IGNORED

64 degrees ?

Note: This thread is 4109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently use 3 wedges ... 47, 52 and 58.

To get into the Dave Pelz 3x4 system I am thinking of adding a 4th wedge ... bases on the current gaps .... would be 64 degrees be the right choice, but on the other hand ... does it make any sense adding a 64 XW ?

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

You don't have gaps beyond 58 degrees in wedges. The only reason you would go for a 64 would be if you have superb lob wedge skills and play courses where you are frequently short sided otr have tricky greensided bunkers and frequent evil pin positions where the 58 doesn't give you enough options. It would be extremely unlikely that a 64 degree wedge is waht you are looking for.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You can always test it and see if you like it, but I wouldn't recommend it for the average golfer, simply because the skills needed and the use of the club is pretty limited, 58 to 60 is perfect, and you'll get more use out of a club in that range

I can't think of any situation where you'd need a 64 degree wedge. I don't carry anything higher than a 56*, and today I was horribly short-sided, green sloping away from, but had no problem hitting a little pitch over the trap. Did it roll past the hole? Sure, but I made the 4 foot putt coming back. Golf is hard enough without gimmick clubs like 64* wedges imho.

agree with the others. If you want smaller wedge gaps (i'm assuming your 47 is your PW) you could consider replacing the 58* with a 56* and a 60*

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Id be afraid to even use a 64 degree wedge. I probably hit the ball right into my face.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

For years i had thought having a 64 would help me, so I bought one. I used it for a couple of years.

There's definitely a time to use it and a time to leave it in the bag. Problem is, I wanted to use it ALL (or most) of the time because the shots it produces around the green are SOOO pretty. Unfortunately, skulling chips is also a specialty of this club....lol For me it was 75% good/ 25% skulled over the green, leaving me worse off than I was before hitting the 1st shot with the 64. I switched to a 60 and have had much better results. The 64 now sits in the garage with the driver that added 20 yards to my tee shot, but had me in the woods twice as much...lol

In my bag:
Driver-- PING G2 8.5 deg.
Hybrid-- PING G5 19 deg.
Irons 4-UW-- Ping i20
Wedges Vokey Sand 54, and Lob 60 Putter--:Maxfli: C3 Mallet Putter

Id be afraid to even use a 64 degree wedge. I probably hit the ball right into my face.

I tried one and came very close.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

I have one and love it. I use it as much as any other wedge. The way I hit it, it really doesn't fly that high. From 60 to 70 yards, I'm pretty accurate with it. Pitches that need to land soft, open it up smooth swing. I don't recommend it from the rough if it isn't sitting down, it is easy to go under it and catch it really high on the face. But from the fairway, I don't have any problems with it (more-so than any other club, I hit terrible shots at times (Really who doesn't that is a 10 hnd)).

When it was brand new it was amazing what I could do from 20 or 30 yards. I could hit these little low spinners that had so much spin. Now that it is older I can't spin it the way I could from short distances.

Brian

It's definitely plausible but I put it away before I gave myself more chances to do it. I just never found a need for it enough to warrant a space in my bag. Plus if you are in the rough you have to really analyze your lie because it's nothing to cut right under a flop.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

It's definitely plausible but I put it away before I gave myself more chances to do it. I just never found a need for it enough to warrant a space in my bag. Plus if you are in the rough you have to really analyze your lie because it's nothing to cut right under a flop.

Its not plausible for me...i know for sure id have a black eye using that thing sooner or later...

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Honestly it really doesn't go that high. I'm not sure if it is the super spin or what but from 60 yards it flys like a mini-PW with all kinds of spin. I played a pull draw until this year so I am sure that is one of the reasons I don't hit my wedges really high. But when I can get in its range on a 5 par I'm liking my birdie chances.

Brian

Consider drglew 's idea: Drop the 58*, and replace with a 56* and 60*. Also, consider bounce options for 56*, which probably will be your primary bunker club.

Get Vokeys which will pair up with your current 52*. I'm told the 3x4 system works better with wedges from same family.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK thanks all for saving $135 for a wedge I didn't need.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I know a guy who has one, he's pretty good with it.

Throws the ball up into the air and ball stops dead.
When it was brand new it was amazing what I could do from 20 or 30 yards. I could hit these little low spinners that had so much spin. Now that it is older I can't spin it the way I could from short distances.

he could do that as well.

I wouldn't advise getting one since they're so hard to control but try one out.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

No it doesn't make sense. Open your 58 up and flop it.

In the Bag (right now)...

Cleveland Tour Issue 310UL* - Miyazaki Kusala Blue 83X

Taylormade R9 TP Tour Issue 13* - Diamana Blue 63X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 17* - Matrix Altus 80X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 19* - Matrix Altus 80X

Nike Forged Blades - 4-W - ProjectX 6.5

Nike VR Black V-Rev 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

Taylormade Penta TP3 ball

• 2 years later...
I have a 64* wedge and used it recently while out on a par 3 course.... I'm up in the air I've had it in and out of the bag several times. It's no better or worse than my 3 wood. But I am short sided a lot to the green and a lot of times it's only 10-14 yds. Just got peltz short game bible and with his new method 3x4 I think this could be a valuable club. I hit shots about 58-60 yds full and I can hit a 14 yd shot with 7:30 swing very accurately but since reading about the system peltz explains I'm not sure I really need it ESP. Coupled with a chip and run style game. There are so many diff courses and conditions that I like to have it ESP when I need to get a high shot to stick (over a bunker or bush), I too have skilled shots, but one trip to the range and practice and I am lethal with this club. I wouldn't say it has costed me anymore shots than a bad swing with an iron or 3wood and bottom line is most of your scoring is done with the wedges. Long live the 64*, don't kid yourself with this club though you need to spend time with it just like anything else to become familiar with it and accurate

Note: This thread is 4109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!