IGNORED

Anybody using a Taylormade R9 3 Wood?

Note: This thread is 5018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking to upgrade my 3 wood from my old 580.
The taylormade R9 looks good but haven't hit one.
Any thoughts? Other standout 3 woods to consider?
Thanks.
Chuck

I have an R9 3 wood. It's the first 3 wood I've ever really felt comfortable with. I like the way the leading edge sits very tight to the ground, it gives you the confidence to hit it of a tight lie. It's probably not the most forgiving 3 wood but it goes very straight (for me). If I was to lose or break it I would get the same club again (maybe in a 4 wood though). The other 3 wood I was considering was the Ping G10/G15, it was a very close second.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

No, but I wish I was. Unfortunately my Nike is worth next to nothing so I don't want to trade it in. I really like the shape and small size of the R9.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

currently on my wish list ... between that and the diablo edge tour 3w...decisions

i love how each of them hit but am torn on the idea of adjustability and if it's a good thing or a bad thing to have... (ie. would the ability to change it mean i'd find a crutch for a bad swing)

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

My buddy just got the R9 3W and loves it. I've got a Burner '08 3W. Right now they're on sale for $129.99 which is a great deal if you ask me. It's an easy club to hit - even off the deck.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

I purchased one from Ebay used, hit it at the range a few times and realized my 07 Burner 5-wood launched it higher and farther. I now carry the 07 Burner in a 3-wood as well, super hot face on those things. The clubs are 3 years old yet TM still gets $129.99 new for one, should say something.

I have also heard the new Burner Superfasts have an exceptionally hot face as well.

I had one for a short period of time. Hit it well the first few times out, but then I just couldn't hit it well anymore. So I went back to my old faithful Callaway FT-i 3 wood, and have been hitting it very well. Maybe I didn't give it long enough before I sold it, but it just wasn't the club for me, and I hit my 3 wood quite a bit on my home course, so I need full confidence in it.

• 2 months later...
I put the R9 3 wood in my bag a couple of months ago. I have found it easy to hit off the fairway. But I love to hit it off the tee. I am, at least for the moment, smitten.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I purchased one from Ebay used, hit it at the range a few times and realized my 07 Burner 5-wood launched it higher and farther. I now carry the 07 Burner in a 3-wood as well, super hot face on those things. The clubs are 3 years old yet TM still gets $129.99 new for one, should say something.

Agreed. The '07 Burner fairway woods are incredible and you can find great deals on them. I'm in the process of picking up one to match my 5 wood.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

07 Burner (TP model) +1

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I got one pretty cheap from a friend and I really like it. I mean I have nothing to compare it against though because it's pretty much the only one Ive ever used since I just took up golf.

The feel seems great though. The grips are comfortable. I seem to make solid contact alot more with the 3w than the 5w for some reason though.

In my bag:
R9 Driver 10.5 - R-Flex - Graphite
R9 3 & 5 Woods - R-Flex - Graphite
Tight Lies GT 2-8 Irons - R-Flex - Steel
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

Mizuno MP fairways are pretty impressive. Pretty small head and shallow face so easy to hit off the deck, but they're VERY long. Hit them at the range with G10/Diabo Edge/TEE and they smoke the ball. Awesome trajectory for me as well. They're a little pricey retail, but check Ebay and you can get them pretty cheap.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I picked up an R9 3 wood last year and haven't looked back. It's the best 3W i've ever had. I tried 4 different models last year and it wasn't even close for me. I've never been so confident both off the tee and off the deck.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

Note: This thread is 5018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!