IGNORED

I lose too many balls!

alomar123
Note: This thread is 5023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play Pro V1x balls and they are not cheap. I lose so many balls, but not in the woods, but just in some light rough.

I play on a very hilly course and I can never see where my ball lands. I walk down the fairway hoping to see it on their, but I usually miss by a bit and play in the rough a lot. I have pretty good eye sight but I just cant seem to find my ball a lot of the times.

Does this happen to you guys?

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Everything is flat here....but there is a lot of water. Do they keep the rough thick where you play? Maybe you should try the Srixon Z Star X yellow ball? It spins teh same as the ProV1x, but its yellow.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing is worse than losing a ball that you hit just off the fairway!! Wouldn't it be nice sometimes to have spotters like the pro's do!!
The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

Until I can make it through a round without losing a hand full of balls, I'll be using some good condition used balls. Most of them look like they've only been hit a few times, but you can find them for less than $1 per ball (I play the Callaway tour i series).
I lose them because my driver is really inconsistent. They either end up in the water, or across some other insurmountable obstruction. If its in the grass, I'll find it come hell or high water.
In mySasquatch bag:
07 Burner 9.5°
Hibore XLS 3 & 5 woods
735 CM 4-pw
52°, 56°, 60° G2i Craz-e C

I play Pro V1x balls and they are not cheap. I lose so many balls, but not in the woods, but just in some light rough.

No, it doesn't. It used to "back in the day" but now that I play cheapo balls from Walmart, I play the same ball for a couple rounds. Irony or karma - pick your poison.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I play Pro V1x balls and they are not cheap. I lose so many balls...

I'll play premium balls but only if I find them, win them (my league gives away balls for closest to the pin, longest putt and drive, on one hole each when we play), or buy them used. To me they are just too expensive otherwise. I also don't really see much of a difference between premium balls and other quality balls (NXT, Bridgestone's E series, etc.). My game has gotten to the point where I don't loose many balls, but it can still happen at any time, and I just don't see the advantage gained for me to play brand new premium balls out weighing the potential loss to my wallet.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Maybe you go to far when you look for your ball. Try looking 20 yards back from where you are looking. They never go far as you think they go.

Yep...There is a 9 hole course I play where I have lost balls hitting the fairway! The course is lined and holes separated with cottowood trees. The tree shed leaves all year long that litter the fairways. If the ball gets under the leaves then, forget it.

I get used "5A" pro V1 from a friend of mine for $20 per dozen. If I lose a ball there it only hurts half as much. If you want to still hit pro v1 there, I suggest buying used balls as others have stated.

Bag:ogio.gif SULTAN----titleist.gifDriver: 9.5* 909D Comp-----titleist.gif3W: 15* 909F3
titleist.gif5W: 18* 906F2----titleist.gifHybrid: 21* 909H----titleist.gifIrons: AP1's stiff
Wedges:vokey.gif 56*.14 & 60*.10----odyssey.gifPutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
golflogix.gif

Do you watch the shot for as long as you can? I used to have this exact same problem, but it was usually because I wouldn't watch the shot finish. If you really pay attention to the entire shot and then try to find a point of reference to walk to I'm sure you will lose less balls. This is all based on that you can see the ball finish, if your course is really so hilly that you can't see ANY ball finish then get a gps ball you can track ;)

It's also a good idea (if you don't already know) to have a good idea of your yardages and then compare that with how you felt you hit the shot to get a good idea of the distance you should be looking. ex. Driver goes ~250 on a perfect swing, but it was a little thin so look @~210 - 230

Waiting for summer...

Maybe you go to far when you look for your ball. Try looking 20 yards back from where you are looking. They never go far as you think they go.

I wouldn't say that's an absolute, I think it depends on the person.

When I'm looking for my ball, it's usually further up the than I think.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

On the rare occasion (OK, maybe not so rare) that I hit one off the beaten path, I pick a landmark like a tree on the line that my ball was heading and walk directly towards that landmark. It seems to help me.

- Shane

Occasionally happens to my on a few holes at my golf course. It's pretty rare for me though, because the holes aren't really hilly.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

A new pair of shades may help. Callaway and a few other companies make sunglasses that make the ball "pop out" when you're looking for it. I don't remember what it is called, but the lenses are usually yellow.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

I keep used balls for the spring or fall when finding a ball might be too difficult. I have practice balls and the good ones for league or tournaments.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

I started buying AAAA and AAAAA rated used balls because of this. I've had numerous times where I see where the ball lands, walk over there with a playing partner and ball is lost. Not only is losing the ball a pain but damn, the stroke penalty is worse. I frequently play a links-style course that has natural wildlife right off the first cut of rough. Sometimes you can find your ball, sometimes it's gone forever. The only time I play a brand new ball is on courses that I know really well - other than the links course hahaha.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I know how you feel. I usually lose one to two Pro-V's a round and the additional cost hurts. I read the reviews on the new yellow Srixon Z-Star X and decided to give it a try. I was able to play the same balls for thirty three holes...It finally gave out on fifteen today when I pushed it into the water right. The yellow really stands out and the ball plays about the same as the ProV X.

Note: This thread is 5023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!