IGNORED

what wedges are in your bag?

Note: This thread is 4949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

what wedges do you have in your bag. A lot of people that i see have like 3 ranging from 50 to 60 degrees

i have a gap wedge that came with my mizuno set which is about 50-52 degrees? and a 60 ping wedge

would it be worth it to pick up like a 56 wedge?

if so which kind would be the best?

BAG:Nike ExtremeSport 2
DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's
WEDGEPing 60 & Mizuno MP R Series 56 PUTTERSeemore FGPLOWEST 9:36LOWEST18:74

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland CG12 48, 52, 56 and 60

I play on a pretty short course so under 130 yards is my true scoring zone. I took out a hybrid for an extra wedge and it is shaving me a shot a round maybe.

From the top:

R9 TP Driver Stiff 9.5deg
R9 TP 4-Wood Stiff 17deg
X-Forged Prototype 3-9 Stiff (rifle flighted) 48deg, 52deg, 56deg, 60deg CG12 Wedges Newport Longneck TeI3 One Black

I would add a 56 deg. It is the most versatile wedge in my bag since I only use my 60 deg for actual flop shots around the green. I use the 56 deg from 100 yards and in, from the bunkers, fairway, rough, most chip-shots, etc. I personally like Cleveland wedges. The weight and feel of them is just something I am really used to.

At most courses I play 4 wedges (47, 51, 56, 60). When a track is 7000+, I add my 2-iron or hybrid and lose the lob wedge.

"I'm not going left or right of those trees, okay. I'm going over those trees...with a little draw." ~ Tin Cup

Same as RY1808. 48, 52, 56, 60. I kind of subscribe to the Dave Pelz philosophy. Learn to hit each of the 4 wedges utilizing backswings to 10:30, 9:00, and 7:30. This gives you 12 different distances. You gotta practice it a lot though.

I took a look at the MX100 iron specs.

Your PW is 45º and the GW is 50º. If you like their feel, why not try the 55º SW from the set? That way, you'd have matching wedges and a consistent 5-degree gap between your wedges. This would make setting up distance yardsticks for partial wedge shots much easier. (Not sure how far your Ping LW goes in comparison to them).

A 55º or 56º works well out of bunkers. The MX100 SW has 12º bounce, which is about average for a bunker club. If you play in very soft sand, a SW wedge with more bounce might be helpful.

Being you're a 12 HDCP, you might also consider some of the more precision wedges like the Cleveland CG series, or the Mizuno MP series. These have smaller heads, and make it easier to work the ball if you have some time to practice. Could swap out everything above PW. Just a thought.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are there advantages to having more than a PW and a SW?

What can a Gap or Lob give you that you can't accomplish with a SW or a PW?

I have a pitching wedge, sand wedge and lob wedge. Use the pw from about 80-100, sand from 60-80 and lob wedge from 0-60. Really liking my wedge set up right now.

I played PW (47 or 48), GW (52), SW (56), LW (60) for quite a while, but switched out the 56 and 60 for a 58 last year. I use a MacGregor MT DW 58/10 or a PING iWedge 58/11.5-I've gotten used to the simpler approach of using 3 wedges, and I think beginners or higher 'cappers should try to keep it simple. Stick with PW/SW until you're extremely confident and capable with both, then worry about adding wedges if need be.

Wilson Staff Goose-Neck PW and a Wilson R-20 Gene Sarazen barrilium copper Special Wedge. I use the PW mostly and open the face for more loft when needed. I practice with this one club up to and including flop shots instead of keeping extra wedges in the bag and learning them all. I know what my PW will do. On occasion of heavy rough, I switch to the SW.

My PW is a Mizuno MP-32 47*, gap wedge is a Mizuno MP-R 52*, sand wedge is a Mizuno MP T-10 56* and my lob wedge is a Mizuno MP-T 60*. I used to not have a 56* wedge and found that I had a pretty big gap between my 52* and 60*.
Personally, Id buy a Mizuno MP T-10 56* but theres lots of great wedges on the market. You honestly cant go wrong with just about any name brand wedge.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Are there advantages to having more than a PW and a SW?

I see what you mean because I grew up playing with 5 clubs in the bag. I know what it feels like to be able to work every club and still get around the course. But I also agree with

max power that the gap and lob should be added once you become more experienced. I have a 30 yard gap between my PW and SW. While I could handle that (and did so when I was younger), it is easier to consistently control distance on those shots that fall in between with a gap wedge. It just brings down the margin for error. The gap wedge is even more important nowadays with Taylormade coming out with a 43 deg pitching wedge. If you have only PW - SW with that set you will have a gap that is 13 deg of loft. The lob wedge on the other hand is not for everybody. I didn't start using this until a couple years ago and did so because my home course has fast greens with a lot of slope. I only use it for tricky greenside shots where I have to flop over a bunker or to a tucked pin and stop it quick. It is still a high risk shot, but it is even higher risk when you try to open the blade of a SW and do the same thing.

"I'm not going left or right of those trees, okay. I'm going over those trees...with a little draw." ~ Tin Cup

see sig. my 50 is my 110-120 club, my 54 is my go to club for chips, short pitch shots and sand. My 58 is money on a day like to today where it was wet and soft and could throw my ball right at the flag.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I have run into several single-digit handicappers who carry the 50-54-58. Most of them say the 58 is easier to hit than a 60º or higher lofted wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play 4 wedges: MX-25-PW 45*, Cleveland CG14 LW 50*, Cleveland CG14 SW 56 and Cleveland CG12 60*.

I hit my 56* mostly, but use the 60* for tight lies, soft bunkers and flop shots.

PW - 48º (Titleist - part of wedge set)
GW - 52º (Titleist Vokey SM)
SW - 56º (Cleveland CG10)
LW - 60º (Titleist Vokey SM)

I just got the 52º a couple of days ago and haven't even hit it yet. Looking forward to it, as over my golf playing years, it seems I've had more shots in between my PW and SW than any other shot in my bag (well, except maybe putting). Pretty good at controlling the distance of my 48º PW, but wanted to try out a GW.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

I have a 45* PW, and then three Vokey's coming in at 50, 54 and 58.

I started with just a pitching wedge and then added the 58* first. It's got enough bounce that I can use it as a sand wedge or a lob wedge and it really is my go to club for all short pitch shots and to get out of the sand.

I found myself needing a 100-115 yard club a lot (my PW is typically about 130y) so I then added the 50* which has filled in that gap nicely...I guess that is why it's called a gap wedge.

The 54* I just picked up and used on the course for the first time today. I got it because that will give me nice 4-5* wedge gaps and I got is used for $65 so I figured why not. I haven't quite found what I'll use it for but so far I'm liking it for chipping or short pitches from uphill lies which make the 58* too lofted in a lot of cases.

Driver- titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* 
Fairway Wood- titleist.gif 909F2 15.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff
Hybrid- titleist.gif 909H 19* 
Irons- mizuno.gifMX-200 4-PW, vokey.gifSM 50.8 bent to 51*, SM 56.11, and TVD 60*M
Putter- cameron.gif Newport 2.5 

I see what you mean because I grew up playing with 5 clubs in the bag. I know what it feels like to be able to work every club and still get around the course. But I also agree with

Thanks, I play with a pretty simple bag anyway. I usually don't carry my Driver or 5 Wd. I hit the 3wd farther and straighter than the driver, and I can do more with my 3hy than I can with the 5wd. I also carry a 5hy and then only carry 7-Sw. At my stage of the game my shot selection is pretty limited and I really don't get a huge yardage difference between the 6 and 7. Or the 5/4 iron and 5hy.

Note: This thread is 4949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!