IGNORED

GolfTec Golf Lessons - Feedback, Discussion

Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just a comment regarding spending $1000 for lessons. It's not that I'm against them, it's just that I believe seeing your own swing on slo-motion video often can be more beneficial (and cheaper) than signing up for an expensive lesson pack. A standard video camera with a shutter speed of 30fps cannnot do it. It cannot show you impact position of both the clubhead, ball or body. Obviously what the GolfTec professionals have to say is important. But what is missing is being able to monitor your own progress without going back and having your instructor watch you again.
Sometimes ball flight doesn't tell the whole story. How many times have we made a fantastic shot knowing we were out of position or balance. Our body is great in trying to correct a major flaw during the swing. However that is not how we want to improve. I have spent years honning a bad swing. Unfortunately you get to the point where you can't get any better.

Wouldn't it make more sense to purchase a high speed video camera (e.g. Casio model) for less that $300 and be able to see what your swing looks like initially and then hopefully watch and validate any changes you are making?

Again, I'm not against taking lessons, in fact, I think we should put our money there vs in trying to buy a swing with new clubs. I just feel that it would be quite beneficial to invest some of that money in a way to give ourseklves direct feedback wityhout running back for another lesson.

Wali

granitegolf,
That's a pretty good point ... I guess I hadn't thought of that (the particular instructor is just not working for me ... not that GolfTec is bad).

Ok so if I decide to take the rest of my lessons with someone else, do the lessons transfer to another location or do I have to just use another instructor at the same location? I would feel pretty crappy telling my guy "um I don't like you so I'm going to use someone else here at this location". I would continue to see him when I showed up for my lessons with the other guy and I would feel awkward. But, I also don't know how to tell him "um I don't like you so I'm going to a different location".

The guy I have been going to is an "apprentice" level instructor (for what that's worth), but has been at GolfTec since 2007.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

granitegolf,

You are not alone. I got worse with nine months of Golf Tec. I just couldn't perfect the timing involved in the conventional two plane swing they seem to advocate. I felt as though I was treading water, trying one swing fix for a month or two, then a different one for a month or two. Sometimes the swing fixes were contradictory (early wrist cock vs no wrist cock).

However, without my frustrating experience with GT, I don't know if I would have adopted S&T;, which helped my game right away.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

GolfTec has helped me out a lot. But having said that, I think I got a great instructor and it is more him than the system.

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

uttexas,
That's exactly the word I was looking for ... my lessons seem "contradictory".

One time he tells me to keep my left wrist flat & try to hold the club face more shut during the swing, and months later he tells me my left wrist is too flat & that I need to NOT try to hold the club face shut during the swing.

So by "S&T;" I'm assuming you are talking about the "Stack & Tilt" method? I have heard of it, never looked into it though. Are you getting your S&T; instruction from GolfTec, or someone / somewhere else?

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I tried the basics of S&T; after reading a Golf Digest article http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...2/stackandtilt I made better ball contact with an improved ball flight right away after trying the basics. I then purchased the book and DVD sets. There isn't an S&T; instructor in DFW, but lots of info on the internet (search "golf evolution" on youtube)

My GT instructor knew his stuff, but the fundamentals of the swing theory he was teaching just weren't for me.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

uttexas,

jaragon126, yeah, if the instructor you have just isn't working out, ask if you can use another one. Just tell them it's nothing personal, but perhaps you would benefit with someone else's insight, see if there's better chemistry.

I use the "head pro" with my Golftec. He's helped identify some valid issues, but other times I feel like he's just going off a script, not really analyzing my swing based on the past lessons. What I do now is review my lesson history and progress myself and set the lesson agenda, which has helped him focus on problem areas important to me (like my open clubface issue). Recently the lessons have been more productive now that I call the shots somewhat. Also, you mention in earlier posts that one can't tell about ball flight from hitting into a net, which is true. However, when hitting in the bay they have sensors that should detect the swing path and clubface angle, and from that one should be able to get a good measure of ball flight (i.e. for draws and fades, etc.). I'm guessing your instructor uses that info to also analyze your swing.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

I switched instructors at the same Golftec. I figure it is my money and I wanted to see how the other instructor was and come to find out I liked the other one. I don't have any hard feelings as it is expensive and I don't want to waste my money.

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

• 7 months later...
Today's local GroupOn coupon is for a 30-minute session at Golftec for $40. Is it worth it to go in there for 30 minutes and not sign up for lessons? Or are they just going to spend 30 minutes doing some sort of lame introduction to the golf swing, not really analyze much, and then put the sales pitch on me...

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

I bet money they spend 29 minutes of your 30-minute session trying to get you to buy lesson packages.

I would take that $40 you would spend at GolfTec and pay a golf pro at an actual course & get a half hour lesson from him.

But, lots of other ppl have had good things to say about GolfTec, so if you're interested in them, spend the $40 & see if you like them or not. If you have your 30-minute session with them & you realize that it's all a sales pitch, you can always decline to buy their additional lesson packages.

Just my 2 cents ...

I bet money they spend 29 minutes of your 30-minute session trying to get you to buy lesson packages.

I agree with you. I have a feeling it'd be a big sales pitch. I just don't know of any good pro's around here (personal recommendations, solid reputations, etc) to get a lesson from, so thought it might be an interesting thing to try. The more I've read though, the more I imagine I'd feel like I was at a car dealership or something.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

I agree with you. I have a feeling it'd be a big sales pitch. I just don't know of any good pro's around here (personal recommendations, solid reputations, etc) to get a lesson from, so thought it might be an interesting thing to try. The more I've read though, the more I imagine I'd feel like I was at a car dealership or something.

That's the impression I get everytime I go into a GolfTec, or even take a few swings at a store that has a GolfTec inside. However, I suspect that if you ask on this board for a suggestion in the Seattle area for a teaching pro, you'd find someone.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've heard stuff like the above as well, but I bit on the 30-minute swing diagnosis for $30 today with Groupon. I figured that I'm going to get at least a general idea of my swing, which I've never had taped before, and get a few stats about it (though we all know how it seems like all launch monitors have some sort of bias, with the exception of some custom fitters), and perhaps a couple tips that I can take away from the session. Since I'm planning on doing extended lessons with an instructor starting next season, I figured I'd just see what's up with GolfTEC, though I won't actually continue with them due to the cost.

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

• 2 weeks later...
Stay away from golftec!!!!! If you so desire to check out golftec, read the fine print! Their 'policies' are a crock!!! They ripped me off 600$! After completely wrecking my swing after 3 lessons, i asked for the supposed 30 day refund. They replied that if i sought a refund i would need to be charged 'ala carte' for lessons recieved, leaving me with 7$ out of 670$!!!! I am currently fighting this and desperately trying to get my money back (and swing, which is the worst part). Do yourself a favor, unless you wanna spend thousands to work on 'posture and such', then get left up the creek without a paddle unless you spend thousands more, get yourself a real pro to help you improve your game. Golftec is concerned about one thing only, making money and getting you to buy more lessons. Take my word, golftec may be one the worst things you could ever do for your game, period.

• 4 months later...

to sum up, stay away from golf tec, buy a video camera, and take lessons with a class "A" pro at a nearby range or private club.  i was surprised to learn that many private clubs allow their pros to give lessons to non members.  all it takes is a phone call.

thanks to all for saving me $$$$$$$.

i absolutely love my golftec experience. my instructor is a real nice guy and knows his stuff. asks my opinion on certain things so he can better adapt his drills and teaching style to my learning style. not sure about other golf tecs but mine has an indoor putting green. nice to have somewhere to chip/putt in the winter.

again, not sure about the rest, but mine offers outdoor shortgame lessons, range lessons, and putting lessons. the biggest thing i have learned to utilize is the practice sessions. for 3 months-ish at i think about 279bucks you get to use the indoor bays. you can use the cameras set up to record your swings for immediate playback on a computer provided in the room. you can draw lines on your swing for analysis as well as pull up swings from pros to have a side-by-side in the event you are working on immitating a move from a pro.

i have found that this is a much better use of my time than going to the range and hitting a couple buckets. and while im not sure how accurate they are, there are measurements after each shot to the ball speed, clubface angle, club speed, distance, swing-time.

i had a co-op work assignment while in school and had a brief income and spent a good bit on a lesson pack from golftec. it has since run out, while i have paid for an additional practice bay membership...but im confident i will return to golftec when i get a full-time job. has really helped me understand my swing better and gives me a warm place to practice in the winter as well as a bunch of pros that want to see you improve.

just my 2cents

edit:  just went back and looked at previous posts...found somebody else wrote Just My 2 Cents....found that funny...yeah its 4am give me a break.

• 2 weeks later...

do they offer different lesson packages and if so how much do they cost? There site doesn't say how much a lesson is or what packages they offer such as 3 lessons for $100.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!