IGNORED

Help with irons.....

Note: This thread is 5095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well the past couple of times I have been golfing my irons have been horrible! I am unable to get the ball into the air like I used to and I haven't changed a thing! It usually goest straight right or left....and I can't seem to work the problem out..... Can anyone help me "get back to basics" with my irons. The game we all love is very frustrating for me because my game is never complete. For example my driver may be incredible one round and the irons horrible etc.....I'm just not very consistant. So I ask my friends here at the sand trap to get me back on track. I am going to the range tomorrow to hit a couple of buckets to work on my irons because that is what is suffering the most. So I would like to try the drills you suggest then. Anyone with any help would be greatly appreciated..
Driver: DIABLO EDGE
Hybrid: 5DX
Irons: X-22 Irons 4-PW
Wedge: X-22 51* AW, CG15 54*/58*
Putter: Method 001Ball: Penta TP

You;ve got a really nice set of irons.

Almost every time My swing gets off and I hit a string of bad shots, it's almost ALWAYS do to tension. You're first couple balls just take an easy club like a wedge, and take some nice, smooth, relaxed swings. This always helps me.

You;ve got a really nice set of irons.

Thanks Nuck, I'll give it a try. And thanks for the compliment. I'll tell you this, when I first received my x22's i could get the ball up in the air long a straight like a pro heehee, and then the damn honeymoon period wore off and now i'm where i'm at now.....

My problem is I WANT to hit the ball well, and in wanting that I'm so tense I dont realize it.

I play on the GigaGolf version of the X-22, best money i;ve spent on golf yet other than my lessons. I was learning on blades and just didn't have the swing for it. Funny thing is, during my lessons most of the time is usually spent on tension freeing drills and excercises not mechanics. One of the things that helped my swing the most, was a drill were I only have two fingers (middle and ring) of my right hand on the club when I swing. I was clamping with my right hand so tightly I wasn't allowing the natural inertia of the club head to square up. After all, EVERY clubhead is designed to roll through and square on a swing. Most of the time slices are caused by us, getting in the way of what the club wants to do. If all else fails.....K.I.S.S

I hit more duffed iron shots today than I usually do in 10 rounds, plus 2 outright shanks that went 45* right. I usually shoot low to mid 80s, today was 99 and I was actually driving the ball as well as normal. Some days it's just a mystery, no explanation for the poor play. Hopefully your problems are just a temporary aberration, I sure hope mine are!

What helps me when I get in a funk with my irons is to take half swings. Half backswing, half forward swing just to get the feeling of the club properly coming down and through the ball. Start with some pitch shots with the 7i.

Like dizzler said, though, sometimes the swing just does whatever it wants to for a bit. It's frustrating as all hell, I know, but then I look at it like I'm fortunate enough to NOT be a pro and I can step away from the game for awhile. Doing that truly helps, resets your mental aspect.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Try this.

I do my practice swing with my feet together. It forces me to turn my shoulders and release the club down through the ball as opposed to being all arms and just flailing the club through the zone. When I can't get the ball in the air, it's usually because I'm lazy or tired and my swing is all arms.

Near impossible to suggest anything to work on without seeing you swing. Two biggest & easiest are probably keep your head still, & don't swing so hard. Loosen the grip to about a 3/10 & make sure there's no arm or hand tension going back. The natural thing to do when things start going south is to tighten the grip & swing a bit harder which just tenses up the bigger muscles & exagerates the problem.

That being said, sometimes the swing just takes a vacation. I had a point after the winter for about 3 weeks where i could barely flight an iron. Then i played in a hit n giggle event & started creaming it again. Weird game.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Like I said I'm going to the range today to practice on my irons, hopefully I can get out of the funk that i'm in....any other suggestions would be appreciated.

What helps me when I get in a funk with my irons is to take half swings. Half backswing, half forward swing just to get the feeling of the club properly coming down and through the ball. Start with some pitch shots with the 7i.

Step away from the game...WTF next thing you know you will infering we should work all day friday since I am not golfing...pppfft. sorry not gonna happen. I will just deal with crappy shanks every so often!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I found that shanks happen when you get to handsy with the club, were you try to guid the hands through impact. to fix it, you need to just focus on rotation.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When my irons go funky I let my left arm/wrist be more dominant. I try to exaggerate it. For me kind of pushing the club through the hitting zone with the right arm gets me in trouble.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Note: This thread is 5095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!