IGNORED

"you wont make it with a 4 iron."

kevinbomb123
Note: This thread is 5087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ok so this guy told me that i wouldnt make it to the green which was 200 yards away with a 4 iron. He had a rangefinder and said "you wont make it" ok so that got me boiling so i hit my shot and what happens lands right on the green. He said nothing after that. This was the type of guy that tells people how to hit shots when they cant. anyone ever play with one of these guys.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone told me I couldn't hit a green 180 yards away with a 7 iron.... I did. He left my group.

WITB;
R9; Tour Issue Aldila DVS R flex
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood
Mp-60 4-PW KBS Tour R Stiff
MP series 51, 56, 60 Squareback No. 2. DT So/Lo

Good for you Kevin.

I can't stand people that always have to tell you what you can and can't do. Never let anyone discourage you from taking the shot you want to take. Maybe next time he'll learn to keep his ego and mouth in check.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

Golf is such an individual sport....I find it humerous that some feel the need to club everyone.

I played my home course yesterday with a good friend. We come to an uphill 175 yard par 3. He's a beast (college linebacker ten years ago). He's got honors on the tee box and for some reason asks me what I'm hitting....I laugh and show him my 5 iron. He proceeds to hit a towering shot pin high with, it turns out, an 8 iron. I hit a decent shot to the back left fringe. We both par.

We've got another guy who plays with us ocassionay who would've tried to club us together. It can be funny when he does this 'cause he assumes too much.

My buddy and I simply enjoy playing our own games and just try to outscore him ( he's been playing forever).
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I was playing in Miami - Crandon Park. Playing the tips. Hitting 6 iron over the water to a par 3 - hole 12 if I remember right... I'm on the box standing behind the ball going thru pre-shot routine.

A maintenance guy pulls up and says - - "It's a four iron from there"

I swing. Ball flies the green into the back bunker.

I say - "A four iron to where? The next tee box?"

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Haha, I've actually never been on that end of it. I usually get "oh my god, what did you hit there?....." and then "you hit a what iron what?!"

I'm lucky enough not to have played with that pessimist.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most people I play with pretty much keep to themselves, most of the time asking me what I hit or using my gps for yardages (which I do with anyone that asks, I never give info that someone may not want).

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

ok so this guy told me that i wouldnt make it to the green which was 200 yards away with a 4 iron. He had a rangefinder and said "you wont make it" ok so that got me boiling so i hit my shot and what happens lands right on the green. He said nothing after that. This was the type of guy that tells people how to hit shots when they cant. anyone ever play with one of these guys.

What's funny is, there's no standard length or loft of any iron, no standard distance to hit any club. Next time someone tells you what iron to use, ask them what loft and length of iron they're basing it on. That usually shuts them up.

Hell, just ask them what their handicap is. If yours is lower, tell them they have no right to tell you ANYTHING about golf since you're better.

Is that right? No.
Is it fair? No.
Is it funny? Yes.

If their handicap is lower, do what Shanks a Million suggested

WITB;
R9; Tour Issue Aldila DVS R flex
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood
Mp-60 4-PW KBS Tour R Stiff
MP series 51, 56, 60 Squareback No. 2. DT So/Lo

I had sort of the opposite happen yesterday. I was playing my other regular course, and on the 16th hole, 167 yards I pulled a 5 iron. Reason being it was an easy 2 clubs into the wind with an open elevated tee box, just wanted to hit a punch 5 iron into the middle of the green.

My playing partner was "you should be hitting a 7... that's way too much club." Long story short, I pulled my tee shot slightly, and ended up about 12 feet from the pin, and he ends up about 20 yards short, puts his second in the front bunker.... never said another word.

As for loft and lies, my irons are very traditional... at 28 degrees, my 5 iron proably has the same loft as most newer 6 irons and even close to some 7's

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I get club selection recommendations from one golf buddy, but he's usually right on the money (he knows my yardages - he'd make a good caddie). I never hear it from strangers, but did as a beginner > 20 years ago.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm frequently stopped and told I have too much club. I hit my 4-hybrid between 155 and 170, depending on how I'm swinging that day: I can usually gather this pretty quickly. I'm frequently told that, because I'm inside 200 yards, I shouldn't have a wood of any sort out.

One of the reasons I love club tournaments: no one in the group would risk his own score by telling me anything other than yardage.
As for loft and lies, my irons are very traditional... at 28 degrees, my 5 iron proably has the same loft as most newer 6 irons and even close to some 7's

How funny is it that I knew you had the possible irons, in my head, down to about 3-4 sets from this alone, before checking your signature? And yes, the MP-33s were one of the ones I had guessed.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ok so this guy told me that i wouldnt make it to the green which was 200 yards away with a 4 iron. He had a rangefinder and said "you wont make it" ok so that got me boiling so i hit my shot and what happens lands right on the green. He said nothing after that. This was the type of guy that tells people how to hit shots when they cant.

Boy do i know how you feel...i play a few rounds with my uncle and he treats me like i dont know what club i need for most shots...(im 35) im not a kid and i know how far i hit my clubs...like on a par3 (154 yrds) he pulls a 4 hybid and ends up 5 yrds short ,i pull a 6 iron,"you'll never reach with that"he tells me,i hit my 6 center of the green with the flag to the front edge,so i turned to him and said "your right it was the wrong club,it was too much" lmao...and then heres the best one...i took my scotty out(not long had it and cost me a pretty penny to say the least)made my putt and yes it was a bad putt ,completely wrong line..lol...next thing i hear"id nevr buy a putter like that,try this one my uncle shouts(his odyssey 2 ball)im thinking are you f**in kidding me,have you even heard of scotty putters...by this time im raging....

In my Sport II cart bag or my R9 stand bag
Irons-Tour burner R/5-Sw,60 lob wedge z groove
Driver-R9 Supertri R/10.5
09 Hybrid #3 R/19
09 Hybrid #4 R/22Putter-Method 001,Length : 34 Ball-Those round white ones...

I've really only had one experience with this, never with a complete stranger. My fiance's uncle who is in my golf league is like this. He is pretty good and probably plays to about a 8-9 handicap, but he just thinks he knows everything golf. It gets really annoying, and I LOVE playing with him whenever I get the chance just so I can maybe beat him. He only gives advice after you hit a bad/mediocre shot though. I like chipping from the fringe and for some reason he thinks that you could be closer with the putter every time no matter what. So when I hit a chip a little off line he loves telling me, "well you see, using your putter here is a lot easier shot".... and then tries to demonstrate. It just really gets my blood boiling, it's not like I pull a wedge and chip because I think it is a harder shot!

In my Ozone stand bag:
Driver: 909 D2 9.5
3 Wood: MT-15
Irons: 1025-C 3-P
Gap: Spin Milled 52-06 Oil-CanSand: Spin Milled 56-08 RawLob: Spin Milled 60-13 Oil-CanPutter: AntiguaBall: Z-Star X

I've really only had one experience with this, never with a complete stranger. My fiance's uncle who is in my golf league is like this. He is pretty good and probably plays to about a 8-9 handicap, but he just thinks he knows everything golf. It gets really annoying, and I LOVE playing with him whenever I get the chance just so I can maybe beat him. He only gives advice after you hit a bad/mediocre shot though. I like chipping from the fringe and for some reason he thinks that you could be closer with the putter every time no matter what. So when I hit a chip a little off line he loves telling me, "well you see, using your putter here is a lot easier shot".... and then tries to demonstrate. It just really gets my blood boiling, it's not like I pull a wedge and chip because I think it is a harder shot!

I get exatly the same,i prefer to chip from the fringe with a 9 or 7i and yet all i get is "you should use your putter for those"...the trouble is with putting through the fringe you give it a bit more wellie and it runs 4/5 feet past the dam cup....

In my Sport II cart bag or my R9 stand bag
Irons-Tour burner R/5-Sw,60 lob wedge z groove
Driver-R9 Supertri R/10.5
09 Hybrid #3 R/19
09 Hybrid #4 R/22Putter-Method 001,Length : 34 Ball-Those round white ones...

Most people I play with pretty much keep to themselves, most of the time asking me what I hit or using my gps for yardages (which I do with anyone that asks, I never give info that someone may not want).

Yep, same here

i dont understand why people can just let you play golf and figure it out for yourself (unless asking for it), this happens to me all the time with my mates cousin, he plays to a 10 after playing for years and just because i've only been playing for a year and a half he thinks that he should be telling me what club to use on every shot whether it be from the tee or from the fringe, if he was my cousin then id tell him to shut up but id just feel awkward seeing as its my mates cousin. its SO frustrating

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

You have the shot, he doesn't. I don't think I'd let that bother you. Prehaps his silence was the sound of eating crow.

I've played with those types and b/c I know my yardages with my clubs my reply usually is, "oh really".

Note: This thread is 5087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!