IGNORED

calories burned walking 18 holes

kevinbomb123
Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While carrying your bag with 14 clubs, how many calories do you burn?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

A study done I read years ago says that walking 18 with and carrying a full bag burns 1,100 calories.

good to know seeing as ive played 108 in 3 days and plan to play 36 more tomorrow

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I remember in Golf Digest last year they said 2,000 if carrying, 1,000 if riding. Both seemed high, but mostly the riding one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1400 sounds awfully high to me. I Googled a bit for a walking calorie calculator and one estimated that a 180 pound person walking 5mph for 5 miles burns about 655 calories ( http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm ). If you play with slower rates, it decreases. Furthermore, from the golflink article, you burn more than this playing from a cart (over 800). Another interesting link is here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...8402-0,00.html . According to this, a typical runner burns about 100 calories per mile. Not sure how a golfer would burn 3 times that (or almost twice it riding the cart!). My guess would be it's more like 300-600 calories from the walking, so maybe 500-1000 tops carrying, and even that's pushing it in my mind.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

This site says in the 700's: http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/bene.../physical.html

It all depends on how fast you walk, how much you weigh and even how many shots you take (making a fairly athletic move involving most of the big muscles in your bosy 70-90 times a round will burn a little). Its good exercise regardless. I lost ~20 lbs last summer walking 18 2-3 times a week and eating like crap.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

You guys underestimate how many calories you burn. Your body burns about 1,500 calories a day just sitting on your ass watching TV. A calorie is a unit of heat, or more specifically, the amount of heat energy it takes to raise one kilogram of water 1° Celsius.

Just being out in the sun burns calories, and walking in the sun burns more, as your body has to expend energy to cool you down. While riding in a cart, you still need to climb up hills to greens and tees, rake bunkers, clean clubs and balls, swing the club, and all sorts of other activities. People often forget just how much physical work is done, even riding in a cart. For the amount of time a round of golf takes, 4 hours or so, burning 1,100-1,400 calories is not at all a stretch. Olympic athletes consume up to, and sometimes more than, 10,000 calories a day while training. So, carrying a 30 lb bag 4 miles and up and down hills is certainly going to burn some major calories.

Agree. And I swear on some days, I walk more when carting it than a walker. Cart path only...push fade, cart path on the left side, damn... walk over, hit second shot, walk back, repeat.

CARBITE Putter

This topic has come up before and that thread had a lot of good info in it, but the search function is currently only returning 5 of the threads I've ever posted in (and I've posted in dozens, so not sure what's up with that) so I can't find it right now.

But the short answer is, around 1000 calories walking. You'll usually walk a *lot* more than the yardage on the card (by a factor of almost 2x), and you walk a *lot* more when riding than you'd think. (There was an article in one of the golf mags recently about that - guy took a pedometer with him and IIRC riding was around 5 mi, walking around 8 mi.)

Bill

This topic has come up before and that thread had a lot of good info in it, but the search function is currently only returning 5 of the threads I've ever posted in (and I've posted in dozens, so not sure what's up with that) so I can't find it right now. But the short answer is you'll usually walk a *lot* more than the yardage on the card (by a factor of almost 2x), and you walk a *lot* more when riding than you'd think. (There was an article in one of the golf mags recently about that - guy took a pedometer with him and riding was around 5 mi, walking around 8 mi.)

Yes, those numbers are even a bit higher than I thought. Add the other physical factors, and you start to climb the calorie count... fast.

Wall Street Journal had short article last year about calories burned while walking 18 holes and carrying own bag. If I recall right, this study estimated calorie burn at about 1,500 for 18.

A co-worker who runs marathons said sustained walking and swinging the club would definitely put you in fatburning mode.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You guys underestimate how many calories you burn. Your body burns about 1,500 calories a day just sitting on your ass watching TV. A calorie is a unit of heat, or more specifically, the amount of heat energy it takes to raise one kilogram of water 1° Celsius.

I agree with this.

Irons: MP 57 with Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts
Driver: Big Bertha 460 (9 degree loft) with UST ProForce 66g V2X Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.14, Spin Milled Black Nickel 60.07, Spin Milled Black Nickel 52.08 (next purchase)
Putter: White Hot XG #6
Ball: TP Red

According to this site, as a 190lb person I burn over 2000 calories walking 18 holes if it takes me 4 hours.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Syncro bag
Superfast Burner 9.5° S driver
G5 4-PW irons
Burner '08 22° 4h
53° wedge 56° wedge iN Li'l Wack-E putter PD Long ballSlowly working on upgrading my old bargain bin clubs.

i usually do feel worn out after 18 walking. It definitly burn calories, im wiping sweat off myself every hole, and most of the time your shirt get soaked from sweat. My question is why are there so many players who look fat or have bellies on tour?

i usually do feel worn out after 18 walking. It definitly burn calories, im wiping sweat off myself every hole, and most of the time your shirt get soaked from sweat. My question is why are there so many players who look fat or have bellies on tour?

Fatness and fitness aren't always related. Plus, they don't carry their own bags, or rake bunkers, replace divots, or many other things that burn a few extra calories.

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!