IGNORED

Par 3 Courses-Do you play them?

enis750
Note: This thread is 5051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

we have a nice little track here, that is rated a 51.6/80 Par 54
I love to play this course at least twice a month
as of lately, putting has been a rough go for me
A good buddy of mine suggested we hit up Silverwood (par 3) and work on the short game - GREAT idea
i get to golf free at this course as its also a city course, and was included in my membership

went out and shot a 57
i was fairly happy w this, as par 3's are usually tough for me
I didnt hit any super tight, but i hit 14/18 GIR and ZERO 3 putts and 1 10 foot birdie (first one from that distance this year! hahaha! yep, my putting sux! haha)

but it has instilled some confidence over the putter again
i was hitting some 2-6 footers all day, which for me is a drastic improvement
its a way of practicing the short game, without sitting on the range or practice green

i also changed out my stock RIFE Winn grip for a blacked out PING putterman, with 2 wraps of tape
this was key for me, as the stock grip was waay to kushy
i think helped w my distance control, as i was hitting lag putts waay closer

so, do you ever hit your local Par 3 course for some practice and keep you sharp?
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember you also have 9 chances for a hole in one! I had my first hole in one on a par 3 course and ended up shooting par for 9 holes, even with a double on the first hole.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Remember you also have 9 chances for a hole in one! I had my first hole in one on a par 3 course and ended up shooting par for 9 holes, even with a double on the first hole.

our Par 3 is 18 holes...so i actually have 18! hahah!

I lipped out this weekend from 70yds....heart was beating....then i missed the 3 footer!! hahaha!

I find that par-3 courses are better for players with higher handicaps. To play these short courses, you need to know how far you hit with each club. If offers great practice for high-handicappers, and it will improve your game.

Though it is sometimes frustrating that you can't use your driver.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

one of the better 18 hole tracts I've played was a par 3 course. The 18 holer Robert Trent Jones Grand National. First couple of holes were average then the rest of the course "happens".challenging, fun,and great views.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I find that par-3 courses are better for players with higher handicaps. To play these short courses, you need to know how far you hit with each club. If offers great practice for high-handicappers, and it will improve your game.

so low hcper's dont need short game practice?

your stament contradicts itself, and heres why: I would bet that 80-90% of higher hcper's do NOT know distances on their irons and to boot CONSISTENTLY hit to them is it a way to figure this out? you bet........ but i find they might be a way for higher index's to get to know their distances better and for better players, a chance to fire at more pins, rather than middle of greens higher index's might play them more, becaue there is less chance of getting into trouble off the tee (like a big hook or slice into the woods) but i think they are great way's to improve on par 3's in general and practice the short game for all levels of players

I played par 3 courses all the time when I first started playing golf. Another great thing about them is they are usually super cheap, so you can afford to play more often.
I know a lot of golfers who turn up their noses at par 3 courses, but I think theyre great. A course doesnt need to be super long to be fun or difficult.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

so low hcper's dont need short game practice?

True, but the odds are that a lower-handicapper would know their distances of thier clubs better than a higher-handicapper, though that is not the case sometimes.

All in all par 3 are great for everyone.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I normally play 4 to 5 rounds of golf a week. 1 of those rounds is at the local par 3 course.

Il give you the positives:
Short game practice
cheap
putting practice
helps improve par 3s for big rounds
quick round

Negatives:
the par 3 course I play doesnt have a hole longer than 110 so it kinda sucks because right now I only have a pitching wedge and 56 degree. I hit my pitching wedge about 130 and my 56 about 75 yds... I end up having to use half swings and punch out style shots off the tee box. It gets frustrating but is cheap and great practice.

My game is improving so no complaints. Im also teaching my girlfriend the game right now and the course is perfect for her
...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

I play my local par 3 once a week with my father. It's great for him since really he's not the best and it allows him to have fun and not get worn out. Not to mention it's fantastic short game and putting practice. If you have time play two balls and hit each shot differently. Simulate that there's wind or different hole placement.
In my Ogio Bag:
Nike SasQuatch Sumo Lucky 13, UST V2 Regular | Nickent 3DX RC Ironwood 20° Hybrid Regular | Nickent Genex 3DX DC Utility 17° Hybrid Regular | Grand Hawk True Temper 4-PW Regular | Mizuno MP T-Series Ni 56° | 34" Taylormade Classic Monte Carlo 7 Putter | NXT Tour

Fun to play, builds great confidence, makes your 100yard in game better, good exercise, good to play the par 3 courses first of the season. Nothing is wrong with par 3 courses at all they are cheap also =) !!!! There should be Par 5 courses short ones and long ones!!! Par 5s usually crush me becuase you have to hit more good shots to get your PAR. I love 450 yd Par 5s!!!!! lol

I go to the par 3 course in my city every now and then, I would play it more often but there are a few downsides that keep me away. Firstly, it's over the other side of town and I'd rather play a full course if I'm going to bother to make the trip since there's a bunch near the par 3 one. It also has really terrible greens (super slow and covered in pitch marks) that make putting very difficult. The thing that really keeps me away though is the fact that it can get really busy to the point where you can wait for 2-3 groups on each hole - when a round at a par 3 course is getting as long as a round on a full course I'm heading to the full course every time.

Having said all that, it's still a fun little lay out and a great place to take people who aren't golfers so they can still have a bit of fun without getting too frustrated at the difficulty of the game.

does that count, a hole in one on a par 3 course?

I play the local par 3 course once a year, in a local charity tournament. I had to laser the yardages one year, because the signs were as much as 30 yards off. the tees are the same and the greens aren't really big enough to make much of a difference.

anyways... par 3's are great short game practice

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Note: This thread is 5051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!