IGNORED

not taking divots

Note: This thread is 5071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For some reason I dont take divots and i cant figure out why. I hit the ball crisp well it feels like and the only time i get a divot is if the ground is really wet or if i hit it fat. Without a video what could be some reasons that im not getting a divot and is it ok that im not getting one.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the same exact problem. It's really frustrating. Hopefully someone will have an answer...

Driver: 909D3 9.5*
Wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: a4 3-4H
Irons: MP-57 5-PW
Wedges: MP R 50.5 SM 54.12 MP R 58.10Putter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Mid SlantCorrect me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...

This (like many) is tough to address without seeing a video of your swing. But, generally a swing that is too shallow through the ball will result in a shallower divot.

Also, pulling through and spinning out with the hips can cause thin shots and shallow divots.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Very tough to address without seeing a video. As far as "is it OK?" . Tom Watson is a self proclaimed "picker" of the golf ball. I would say it has worked for him.

In the bag:

FT Tour Driver w/ Voodoo X-flex
DST 15* 3-wood w/ Diamana X-Flex
I-15 20* Hybrid w/Mamiya X-Tour 4-PW w/ X-100's (Third set of these I have owned) CG15 52,56,60 Wedges Dianna Putter

It could be many things that are causing you to not take a divot

- Spinning your hips to quick on the downswing making you pop out of the shot
- starting the downswing with your shoulders which will make you come over the top and flip your clubhead through impact, also known as casting
- trying to help the ball in the air will result in a non downward strike on the ball which produces a picked shot

I don't think it's a problem at all. I don't really take divots and ball striking is definitely my bread and butter in the game. My ball position is also a bit more forward than most other players I see. However, when I play a trap shot with my short irons and wedges, I do get a pretty large divot.

If you're not getting to the ball cleanly, maybe check that you are at full extension at impact which will bring the bottom of your swing arc lower. As previously stated, videos would help.

Are you sure you hit the ball crips every time? If you hit if fat from time to time, chances are the bottom of your swing is too far back. Could be lack of weight forward.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Here is the OP's driver swing. Probably not going to help in this topic....but we will get more videos next weekend.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Here is the OP's driver swing. Probably not going to help in this topic....but we will get more videos next weekend.

he definatly redirects the club to much more vertical when he gets to the top, kinda crossing the line. his miss is prolly a slice.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

here is what ur doing wrong,

- keep your right elbow close to your side during your backswing, you have it completly flying at the top
- your also starting your dowswing with your shoulders and coming over the top

Appreciate all the tips as kpaulhus said ill get some iron vids next week and post. I have actually changed my driver swing a little because i was slicing the ball(dont asked what i fixed cause i dont know, just went to range abunch and tried differnt things til i found something that worked a little better.)

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

The only way to take serious divots it to pound the ball down into the ground. I try not to think about a method for taking a divot but rather let taking a divot direct my swing. But I know some people play really good golf taking minimal divots. If you try to start taking divots you will probably hit more than a few fat shots but eventually you should get better at it. But if as you say you hit the ball crisp then why bother?

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I don't try taking a divot, it happens by itself when I manage to get a good descending stroke on the ball. When I don't get it, my weight has not moved enough forward, my head has moved forward, head lifted, flipping or something like that.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I don't try taking a divot, it happens by itself when I manage to get a good descending stroke on the ball. When I don't get it, my weight has not moved enough forward, my head has moved forward, head lifted, flipping or something like that.

That is another way of thinking about it but one that does not work for me. I have come to the conclustion that am more of a feel player and can't think about too much mechanically just before I swing. I think about taking a divot and that causes me to make a descending blow on the ball.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Some players dont take much of a divot, it doesnt mean you cant hit the ball well. I once watched tom kite hit irons for close to 45 mintues and he didnt move a blade a grass...it was quite gangsta, TBH.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

To the OP I'm the same way, I don't take much of a divot either, just a little one on shorter clubs. Seems when I try to take a bigger one I don't hit it as solidly. So I just roll with it, I probably don't get as much spin as others that do, but on a positive side I'm able to hit my longer irons better than most (because of the sweeping motion) and also good for fairway bunker play as sweeping motion is needed their too. So I'd say if you hit the ball well and have the distance you like just play that way. You just have to play for a little more roll out when hitting into green.

In my TaylorMade Catalina cart bag
TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 TP 8.5*
Cobra Baffler Pro 18* Aldila NV Hybrid Stiff
TaylorMade 300 Forged 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0 Stiff
Cleavland 691 Tour Action 52* CG10 58*All wraped in Itomic Tacki-mac grips Oddesy White Hot #4 cut down to 33 1/2" Tempest...

It's proven the more divot you take, the futher the ball flies

I've taken huge sods of turf out of the ground.

The ball didn't go very far.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Note: This thread is 5071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!