IGNORED

To hybrid or not to hybrid....

Note: This thread is 5099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quick pop quiz:

1) Do you play hybrids?
2) Which make/model are you a big fan of and why?
3) Which make/model would you avoid like the plague and why?
4) Anything else?

The reason was a mate (off 4) who's been a raving anti-hybrid man (much the same myself I'm afraid to say) just got a second-hand Cleveland 3h (or 2h; not sure of model either). He's been impossible to shut up about it the last week or two; he loves it so much (long, straight, yada, yada, yada...) he's ejecting his 3-wood and thinking of another one.

Went down our local American Golf this lunchtime and blasted a load of their's (2h/3h) in their net. Think I tried the current models from TaylorMade (dunno models), Callaway (Diablo, Diablo Edge and something else), Ping (G15 and I15), Mizuno (MP Clk), Titleist (909H), Nike (MachSpeed and VR) and Wilson (2010 Fybrid). All were stock, stiff shafted.

Results:

Hated Ping G15 (for all it's raved about; I like traditional, minimal offset) but I15 was OK

Callaway didn't cut it

TM...nah

Mizuno - had hopes but nah

Nike - VR surprisingly OK but not MachSpeed

Titleist - Oh mama! What a club (may have been the VooDoo shaft)...pity about the cost though!!!

Wilson - surprise package; nice looks at address and went very well

So.....has anyone played the 2010 Fybrids?? If so, what do you think? Anyone out there playing the 2009 version? Comments?

I might be (I am!) tempted by Titty's 909H but I'm curious about the Fybrids so would really appreciate any info on the 2009 or 2010 versions.

Drat it ! Was hoping to avoid getting in to these but I must have hit 40/50 balls and mishit (a mild thin) a single ball from a cold start. I can't see me doing that (ever) with a 2-/3-iron!

If you can't beat them.....

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i currently have a nickent 3dx ironwood 18.5* and an adams pro gold 21*. to be honest i can see substituting my adams for another down the road, but not right now. i never see my nickent leaving the bag, its incredibly long, awesome off the deck, tee, rough, and its very workable. when i have trouble finding the fairway, i don't pull my 3wd, i always hit my hybrid. its my favorite of any my 14 clubs. i recently added the adams, i like it but i am still getting used to it. it has been great so far.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

I have a 19.5* Fybrid (last year's model). Love the head, but not the V2 R shaft.

I have a used Nickent 4dx 2H - I think it's probably draw biased - meh.

I prefer my 5w or a 2-iron, but I think it's the shafts.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Once you go Hybrid...........

I started out with a 22* Taylor Made Rescue and could not hit it consistent at all.

Bought a 24* Callaway FT and loved it. Since then I have dumped the Rescue and bought a 21* Callaway FT and am hitting it solid too.

I also love my Callway FT 3 wood.

I am getting back into golf after a 12 year layoff. So this Hybrid deal is pretty new to me and I was sceptical. Now I am pretty much sold. But still hold on to my 3I and 4I just in case.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

the nickent is sweet

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I have a Titleist 585h, the predecessor of the 909h. I LOVE that club. I'm a grad student so I picked up a used one for like $99, in great condition. I got the 19˚. I love it so much it's replaced both my 5w and my 3i. Regular full swing goes 210-220 with no wind, I can deloft it and get it 220-230, and I can choke up and swing easy and hit it ~200. If I had the money I'd get a 22˚ too. It's a club that might be a bit above my current pay grade, but even so it's much more consistent that my 3i or 4i. When my swing's not on I can get the nasty hooks with it, but as a 4.4 it should be money for you. It's the only club in my bag that I can even semi-successfully shape. I've both faded and hooked the ball around trees on or very near the green with that club.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Nike Slingshots HL for me. I struggled with 3 and 4 irons before, and these seriously changed everything.

I actually have a Powerbilt 4H that i love even more....it cost me $40 and shit I can hit with that thing for some reason.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Personally, I am a big fan of the Taylormade Resue Burner hybrids. They're reasonable priced and are just perfect for my swing and tempo. I can hit about 180-190 with my 22° TM Hybrid.

I would also suggest getting fitted for a hybrid, to see which one you'd like and which one is best for your swing/tempo.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Haven't played and new hybrids. Some of them look horrible at address. My brother has TM burner. Not the biggest fan of THAT one.... But dude, awesome avatar! mmmm Turkey.

Big Bertha 454, 10* reg
904F, 15* Dynamic Gold S300
Tour Special, 18* reg
DCI 962, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold R300
X tour wedges, 52* and 56* 8881 putter Pro V1's for the momentBlogging my "Quest for single digits" every week.

Not surprised you liked the Wilson Fybrids--they are very highly regarded. I currently have the 19.5, 21 and 24 degree Fybrids with the V2 stiff shaft (last year's version), and although I still need to improve with hitting hybrids in general, they are great clubs. Today I hit a great tee shot with the 19.5 on a par 3. I like the Fybrid Hybrids enough that I just traded in some clubs to pick up the Fybrid 3 Wood, which is on the way. The new Fybrid HS hybrids and fairway woods have been getting excellent reviews as well.

Equipment:
Ping K15 Driver (10.5º) - Diamana BB R flex; Ping G15 4 Wood (TFC R flex); Ping G15 20* Hybrid (TFC R flex); Ping G15 23* and 27* Hybrids (AWT R flex steel); Ping G15 Irons 6-GW (AWT R flex steel); Ping I-Wedge 54* Wedge; CG14 BP 58* Wedge; Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9 Putter

1) Do you play hybrids? Yes! 2H/3H, sometimes a 4H depending on how I'm hitting the ball
2) Which make/model are you a big fan of and why? Adams Idea Pro, those were the ones I liked when I demoed a few.
3) Which make/model would you avoid like the plague and why? None specific. Personally, any one with an offset.
4) Anything else? My recommendation, if you aren't sure about using hybrids, try to demo one on the range and on the course.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

I have the 2009 FYbrid with the stiff V2 shaft, and it is stupid easy to hit strait. Also easy to scrub off distance by choking down on the shaft. Also a big fan of the Baffler DWS, TWS, Pro, etc.

Adams A7 idea hybrids.... gotta demo that one mate!
In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

Really was a skeptic of hybrids till I hit a few. Man I can hit them much better than my long irons. Got some Tour Edge's from RBG and have been very happy with them.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

i personally don't like hybrids much at all, myself and many of my buddies agree that they have a noticeable tendency to go left (right for you strange lefties), not sure why but its been rather apparent to me since day one. I won't deny that a well struck shot feels great though, i've had a brief affair with my 17* again since replacing the shaft with KBS's steal rifled shaft and chopping it down. they come off the face hot and are easier to put on the ball in the rough, but with distance and hit-ability not an issue i'm going to drop it and make my 3 iron a couple degrees strong and add a wedge.

I have a three and five hybrid and I love them both. But I'm getting a 2 and a 4 hybrid soon to fill out my bag and getting rid of my five wood. I hit the 5w really well. But think I'll find more situations the use the 2 hybrid

1) Do you play hybrids?

For sure!

2) Which make/model are you a big fan of and why?

Titleist 909H. With the Diamana Blue 80, the weight feels just about perfect for me. Lovely impact sound as well... not too metallic or "tingy."

3) Which make/model would you avoid like the plague and why?

Not a huge fan of the Callaway Diablo range. I put a 24* model in my bag last year and found it to be excellent off the tee, but terrible from the fairway and deep rough. Hit the ball way too high, and in some cases managed to get more vertical distance than forward distance!

Don't like the Ping G15 either. Despite the "rave reviews" I just found it to be a horrible club that did nothing to make slices or fat shots more respectable.
4) Anything else?

Another line of praise for the 909H

i personally don't like hybrids much at all, myself and many of my buddies agree that they have a noticeable tendency to go left (right for you strange lefties), not sure why but its been rather apparent to me since day one. I won't deny that a well struck shot feels great though, i've had a brief affair with my 17* again since replacing the shaft with KBS's steal rifled shaft and chopping it down. they come off the face hot and are easier to put on the ball in the rough, but with distance and hit-ability not an issue i'm going to drop it and make my 3 iron a couple degrees strong and add a wedge.

I would agree with the hitting them left. I've had to make an adjustment to my settup, but hit them just fine.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Note: This thread is 5099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!