IGNORED

Cheating friends

JML22
Note:Β This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hey what do you guys do about cheating friends?
We do alot of combined score 2v2s and a there are always people who lie about scores
ya its a friendly match but we usually have some sort of bet / bragging rights on the line
I mean some i dont mind letting slide but when you hit like 2 white stakes off the tee and you call it a bogey i dunno if i should be an ass about it or call him on it.
Its just annoying when we have like "the next round of golf" on the line and someone is obviously not calling there strokes

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Hey what do you guys do about cheating friends?

We call them out on it - it makes them more aware the next time that we play that we keep real scores.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I figure you either stop playing with them, start calling them on it, or stop worrying about it.
  • Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I figure you either stop playing with them, start calling them on it, or stop worrying about it.

or find new friends all together. Someone who has to cheat on a golf course isn't someone I want to associate myself with in the first place.

• Upvote 1

If the game is for money, you should definitely call them on it. I'm not letting someone take money out of my pocket by turning in a score they don't deserve.

I don't like losing..... and I really don't like losing to people who don't post proper scores.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Its like he expects to get free drops all the time and stuff
But i mean if you take a mulligan when you hit a white stake thats 2 strokes right there
I dont mind but how can you expect to get better when you hit 7 off the tee and dont post it that way

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

meh, its whatever
the guys i play regularily with are pretty good
we play for fun, I dont call them on some stuff, cause i dont want to be an a$$

tourney's or for money is of course another story
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I hear what you are saying and can feel your pain.....in my experience, you either have to make a decision to let it go or call them on it.......I generally have just decided to let it go (we don't really play for much money, if any at all).

We play a lot of "winter" rules up in my area, so wehn May comes and we switch over to "play it down," it is always an adventure.....One of my friends has a pattern of picking up his ball out of the rough to "identify" that it is in fact his ball....and everytime he replaces the ball, he comes up with a wonderful lie.......my ultimate feeling is that everyone needs to play their own game, and I am happy with the game I play.....I get my revenge the once or twice a year when we play in a tournament and he blows up because he is not used to playing from poor lies.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"Β  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Losers buy the next round,
Bad scores due to not knowing the rules buy the next round plus a burger and soda at the 19th hole,
Cheaters pay triple, plus a dozen balls, plus dinner at their opponents choice.

Basically golf should be a game of honor, I'd either drop the wagering if they have to cheat to win, or change the game to eliminate the score keeping (closest to the hole on par-3's, or longest drive in the fairway on par-5's where everyone can see).

Taylormade M2Β driverΒ @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3woodΒ 16*,Β 
TMΒ M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TMΒ RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

It's just stupid though, he just started taking golf seriously this year and he spazzes out when he breaks 90
Not a consistent ball stirker at all so he'll shank,duff,fat,thin it and say bogey and my eyebrow raises like did i miss something did you just dunk your approach shot or something.
I dont mind giving him double par to pickup or something but when you call a double par a par or a bogey its retarded
no way he has broken 90 legitimately.
I break 90 consistently but things could EASILY go south and i can shoot low 90s and i find myself a consistent enough ball striker

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I don't like losing..... and I really don't like losing to people who don't post proper scores.

When I play for fun with nothing on the line, it's me against the course and I'm out to play the best that I can play. If someone else beats me because they cheated they'll have to live with that.

What I do is always keep the score. After a hole when I ask everyone for their scores and someone says they got a 5 when I remember them hitting one OB off the tee then screwing around in the trees for a shot or two, I just read back the hole to them... "Well, you hit your first shot OB, then you duffed it in the woods, then three putted once you got on...". I find once people know that you really want to keep score they become more honest. Also, a lot of the time people don't know the actual rules with taking drops/hitting it OB and such. I've come across this a few times and a lot of people don't really consider it cheating, it's just that most people play casually and aren't used to keeping such "strict" scores, at least strict in their minds.

Also, a lot of the time people don't know the actual rules with taking drops/hitting it OB and such. I've come across this a few times and a lot of people don't really consider it cheating, it's just that most people play casually and aren't used to keeping such "strict" scores, at least strict in their minds.

This came up the other day. I was playing with a couple of guys and got congratulated on a par after hitting 3 from the tee after low duck hooking one in the water on a par 4. My score was actually double bogey. I just politely thanked them, but it was really a double bogey since I hit my first in the water, I also threw in something about not taking mulligans. The guy gave me a funny look and said "oh yeah". I know that most people just retee and forget about the first ball and think nothing of it.

well he just said he shot an 85 on a course that is very very difficult, DOnt believe him for a second.
Me and some other buddies said next time we play for bragging rights or money we're calling him on everything.
Who shoots mid 80s in their like first year of golf and has never had lessons?
1/billion?

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Sounds like he has a self image issue. He seems like he is lying about his scores to "fit-in" with the guys. I know my little brother shoots 95+ but likes to say he shoots mid 80's when I take him out, just to compete with me. I say what the hell, if nothing big is going on, let him have that. Now if we are betting money with friends, I always call things, like one mulligan per nine holes and stuff such as that, I always pull the BS flag.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

Yeah its just impossible he shot an 85 on that course
a physical impossibility
We're gonna rip him apart next time he golfs with us

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Yeah its just impossible he shot an 85 on that course

Am I sensing sarcasm, or a premeditated threat of bodily injury to the other player?

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

Note:Β This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!