IGNORED

hybrids and 5 woods

cantputt
Note: This thread is 6409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which do you guys prefer? a hybrid or a 5 wood? im currently using a taylormade hybrid... and it is a nifty club but im getting sick of the bad hooks. im tihnking of going to a 5 wood. what degree would you guys suggest for in between a 3 wood and a 3 iron. im currently using a 16 degree hybrid and distance wise it fits ALMOST perfectly :P

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

just another question.. the reason being iw anted to go to a 5 wood as because the taylor made mid rescue hybrid tends to hook like mad... aka the hook machine... i read on the reviws that the tielist hybrid has no offset .. does that mean no more hook machine? or does the taylormade rescue not have offset to?

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

I prefer a 5 wood when I'm not playing my 2-iron. I've never really caught on to the whole hybrid thing, even though i know they're great. I have an old warbird 5 wood that I just smoke

17 degrees seems to be a good loft for a five wood...depending on the lofts of your 3 wood and three iron...but that has been perfect for me

I picked up a cleveland hibore hybrid last saturday and freaking love it. It is great for the rough, tee, fairway. I compared it to the sonartec, and halo at golf galaxy and hit it very straight and long compared to the halo, I just didn't like the feel of the sonartec, and I have never had a 5 wood I liked. Odd thing about the hibore vs the halo was they look almost identical. I had my heart set on the halo going in too, it was also about $75 cheaper, but the difference in feel and performance was considerable. I played it 3 rounds over the long weekend and hit some real beautifull shots with it, shots I never had in my bag prior to picking this up. It is my first hybrid.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

There are many hybrids available to golfers of all skill levels. Having a mid to high handicap, I've found the Cobra Baffler 23* very effective for my game; so much so that I recently purchased a 20* to replace my 7 wood. I hit my woods pretty well - indeed, I have to rely on them often because I don't have the distance other players do - but I find the shorter shaft, common to most hybrids, helps me accomplish two things: 1) because the shaft is shorter, I hit the ball more flush more consistently than I do my woods, and consequently, I often hit the equivalent hybrid further than I do the fairway wood, and 2) I seem to hit the hybrids straighter more often. These attributes suit my game and may not be as relevant to a more skilled player such as you. However, there are hybrids, such as the TaylorMade Dual TP or the new Titleist 585.H, designed for the better player like you, which you should probably demo before making a decision between a fairway wood and a hybrid. Good luck to you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I have a Titleist 904F 19 degree and a Nickent 3DX Ironwood DC 20 degree utility. Even though I love the way I hit the 5 wood, I tend to put the 3 utility in the bag, because of the many possible ways that I could use the club. The 5 wood is more limited in its use and on my home course, I use a driver or 3 wood to tee off on the par 4/5's. I've only been playing for 10 months, however, so I'm pretty new to this. My thoughts ....

totally agree with you about the TM rescue...major hook machine. tried every hybrid out there and only liked nickent 3DX...not the new model. still couldn't get into the hybrid thing though, so went back to traditional fairway woods.

actually, the best friggin' 5 wood i ever had was a Ping ISI tour (IST?) wood wood. it had a clear plastic round insert in the sole and was the sweetest thing, high/low, draw/fade--you name it. but like the club ho i am...er, was...i traded it for something else. now i can't find one again, DOH!

i too would be happy to hear about other good (older if possible $ vs. $$$) fairway metals/woods. SCMike, is that the first gen Warbird you have (not the S2H2), and how do you like it compared to all the callaways that followed (steelhead--fusion?)

anybody just carry driver and 4-wood?

Driver: FT-5 Tour 8.5* neutral
3 wood: TEE CB1 15*
Irons (3-PW): Nike forged blades
SW: Sonartec T35 proto 54*
LW: Sonartec T35 proto 58*Putter: Yes! Tracey

I carry just a Driver and a 4-wood. Most courses that are played (atleast by me) do not require a hybrid club. The 4-wood gets me the distances off the tee i need for short par 4s and on the par 5s, if im not going for it in two, im laying up with an iron. All in all I believe that unless you have trouble hitting your 3-6 iron, you shouldn't need the hybird. Those were made to replace or be an alternate for these long irons.

Which do you guys prefer? a hybrid or a 5 wood? im currently using a taylormade hybrid... and it is a nifty club but im getting sick of the bad hooks. im tihnking of going to a 5 wood. what degree would you guys suggest for in between a 3 wood and a 3 iron. im currently using a 16 degree hybrid and distance wise it fits ALMOST perfectly :P

I've long since ditched my 5-wood for a hybrid. Hybrids set up so nice and are so easy to hit off the tee, tight lied, out of the rough, you name it... At any rate a hybrid makes a lot more sense to me for sheer ease of use.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry just a Driver and a 4-wood. Most courses that are played (atleast by me) do not require a hybrid club. The 4-wood gets me the distances off the tee i need for short par 4s and on the par 5s, if im not going for it in two, im laying up with an iron.

I to carry driver 4wd, but also a 7wd. I carry a hybrid 4iron. I think the 7 wood is a little more versatile. I am not long, carry the 7wd 175-180. I feel the extra length on the shaft and ridges on the sole help me out of the rough. I tend to hook hybrids out of the rough.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I had been looking into a 2hybrid for a while to replace my 5wood. Though after my recent golf outing over the weekend, where my 5wood saved my ass on too many holes to count, I believe it has earned the right to stay in my bag. Maybe it heard the rumors and decided to perform for me so it wouldn't get sacked.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

Note: This thread is 6409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!