IGNORED

Impact Tape while playing??

kennay92
Note: This thread is 3632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it illegal to have impact tape on your driver while playing? Im not playing in a tournament or anything, just a weekend round, so it doesnt really matter that much. Its just im playing with somebody ive never met and dont want them to be a stickler on the rules. I wanna compare the impact of the ball on the face during round play and range hitting, to see if my swing is changing at all on the course. Also i think it will help me focus more on getting the center of the face rather then trying to hit it the furthest of the group.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

I have wondered the same thing myself. If anything I would think you would lose performance. But if I had to wager, I would say it probably is illegal. I would compare it to someone giving you advice during the round other than your caddie.
The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

I have wondered the same thing myself. If anything I would think you would lose performance. But if I had to wager, I would say it probably is illegal. I would compare it to someone giving you advice during the round other than your caddie.

not me, when i use impact tape on the range or in a simulator, my hits get better and better. I just know how to get it dialed in if its not on the center with the impact tape. But without impact tape, i dont know where its hitting exactly.

not me, when i use impact tape on the range or in a simulator, my hits get better and better. I just know how to get it dialed in if its not on the center with the impact tape. But without impact tape, i dont know where its hitting exactly.

What I meant is that with some tape between the ball and the club face I would assume that there is very slight loss in performace in the driver. I realize it helps you dial it in. I love using it myself during rounds. But I tend to play a lot of rounds by myself, so I'm not worried about others.

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

I can't imagine a piece of plastic will make a huge difference on the distance, but perhaps the spin, as it will fill up the grooves a bit.

I suppose impact tape is seen as a training aid, so according to the rules, you would not be allowed. But I don't see the problem when playing a practice or social round.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is it illegal to have impact tape on your driver while playing? Im not playing in a tournament or anything, just a weekend round, so it doesnt really matter that much. Its just im playing with somebody ive never met and dont want them to be a stickler on the rules. I wanna compare the impact of the ball on the face during round play and range hitting, to see if my swing is changing at all on the course. Also i think it will help me focus more on getting the center of the face rather then trying to hit it the furthest of the group.

It is against the rules to apply anything to the face of a club which might influence its playing characteristics, which includes anything which would reduce the club's performance (Rule 4-2). It is also against the rules to use a training aid or anything which might assist you in making a stroke (Rule 14-3, Decision 14-3/10). If you aren't in breach of the first then you are definitely in breach of the second.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I can't imagine a piece of plastic will make a huge difference on the distance, but perhaps the spin, as it will fill up the grooves a bit.

i wouldnt be to worried about covering up the grooves sinve there is none lol.. except on the heel and toe. And maybe a yard or two distance loss max id say. I mean when golf shops let you test out drivers they load that head up with the white

masking tape. So i imagine impact tape, which is meant to be put on clubs while hitting gives you any performance loss thats noticeable at all.

• 3 years later...
Sorry to chime in on an old thread, but I hit driver in the vicinity of 200-230 yards depending on the day of the week, lol. I put impact tape on using a launch monitor and was blasting it 260-280. It lowered my spin considerably.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Sorry to chime in on an old thread, but I hit driver in the vicinity of 200-230 yards depending on the day of the week, lol. I put impact tape on using a launch monitor and was blasting it 260-280. It lowered my spin considerably.

Hmmm, maybe the launch monitor wasn't calibrated correctly..? I doubt some tape would add 30 to 50 yards. Were you hitting Your driver, or a demo..?

Hammer4 : my own driver. An Old r1. I also took some swings without tape onbthe driver was getting 210-215. About 3400 rpm with no tape, not know what the rpm with tape on was.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Hammer4 : my own driver. An Old r1. I also took some swings without tape onbthe driver was getting 210-215. About 3400 rpm with no tape, not know what the rpm with tape on was.

Without tape, the spin rate could be much higher, resulting in shorter distance..?

Yeah that's what I mean, the tape lowered my spin, letting me hit a 270 yard drive.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Yeah that's what I mean, the tape lowered my spin, letting me hit a 270 yard drive.

I'm going to try that, I think I can get to 325 since I'm hitting 285 now.. Where do I get this magic tape?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

It was THE GOLF WORKS  impact tape. Im sure its illegal for tournament play.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Easy solution. Get out your sharpie. Put a big round mark on back of ball. After you hit your tee shot you will see the mark on club face. All legal, no questions asked. (The quicker you wipe off the face after hit the easier it is to get it off )

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Easy solution. Get out your sharpie. Put a big round mark on back of ball. After you hit your tee shot you will see the mark on club face. All legal, no questions asked. (The quicker you wipe off the face after hit the easier it is to get it off )

Spray foot powder on the club face prior to the strike.  yes, it's a training aid so the rules apply in that fashion.  But it'll give you the impact location.

(dirty balls are not a training aid, this also works, but it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of it, does it.  Then again, looking at your divot to see your club path seems out of line if that was the case - doubt anyone would call it cheating though.)

Hmmm, maybe the launch monitor wasn't calibrated correctly..? I doubt some tape would add 30 to 50 yards. Were you hitting Your driver, or a demo..?

Did the rep forget to switch it from "sell" mode to "reality" mode?

Bill - 

Hmm.  Besides the Sharpie marker on the ball, what else could we put on the ball to give feedback?  The aerosol foot powder sounds promising.  Just spray the ball before tee-off and check the clubhead face a minute later. A violation?

Don't know about you guys but i can feel pretty good where the ball came on the clubface.

and what went wrong in the swing if i get a bad shot.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 3632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!