IGNORED

scratch play - range finder essential?

Note: This thread is 5090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wondering how important it is to have the exact yardages and learning how to use that information towards dropping my scores.

Any low handicappers use one? Any don't?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just wondering how important it is to have the exact yardages and learning how to use that information towards dropping my scores.

Take my response for what it's worth (i.e. I'm not a low handicapper).

I think it's important on new courses and when you're putting a new club into service. If you know a course well, and you know the general yardages (e.g. which iron won't put a layup through the fairway or into a pond) you could do without one. But if you're like me and you play a different course every week, they're very nice to have - frees up the swing.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'll echo what others have said. I personally have never used one, but if I were playing many different courses I bet they would help. Without a range finder, it forces me to think a bit more, and I think it helps develop a feel for distances and shots.

I'm also pretty poor too, so this falls into the "want" versus "need" category.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I have been using a rangefinder for the past 4 years. I have improved quite a bit in that time. Some of that comes from just getting better. I took some lessons and 'figured it out'. The thing for me that was most lacking pre-rangefinder was distance control. I would approach a shot and just guess on the yardage. Sure you can step off from the marker, but you still have to guess on the flag position. Then after you hit, it is still a guess on how far you actually hit the ball.

Once I got the rangefinder all the guessing was gone. I knew that I was 157 from the flag from my position. In the past I knew I was 'around' 150, maybe a little past that. So I hit a ball to go 150 and would come up 20 feet short. Can I hit a ball 157 on demand all the time? No, but occasionally I can. It helps me because I know I need to hit a ball more than just the 150 swing. Then over time, I have figured out how to hit the odd ball yardages by adjusting what I do with my grip and swing. Mostly just trial and error. One hole I have 110 and hit it too far, so the next time I know to ease off it a bit. I know how far I am hitting with each swing because of the rangefinder and can make adjustments. There are many times I am +/- 3 yards on approach shots because I know how far I can hit a club, and I know how far I am from the hole. That equals a lot of shorter putts.

Essential? Not really. Very helpful? Extremly.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

desire to buy in increasing...

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

I have a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 and it's probably the single best golf purchase I've ever made. Knowing distances is a huge part of the game, obviously. I can't tell you how helpful it is to know you're 150 yards from the flag rather than "ahhh... looks like an 8 iron."

Now, when I miss the green, I have a lot more shots that end up pin high as a result of knowing the correct distance which leaves an easier chip. Before I got the rangefinder, I would no doubt have a couple shots per round end up a club too long or too short AND left or right of the green which can put you in some tough spots to get up and down.

I'm not sure how I ever played golf without one to be honest.

I'll echo what others have said. I personally have never used one, but if I were playing many different courses I bet they would help. Without a range finder, it forces me to think a bit more, and I think it helps develop a feel for distances and shots.

Do you feel every shot or do you pace up the yardage?

If I'm 150 yards from the flag, there is no fricking way I can tell that. I could probably guess anywhere from 100 to 200 yards. Pacing takes up time, shooting the flag with a rangefinder takes a couple of seconds. If I'm at new courses, I always got a course guide and score card which tells me the flag position, so I can decide on where I want to miss, but the exact yardage to the flag is always useful.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I've had mine for 2 years and it's a great tool to have in the bag. It helps with more than just yardages to the pin but you can hit bunkers or trees if you need a yardage to a dogleg. I won't say that it will make you a scratch golfer but it will definitely save you some shots.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I don't use a laser or a GPS. I just pace off the yardages, but that isn't to say I don't want a laser or GPS....

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Do you feel every shot or do you pace up the yardage?

Generally, yes. I will find a sprinkler, or simply pace from the 100/150/200 posts. It doesn't take more than a 30 seconds, and it provides an opportunity to think about wind, where the flag is and begin to visualize the shot.

But you are both right. Estimating yardage to a front/mid/back pin is a guessing game, even if you've got a sense of the depth of the green. Who am I kidding though, it's so windy in NE that I don't think knowing it's 122 instead of 120 would help tremendously.

I used to play w a GPS and it ruined my touch and feel for the game
inside 60yds, I use muscle memory from practicing to hit those shots
im pretty good from those distances

I think outside that a Rangefinder would be better than GPS
my GPS didnt always work right and pi$$sed me off.....

where i think it would be MOST usefull....when i spray one right on the next fwy and trying to guess yardages to the pin

a rangefinder might be in the future...but no time soon I dont think
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

. . . a rangefinder might be in the future...but no time soon I dont think

I think waiting until after Mother's Day is prudent - maybe you can get one for a once in a lifetime Father's Day gift?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Generally, yes. I will find a sprinkler, or simply pace from the 100/150/200 posts. It doesn't take more than a 30 seconds, and it provides an opportunity to think about wind, where the flag is and begin to visualize the shot.

You got the same opportunity with a rangefinder, but you'll save the time pacing off the yardage. Having 150 to the flag doesn't mean you always pick the 150 club out of the bag, it doesn't silence the wind or dry out the water hazard in front of the green. A range finder simply give a more accurate distance to any object. Useful on courses with poor course guides that don't show distances off the tee to bunkers, water hazards etc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I think waiting until after Mother's Day is prudent - maybe you can get one for a once in a lifetime Father's Day gift?

dude...thats a sweet idea!

hmmmm.....ill wait till AFTER m-day to pitch it though!! hahaah!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

personally i feel naked when i play a round without one. i use a bushnell tour v2 and its incredible. it comes in to play mainly inside 100yds so i can really dial in my wedges. its also great off the course for use on the range, practicing with it is almost as good as playing a round with it. i went from a 9 to a 5.2 in 3months using one all the time.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

Zeph - I agree with you. Pacing the shot is a deliberate way for me to think about it. Do you ever find that with the range finder, you lose context of pin position and pre-shot thought process, kind of like you are selecting clubs and swinging on autopilot?

Nope, I usually get that part done before I get to the ball. Judging if the wind will make a difference, finding out where to aim and where I want to miss it, deciding which club to use, elevation etc.

A rangefinder doesn't take away anything, it just gives you an exact distance to the pin. If you pace the distance off to be 160 yards, you are in the same position as if you shot it with the rangefinder. The difference is that the rangefinder finds the exact distance, it does not depend on how long your steps are, where on the green the pin is positioned or how accurately the distance markers on the course are. So you don't have to spend time pacing it up, looking at the depth of the green, trying to imagine how many yards it is from the center or front etc. That is all a part of getting the right distance. Once you got the distance, you can start adding or removing clubs depending on what kind of shot you want to hit, wind, elevation etc.

Shooting the pin with a rangefinder is faster, more accurate and give me more confidence. I don't have to worry if the distance markers are off, or if I've calculated it wrong. If your ball lies on top of the 150 yard marker it's pretty easy, but if you are in the rough in between markers, with a different angle, you may not be quite sure of the distance. Knowing the distance gives me confidence, because I know it is correct. If I make the necessary adjustments (if needed) and hit a good shot, I know my distance will be right.

The Tour players got yardages of the entire golf course they play at, they can hit a shot down to a couple yards accuracy.

Note: This thread is 5090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!