IGNORED

Is a Woman's Swing Different from a Man's Swing?

DSH
Note: This thread is 6440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

An opinion was expressed to me today that I should go to a woman pro for lessons rather than a man because "A woman's swing is different from a man's swing." The person professing this knowledge claimed that a woman naturally uses her hips and legs, where she has more power, rather than her shoulders (as a man does).

I am rather skeptical, but then again, so much of the input I've had from books and friends has come from men.

So -- help me please -- is a woman's swing different from a man's? and should it be?

PS I recently did have a lesson with a man and thought it was quite helpful.

Great question. I see the ladies on the LPGA tour and wish I could swing "like a girl". But the average woman amateur??? The ones I see generally don't have the upper body strength of a man, so I believe they have to make a different swing to compensate for their lack of upper body muscularity.

All that said, I believe a male teacher could do an adequate job of getting the setup, swing and follow-through for any player, male or female. Perhaps a woman would not hit the ball as far, but the basics of the swing should be similar enough for a man to do a credible job of teaching it.

I am intriguied because we have a woman at our club who has a beautiful swing and can drive with any of us guys, yet she doesn't have massive male shoulders. Her swing always looks like the guys to me???

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

• Administrator
So -- help me please -- is a woman's swing different from a man's? and should it be?

No and no. And that's that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, I think that is absurd. The results will be different in terms of distance and spin between most professional men and women golfers but their swings are not different beyond individual peculiarities.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I saw an episode of your game night on tgc last winter, where a women pro addressed some minor differences in setup to compensate for ahem physical differences between women and men. Other than that the teaching pro's tips were pretty mainstream.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

The only thing I've noticed about the womans swing is they are more deliberate. They take the club back slower and seem to concentrate more on making solid contact. We all should take heed on that!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

The only thing I've noticed about the womans swing is they are more deliberate. They take the club back slower and seem to concentrate more on making solid contact. We all should take heed on that!

I used to play occassionally with a lady in her early 60's. She had been playing about 10 years. I learned a lot from her. Her approach to the game was so good. She knew how far she could hit each club, never tried to overswing to get more yardage, played to her strengths and usually kicked my behind. Steady progress towards the hole and a killer short game won out over my bravado and testosterone more times than not.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 6440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!