IGNORED

Michelle on Ryder Cup Team !

Rafcin
Note: This thread is 6234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Michelle Wie on Ryder Team?

• why not... 5, maybe 6 years from now?
    • top 10 on the tour will be tough. No chance.
    • Teenage dream, nothing else, not worth any attention.
    • C'mon already, people are laughing at you !!!

ok, she wants to play PGA Tour, Masters, that's fine. In a recent interview she says that she wants to be on Ryder Cup team. That means top 10 on Tour. I'm a HUUUUUUGE Michelle fan, but c'mon. Even 17 years old one should have a touch of reality, no?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Teenage dream, nothing else, not worth any attention.

Rafi, snap out of it. You are supposed to support Wie.

Who knows, if we keep losing the Ryder Cup, we may just need to employ the Solheim Cup team to play the event for the men. They are a very fiery group and will be even better with Wie on the team.

are there any rules preventing a women from being on a Ryder Cup team?

I didn't see anything... top 10 on Tour + 2 picks. Doubt anyone would have the cahunas to pick her, so top 10 is the only way...

• Administrator
are there any rules preventing a women from being on a Ryder Cup team?

She has to be a member of the PGA Tour, I believe. I don't think she was even eligible for the Solheim Cup because she wasn't an LPGA Tour member.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

ok, she wants to play PGA Tour, Masters, that's fine. In a recent interview she says that she wants to be on Ryder Cup team. That means top 10 on Tour. I'm a HUUUUUUGE Michelle fan, but c'mon. Even 17 years old one should have a touch of reality, no?

I agree. I mean Puleeeese!? What planet is she on? She needs to get her head out of the clouds and get a grip on reality. The Ryder Cup team?!!? What?

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I agree. I mean Puleeeese!? What planet is she on? She needs to get her head out of the clouds and get a grip on reality. The Ryder Cup team?!!? What?

...shes a kid. I have a teenage daughter who is an exceptional athlete. She says and wants to achieve things that ...maybe...just maybe she will accomplish. When you are 16 and don't have a lifetime of dissapointments, cynsism, or reality to quel your enthusiasim, you think that anything is possible. In her case I wouldn't bet against anything she might say or want to do. But pleeeeeeeaazzzze remember she is a kid in school.

• Administrator
...shes a kid. I have a teenage daughter who is an exceptional athlete. She says and wants to achieve things that ...maybe...just maybe she will accomplish. When you are 16 and don't have a lifetime of dissapointments, cynsism, or reality to quel your enthusiasim, you think that anything is possible. In her case I wouldn't bet against anything she might say or want to do. But pleeeeeeeaazzzze remember she is a kid in school.

The only argument I could make in her favor is the part where Joe Ogilvie said she's better than Tiger was at 16. I think Tiger has a much higher ceiling than Michelle Wie ever has, though, which really puts the kibosh on even that single shred of positive.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Asgood as she is for a 16 year old, she should concentrate her efforts on becoming a full member of the LPGA Tour and getting up the world rankings again.

Once she's proved herself a bit more in that areana - ie gets some wins - then she should have another crack at the men. Maybe even qualify instead of relying on the sponsors??
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

its pretty amazing what she can do at her age. Only time will tell whether its just her maturing a whole lot faster than others, which means she'll reach her plateau a lot quicker.

Or she'll just get even better and better as time goes on. She's 16.. or what 17 right now? I'm going to say 10 years from now we'll really know the story.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

Point taken. But at some point she'll have to face reality. I don't see a Ryder Cup in her future.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I think what annoys me about her press statements is the fact, that they are not be

HER statements. Indeed you're right - she IS a kid, but being a multimilionair she has whole entourage around her. Unfortunately it seems it's an entourage of MORONS! The Media is all over Michelle, instead of the idiots who are supposed to help the kid living the adult life prematurly. This applies not only to her statements, the event selections aren't her either, I'm sure.

there is no doubt Michelle has pissed a lot of people off. Her statement on the Ryder Cup seems to push her inocent kid image. As a father of a teenage princess that has had sucsess in athletics, I probably would have quashed that statement. However.....I respect her game, her attitude, and the fact that she may very well be able to do it some day...who knows. If I were her dad I would advise her to "walk the walk" as I do to my budding star.

Small time dad

I voted for Teenage Dream. There's really nothing more to it than that.

She was asked the question about whether she'd like to play on the Ryder Cup team someday. Naturally, her answer is yes:

"Hopefully I will be able to do it one day, that would be awesome. I think it is totally possible, anything is possible in the future. I think players, both women and men, are getting better and we are getting stronger and are mentally tough and we can do it."

I don't see anything wrong with it. More than likely, never gonna happen. But you know, "dare to dream," and all of that. I've got dreams of working my game into enough shape to try out for the Champions Tour in fifteen years (if it's still around.) Those dreams probably won't ever come to pass. Her dreams just happen to make headlines.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Administrator
Asgood as she is for a 16 year old, she should concentrate her efforts on becoming a full member of the LPGA Tour and getting up the world rankings again.

If she were 18, she'd be a full-time member. It's not something she has to "concentrate" to try to do. Last time I checked, she'd be ranked sixth on the money list this year if she were a member despite playing in only six events (or is she up to seven by now?).

Point being, the only thing that keeps her from BEING an LPGA Tour member is her age. She meets all the other criteria to be granted a tour card. She's not even eligible to play Futures Tour events because she's played so well in LPGA Tour events (particularly majors). Carolyn Bivens should be working her ass off trying to get Michelle Wie a membership. Except Bivens doesn't (seem to) want Michelle Wie around until she's 18. Real smart...
Once she's proved herself a bit more in that areana - ie gets some wins - then she should have another crack at the men. Maybe even qualify instead of relying on the sponsors??

"Here, we want you to come play in our tournament. Have an exemption."

"Nah, I'd rather sit around and not learn this week. Maybe I'll try to shoot 62 to Monday qualify." Riiiight.

Note: This thread is 6234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!