IGNORED

scratch play - range finder essential?

Note: This thread is 5090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use GPS, and find it essential (and no i'm not scratch, but i know my iron yardarges pretty well--too bad they aren't always straight!). Speeds up play so I don't have to pace yardages -- especially if I hit it on an adjacent fairway or something--not that i've EVER done that ;)

And they don't have to cost an arm/leg -- i use a free one for my Blackberry (BBGPSgolf) that's always within a few yards of readings sprinklerheads or my partner's laser rangefinder...i like it a lot. There are apps for iPhone as well (i think most of them cost $, but still usually a lot cheaper than a dedicated unit).

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

• 2 weeks later...
I have been thinking of buying a rangefinder for awhile but have been fiddling around with my iPhone and using an app. Problem is that is never accurate and i always have to double check distance on sprinklers and stuff so its not really working. Can anyone recommend a good cheap one? Bushnell seem to be number one but expensive... i am not keen on gps devices tehy are never correct anyway appreciate some feedback

Problem is that is never accurate and i always have to double check distance on sprinklers and stuff so its not really working.

I think not all distances are correct on the course. The pole showed 150 (beginning of the green) the sprinkler had 152 to the center of the green, which was straight ahead.

Personally, I tend to trust the GPS accuracy. Ah, well, I want a rangefinder, too. In the meantime I use Googles maps to get an idea why I was wrong again... Google Maps Distance Calculator . Maybe you could get hold of the old GX-I model - I plan to.

Well first of all, it is very important to calculate exact yardages and that is exactly what a rangefinder does. In my opinion, many people are beginning to depend on them. What if you enter into a tournament and the Committee does not allow them? I guess you would be SOL. I prefer walking the yardages off (much easier on courses marked well). The key is to making sure your strides are as close to a yard as possible. Get a yard stick out and check, remember the feeling. Something that really helps is a pair of binoculars or something similar. Using them will allow you to see the pin placement and any undulation in the green. Hope that helps!

In the Cleveland bag:
Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 9.5°, Aldila NV 65g S
Cleveland Launcher Steel Fairway 15°, Fujikura Gold 65g R
Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 20.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Gold 65g S
Mizuno MP-60 3-PW, Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 S ...

Well first of all, it is very important to calculate exact yardages and that is exactly what a rangefinder does. In my opinion, many people are beginning to depend on them. What if you enter into a tournament and the Committee does not allow them? I guess you would be SOL. I prefer walking the yardages off (much easier on courses marked well). The key is to making sure your strides are as close to a yard as possible. Get a yard stick out and check, remember the feeling. Something that really helps is a pair of binoculars or something similar. Using them will allow you to see the pin placement and any undulation in the green. Hope that helps!

Rangefinders are allowed by the USGA, why would a tournament committee not allow them? And if you happen to come across a tournament with this rule, what makes you not able to pace the yardages off that one time? Do you think those that use a rangefinder somehow lose the ability to locate a sprinkler head or yardage marker and pace off the distance?

A rangefinder is an alternative to pacing off the distance, providing more accurate and quicker results. You can play good golf using both methods. The rangefinders got a built in zoom, so you can use it to enlarge objects far away if needed.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rangefinders are allowed by the USGA, why would a tournament committee not allow them? And if you happen to come across a tournament with this rule, what makes you not able to pace the yardages off that one time? Do you think those that use a rangefinder somehow lose the ability to locate a sprinkler head or yardage marker and pace off the distance?

You're right, rangefinders are allowed by the USGA but they may not be legal during tournament play if the Committee votes not to allow them. Also, if nothing is mentioned about rangefinders on the Local Rules sheet, they are not allowed.

Ok, maybe I got a little bit ahead of myself. I didn't mean that someone would lose the ability to locate a sprinkler head and pace off the distance, I just ment that they wouldn't be able to use their rangefinder. I mean, if you found out that you couldn't use your rangefinder during a tournament you would be a little upset. I guess I'm just a little more traditional.

In the Cleveland bag:

Also, if nothing is mentioned about rangefinders on the Local Rules sheet, they are not allowed.

Why is that anyways? Don't think I've ever seen rangefinders mentioned in local rules. Should be the other way around, that measuring devices was allowed unless otherwise stated in the local rules.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why is that anyways? Don't think I've ever seen rangefinders mentioned in local rules. Should be the other way around, that measuring devices was allowed unless otherwise stated in the local rules.

Because them's the rules. FAQ:

http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_a...idx=49&Rule;=14 Note that if you're playing in an informal group, I believe your group is its own committee, so you can make your own conditions of competition. You can therefore adopt the rule allowing rangefinders regardless of the course local rules. (My source for this idea of "group==committee" is my memory of Fourputt, who generally knows the rules very well, posting it somewhere on this forum.)

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Yeah, I see your point and I agree with it. Many "new" committees probably don't think about this; therefore, they probably don't mention it on the local rules sheet. So anyone using them during play would be subject to penalty.

In the Cleveland bag:

it would be nice to know the exact distance to the pin; low/high handicappers alike but I would think better player who can shoot consistent distance will benefit more.

Just wondering how important it is to have the exact yardages and learning how to use that information towards dropping my scores.

well a rangefinder wont get your swing in shape but certainly takes the guess work out of it and maybe distance control can be improved after a while. the leupold seems pretty good and the bushnell you guys that use rangefinders which model would you suggest I also found this one www.rangefindergolf.com.au its australian though but good price and have all the features of a bushnell, any suggestions???

it would be nice to know the exact distance to the pin; low/high handicappers alike but I would think better player who can shoot consistent distance will benefit more.

I was using mine today to confirmation estimated yardages - trying to get back to a more feel approach within 60 yards.

One of the best things a high handicapper can use a laser rangefinder for (based on my many experiences as a high handicapper) is to aid with club selection to reach the fattest part of the fairway and the heart of the green. Trust the yardage. Trust the swing. Let if fly.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!