gadgets, etc., anyone can become a teaching pro. I think you end up spending more time looking at your swing on computer and analyzing what it should look like, than you actually hit and try to physically correct your flaws.

I think you hit it. The first guy tried to put me in specific positions based only on the numbers. So I had way too much to think about.

• 8 months later...
golftec.com

Anybody have any personal experience with these guys and their techy approach to game improvement? I have been thinking about investing in some winter lessons and like their pitch, just not sure of the results they provide (at least not the non-corporate approved ones).

Generally speaking I'm pretty teachable as long as the stuff coming out of the teacher's mouth is reasonable. I'm not going to be put off by the technology (IT is how I make a living). And, I like that they have a putting system as well.

Thanks for anyone's insights.

my buddy did it one time, and liked it a lot. they fit him, advised him on new clubs, ect.

but, he said they were pretty agressive about signing him up for a package of lessons and it was NOT cheap.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 10.5 UST Proforce V2 75
3-wood: Titleist PT 906 F2 15 UST Proforce V2 85
Irons: Titleist 695 MB 3-PW Dynamic Gold Stiff
Wedges: Titleist 56 Vokey, 60 Vokey Spin Milled
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 Mid-Slant (2000)

A store is going to open up in my area in the next couple of months, and they have been setting up introductory lessons at the Golfsmith store nearby.

I took the free intro lesson, and it worked out very well for me. Everything they told me had a reason behind it, which gave me confidence and them credibility. They showed me, with numbers and videos, what my biggest flaws were.

My swing was compared to professional golfers on their database. A single pro or multiple pros that are closest match to your body type. This instant feedback is great. They can be as technical as you want it to be. There has got to be at least 2 dozen things they measured. Everything was color coded. Biggest flaws were red, minors were yellow, acceptable were green. You can prioritize which fundamentals you want to work on first.

My teacher gave me 2 flaws to work on. One was my tendency to reverse pivot, which he showed me exactly how many degrees I was tilted. The other was that my takeaway was too inside.

Took my 2 weeks to practice the new swing. I feel my swing is much better now. I want to get measure again soon.

A friend of mine in college is the store manager in San Antiono. He started teaching me the game. I can't speak for all of them but he is good.

Home course: www.tupelocountryclub.org

• 6 months later...
Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!