IGNORED

Driver sound

Note: This thread is 4303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This might sound like a silly question but what drivers out there have a good sound at impact?

Not that I'm basing purchasing a driver because of the sound...but
I ask this question because I recently purchased the Nike SQ Dymo and at impact, it sounds like glass shattering and I've caught myself holding back from hitting the driver at the range because the sound is so awful and ear piercing. All balls are fairly consistently hti within the sweet spot but that sound is ear shattering!

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Titleist & Taylormade both have really nice sounds at impact for those who don't like the noisier drivers like Nikes. I play a Callaway FT-5 which has a very distinct sound that I really don't like or dislike...at the end of the day, it's about what performs. Just my two cents.

R7 Superquad

Exotics 18*

Exotics 25*

AP2 (2008)

CG15 56* & 60*

Rossa Imola 8

TP Black LDP

I think this one is all about personal prefrence. I can't stand Nike or TM drivers because they sound way to loud to me. Cobra and Cleveland drivers sound dead to me, almost like the face has no pop. Adams, Callaway, Ping, Titleist all have a clean crisp sound off the face to me.

909 D2 9.5* Voodoo
906 F4 15.5* UST V2
3DX DC 19* UST SR2
AP2 3-PW PX 5.5
Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.08 DG S300 Circa '62 no. 7 NXT TourWhite Tacki-Mac Itomic Career Low: 1 over par 71

My former driver was a Ping G5 and definitely had a nice pop sound to it.
I just can't shake off this Nike driver. It resonates all the wrong way at impact.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

This might sound like a silly question but what drivers out there have a good sound at impact?

You don't want a G10.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Ive the Taylormade R9 and it makes a good sound,not too loud "look at me over here" and not too quiet.....just right i think...

In my Sport II cart bag or my R9 stand bag
Irons-Tour burner R/5-Sw,60 lob wedge z groove
Driver-R9 Supertri R/10.5
09 Hybrid #3 R/19
09 Hybrid #4 R/22Putter-Method 001,Length : 34 Ball-Those round white ones...

I've had three different Callaway FT drivers. I'm currently back to my original FTI. I hate the sound of it. You can hit it right on the sweet spot and everyone within a 1/4 mile wheels around to see the wreck, dogs bark, geese take flight .....well you get my point. If it didn't keep me in the fariway so well I'd toss it.

Always liked Titleist. Ping, generally, are OK. Quite like my current Geek DCT...just as well really!

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It really depends what your opinion of, "good" sound is. Some people dont like the louder drivers. I used to have a Mizuno MX-560 and that thing was loud. My R9 has kind of a loud sound to it.
The new Mizuno MP 630s are pretty quiet. They dont have the, "tink" sound that most of the newer drivers have. They have almost more of a, "whack" sound like the old persimmon drivers had.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It is really opinion....To me TM Burners and the Ping G line of drivers sound the best. Cobra's sound pretty good also. My Nickent DX has a really crisp nice sound. The worst to me are Hi-bore drivers and the Nike sumo. Those things just are to loud and have a crappy sound. You can hear them halfway a crossed a course and know what it was.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Titliesist

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

My Callaway FT-iQ is pretty loud, but it's sort of a cowbell kind of noise so it's not as offensive as some. I didn't like it at first, but it becomes a lot more musical if you hit it right on the sweet spot. It manages to be loud without screaming, "Hey look at me!!" the way some do.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

My old Nike Sumo2 sounded like an aluminum baseball bat--hated it. Loved the sound of my Talylormade Burner ('07) and my current Nickent Evolver 4DX - both very "solid" without too much twang or resonance 3 fairways away.

Not sure if there's any physics/reality to it, but i hit my Sumo2 (with otherwise similar shafts/loft) shorter than the other two, and i always wondered if more energy was being dissipated as sound waves rather than into the golf ball!

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

I get funny looks every time I hit my Cleveland. I'm used to it, so I don't notice it anymore, but every time I play with a new group, they all jump the first time I tee off like I just used a shotgun to tee off with.

Note: This thread is 4303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!