IGNORED

Scores getting worse after lessons

Note: This thread is 3683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After years of playing I decided to take lessons. I am striking the ball better than I ever have, and my driving has improved 100%. I have always faded or sliced and now am hitting a slight draw, and have picked up 10-15 yds with each club. The problem is my scores are going up. I am flying alot of greens and missing alot to the left. Used to miss right and I am still aiming a little left out of habit, and with the slight draw, I am way left on alot of greens. I feel like I am playing alot better than my scores are showing. What is the learning curve here? How long does it take to get used to the yardages and ball flight? Just getting flustered with my scores since I know I am hitting it better. Thanks for any info.

After years of playing I decided to take lessons. I am striking the ball better than I ever have, and my driving has improved 100%. I have always faded or sliced and now am hitting a slight draw, and have picked up 10-15 yds with each club. The problem is my scores are going up. I am flying alot of greens and missing alot to the left. Used to miss right and I am still aiming a little left out of habit, and with the slight draw, I am way left on alot of greens. I feel like I am playing alot better than my scores are showing. What is the learning curve here? How long does it take to get used to the yardages and ball flight? Just getting flustered with my scores since I know I am hitting it better. Thanks for any info.

I'm going through a bit of the same thing myself. Had a hard time adjusting first and now having to re-learn my distances. I think you'll adjust to that fairly quickly. I'm sarting to get the hang of it but its been a few very frustrating weeks. My guess is a will have a pretty goof comfort with my yardages and ball flight within another week or 2. maybe less if I can get in a few weeknight rounds... So 30 days total for me but haven't been on the course a ton over the last month and don't trust the range ball distances for yardage since the remind me of hitting rocks half the time....

I think this must happen to everyone after a lesson. I've spent what seems like 100,000,000 over the past few months. I was going a little left with my irons but I was also way long with them.. With a camera I found out that my clubface was closed at impact because of my hands being so far ahead of my club head at impact! So
I looked at my grip at address what I found was I had a very strong grip because of my tendency to go right so I got a more neutral grip now I'm just long but realitivley strait....
I

After years of playing I decided to take lessons. I am striking the ball better than I ever have, and my driving has improved 100%. I have always faded or sliced and now am hitting a slight draw, and have picked up 10-15 yds with each club. The problem is my scores are going up. I am flying alot of greens and missing alot to the left.

You have to work on your alignment. If you're still taking lessons, have your instructor go over it with you. Until you get your alignment taken care of, everything else (about missing left) is going to be moot. As far as distances are concerned, go to a driving range and find a flag that is 150 yards out. Hit about 10 ball with each your 9i, 8i and 7i to see which club allows you to land near the flag the most. Depending on which club you consistently land your shots on the green near the flag, then rate your other clubs in increments of 10 yards based on that club.

For instance, if your 8i is 150, then your 7i will be 160, your 6i will be 170, etc. If your 7i is 150, then your 6i will be 160 and so on. Please note that the 10 yard difference is just a rough guideline.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I can't remember who said it but someone said something along the line of "If you make a swing change and you don't hit the ball poorly or play poorly then you haven't made a swing change".

Don't get discouraged, you're going to hit the ball worse after a lesson. Just enjoy the fixes that you've made, when they actually work :)

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. It's weird to be so used to aiming and missing right all the time to going to the opposite side of the fairway/green. I'd say aim center of green or in between the flag and the side with the least amount of trouble till you get more used to your new shot pattern.

If I had to guess (which of course I do without seeing your swing), I'd gamble that you are still using some cheats/adjustments that you had in your set up that you used on your old swing (which you were likely implementing to compensate for your swing). If you are hitting left make sure your grip isn't too strong, that you are not closing the club face at set up, and that you are not aimed down that line.

If you have improved your swing and eliminated the need for some set up tweeks make sure you modify your game as such so your not introducing problems at address.

ffempt,

You are halfway between your old swing and your new swing (I've been there). It will take a you awhile to really engrain the new swing - like most of the season.

You are unlearning a self-taught swing, and learning what appears to be a more systematic approach to the game.

Also, it may take awhile for your eyes to adjust to the new alignment. If you hare hitting the ball more solidly, you may fly greens for a few rounds before you become confident in your new power.

Also, once you get comfortable with your new swing, you will have to fine-tune parts of it to keep improving. Take notes on what you do in your rounds, look for patterns.

Also, play your way through this. Don't get distracted; keep working on it, or you'll end up with the never-never swing - the worst of old and new.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It happens...

I am making a change in my balance, that has taken a few strokes of my game because its weird swinging with a different balance feel.

I also try to change how my hands come through impact, which has led to wild shots all over the place, but i am waiting for that moment when it all clicks together, then watch out.

Keep at it, i remember reading that it takes about a year to see nearly 100% results of swing changes

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said, I am striking the ball better than ever. I think alot of what I am doing is just out of habit. Aiming left to compensate for the fade that is not there now, and not thinking about yardages, just hitting the club I am used to hitting from that distance. For anyone that has gone through this, how long does it take to get used to the new yardages and ball flight. I know I am probably a little impatient about it, but after seeing how much improvement I have made on the range, I guess I am expecting that same improvement on the course and its not there yet.

I would try and take the time to go out and get a better sense of your new distances, either with a rangefinder at the range or on a hole at the course before or after play.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 3 years later...

I was shooting upper 70's to low 80's on my home course and striking the ball well but i wanted to tighten my game up a bit so i took a lesson, the teacher said i moved my hips too far forward (towards the target) and that my hands were too far back when i hit the ball so i stopped moving my hips so far forward and am trying to create some lag so my hands are infront of the club at impact but it just feels weird and ive started slicing the ball. i previously hit it straight or a slight draw so this slicing is really getting on my nerves, would it be a good idea to just go back to my old swing or should i keep trying to work on what he said?

I was shooting upper 70's to low 80's on my home course and striking the ball well but i wanted to tighten my game up a bit so i took a lesson, the teacher said i moved my hips too far forward (towards the target) and that my hands were too far back when i hit the ball so i stopped moving my hips so far forward and am trying to create some lag so my hands are infront of the club at impact but it just feels weird and ive started slicing the ball. i previously hit it straight or a slight draw so this slicing is really getting on my nerves, would it be a good idea to just go back to my old swing or should i keep trying to work on what he said?

Obviously you wanted to improve your game, thus you took lessons. One question:  How much time have you spent trying to incorporate the items your instructor suggested? The reason I ask is that you probably were expecting that you would immediately start hitting it like Adam Scott, and that has not turned out to be the case.

This is just a guess, but you probably relied on an early release (flip) to square the clubhead in your old swing. And you were quite successful, up to a point, since you state you are a 7 cap. Now, by concentrating on lag and bringing your hands through before the clubhead, you are leaving the face open a bit, causing your slice. It takes time to ingrain the new feeling of a correct swing with a forward shaft lean at impact.

I have had the same issue. It has been 3 months since my last lesson, and many, many hours on the range. I am seeing the positive results now; it was not immediate. But I knew it was the right thing, and I did not question my instructor's advice. If you are in doubt, I would suggest you go back to your instructor and express those doubts. Maybe he can explain in better detail why his suggestions will work for you.

The old saying "The good is the enemy of the great" holds true here. Returning to your old swing will allow you to continue to be "good" but you will never be "great".

First of all, this is a good problem. :) It will take a few rounds minimum. Just enjoy yourself and you'll adjust eventually. If I fly the green I never get upset unless there's a hazard, OB or something else that is bad back there. Don't be mad at yourself for hitting a shot too good.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said, I am striking the ball better than ever. I think alot of what I am doing is just out of habit. Aiming left to compensate for the fade that is not there now, and not thinking about yardages, just hitting the club I am used to hitting from that distance. For anyone that has gone through this, how long does it take to get used to the new yardages and ball flight. I know I am probably a little impatient about it, but after seeing how much improvement I have made on the range, I guess I am expecting that same improvement on the course and its not there yet.

it all depends on how much time you put into practice. go to the range and start paying attention to how much the ball draws with each shot. practice as if you where out on the course playing a round. pick your target go through your routine set up play your shot. go through your hole bag, take notice of the ball movement and when your out on the course you'll start to see your scores coming down again. might take 500 to 1000 balls on the range before before you start to trust your new swing. ball flight.and distance

I m going thru swing change  and my score goes up too.

From mid 70s to low  high 70s and low 80s.

I want to improve and leaverage my my lag furhter , and also change my shots from fade to straight.

Recently, i went to see a TPI Golf Coach , and i learned that i have some physical limitation in my swing .

He gave me some workout program to improve my flexibility and mobility .

I m currently working on it and it does show some improvement.

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Note: This thread is 3683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!