IGNORED

Is Tiger's Dominance Boring You?

ragontona
Note: This thread is 6434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Tiger's Dominance Boring You?

• Yes.
    • No.

In other threads, people are starting to flame Tiger and the PGA tour for being boring. I assert that it's the exact opposite -- exciting, well-played golf by the single-most dominant player in recent history. It not his fault that the field can't seem to raise its game to challenge him. It's not his fault that he plays a level of golf that most can't even comprehend.

I never thought it was boring when the Bulls were winning championships with Jordan. I never thought that Montana leading the 49ers was boring. Was it boring when Byron Nelson won 11 in a row? Was Jack winning 18 majors boring?

When exactly does mastery of one's skillset become tedious to watch?

There can only be Yes and No in this argument, I believe. Let the fray begin.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

to say it's boring is like being a art history nut and say that British Museum was fun for 5 minutes only
Are you kidding me? This is great. It's fun to watch, it's educational, it's like a magic show. If you are into golf - all you can do is sit and gloat at the tube when The Man is playing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger is like watching Houdini, Jordan, Nolan Ryan, and Jack incarnated into one. How many times can he sink a 15 footer for birdie when his charging opponet has a two foot birdie. How many times can he hit a six iron from a fairway bunker 212 yds to a green surrounded by water. I don't know, but how can you not want to find out.

I don't see how watching the man who is best in the world at something do it better than ever could be boring. I never watch Tiger expecting someone to actually beat him. I watch Tiger to see if he can top his last performance.

The tour does have a problem though. If Tiger figures out how much money he generates for the tour compared to everyone else, he could decide to push his weight around. I am not saying he has done it already, or that he will, just that he certainly could whenever he sees fit. His dominance as a player and as a tournament draw could begin to affect the way tournament sponsors look at their costs.

It is obvious that if you can get Tiger at your tournament, it will be much more successful than without him. I can imagine sponsors wanting their contracts written so that they pay x dollars without Tiger and x times 2 with him. This could cause some real problems for the tour down the road.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I don't see how watching the man who is best in the world at something do it better than ever could be boring. I never watch Tiger expecting someone to actually beat him. I watch Tiger to see if he can top his last performance.

you bring up some interesting points. I find myself not interested in tourneys that Tiger is not in. I mean it's like the winner has won a minor leauge game if Tiger is not in the field. With regards to Tigers absolute power over the PGA, somehow I see it as more of a partnership. Tiger does not seem the sort to be corrupted absolutely.

you bring up some interesting points. I find myself not interested in tourneys that Tiger is not in. I mean it's like the winner has won a minor leauge game if Tiger is not in the field. With regards to Tigers absolute power over the PGA, somehow I see it as more of a partnership. Tiger does not seem the sort to be corrupted absolutely.

A famous saying goes like this, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts, absolutely."

From your lips to God's ear. I hope you are right.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

• Administrator
you're pretty observant cdriver!!!

Back to topic...

I think watching the best ever at ANYTHING is compelling. If someone was the best ever glass-blower, I could probably watch him work for hours. That it's golf - something I truly love - only goes to further explain my "Hell no it's not boring" answer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I dont' get enough time to just sit down and watch golf, but I do my fair share of reading all of the media that i can about accounts of whats going on, along with statistics. And lately with tiger winning anytime he plays, i think it gives me something more to look forward too. I got home last night after a day with family and got on espn.com to check and see if tiger had come back to beat vijay, and I have to say it just gets me excited wondering if he won again. Everybody wants to get behind a winning streak. Whether its tiger winning each start he makes, or a home run race, or any other type of streak. It makes for a great story. People who don't like it just want to thumb their noses at the masses, who like getting involved in some story like this.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

I voted no. I'm constantly in awe of what he does, and the longer he does, the more interesting it becomes.

[iacas - feel free to move this if it's too far OT]
As an aside, I always wonder what it would be like to take a player like Tiger, or any pro for that matter, and put them in a context we would consider normal just to see what they would do. Give them the Jack Nicklaus starter set from Costco, a sleeve of Pinnacles and send them out to play from the white tees at the local muni. How long would it take them to adjust to the clubs and balls? How would they putt on the bumpy, hacked up greens? Would an unfamiliar layout pose any challenge at all? Just something I wonder about...

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

[iacas - feel free to move this if it's too far OT]

As an aside... Tiger would break 60 every single time, given those conditions.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

As an aside... Tiger would break 60 every single time, given those conditions.

How cool would it be to watch him do it? To watch someone throw a 58 at a course I can't break 90 on...

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I played with my old club pro one afternoon while he shot 63 off the back tees at our local club. Even though it was a pretty easy track, a 63 still makes your jaw drop open. I can't imagine how easy that course would be for a guy like Tiger. He would be hitting driver/lob on the par 4's (or driving them) and driver/wedge on the par 5's. O'Meara says Tiger has shot 58 at Islesworth while he was playing with him and that is one hard golf course.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

hm.. 3 people voted "Yes", yet I haven't seen any posts backing up these choices. Whoever is bored with it - care to elaborate? I'm really curious what kind of arguments could be listed...

hm.. 3 people voted "Yes", yet I haven't seen any posts backing up these choices. Whoever is bored with it - care to elaborate? I'm really curious what kind of arguments could be listed...

...uhhhh...I could see "the same old shirt on Sunday" argument...or maybe....heh...."same old 15 and 25 foot puts to stave off any challange"....or...well you get the point

Pretty much everything I want to say has been said.

Hell, I'll say it again. Tiger is going to become the best who ever played this great game, no doubt about it. So, how can watching history being created be boring? I just wish I was at home yesterday morning instead of at work so I could have watched that 63.

I can't wait for the Masters next year - imagine the hype that's going to surround it.....
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

I voted yes and I really don't care to watch any one team or athlete dominate anything. I turn to something else or go do my art work. Much more exciting to me. Thats just me tho and I respect others opinion of wanting to watch him dominate the field.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

Note: This thread is 6434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!