IGNORED

How many clubs do you use for chipping

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 5040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How many clubs do you use for chipping

• ONE for all distances
    • Multitude of clubs, depending on distance

Having abetter luck now that I just use my 8 iron for almost all shots where there is nothing to carry ( bunker, green side hump etc ) but want to see what most people out there use

It totally depends on the ratio "distance from ball to green / distance from border of green to pin". As a rule of thumb (without slope or roll correction) I use : PW for 50/50, SW(56°) for 75/25 and 9i for 25/75. And then a multitude of variations depending on slope and roll or how low the ball has to stay to avoid branches. I think I regularly use any club between SW and 7i, and sometimes go up to 6i or even 5i.

I prefer adapting my club to adapting the length of my back- and downswing. I find it easier to always repeat the same swing with different clubs than different swings with the same clubs.

Gilles

In my ⬠49.95 bag :

Driver : Euhm... not there yet, but hopefully getting closer
Woods : Superfast Burner 3 Wood 15°
i4-PW : CG GoldGW : 252.08SW : CG12 56°Putter : Rossa Suzuka 35"Balls : Gold FX Long

I use 3 clubs around the green for chipping: SW, PW and 8i. Occasionally if I have a very short chip or downhill, I'll use a LW as well.

I find that practicing with these 3 clubs exclusively I can judge the roll ratios properly for different situations (uphill, downhill and sidehill).

I visualize the ball flight, then pick a club accordingly. Some days I use only 1 or two clubs, some days more. It depends on the day, the course, and which clubs I'm carrying.

More likely to chip with a variety of clubs when using my old Hogan Apex PCs. I can almost will the ball close to the hole using those things - very nice around the greens. My Mizunos are little hotter off the face and if I haven't had a chance to practice pre-round, I'll stick to the wedges.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'll use just about any club in my bag depending on distance, lie, terrain, etc. Generally I use anything from my 9-iron to my 60' but, in some situations, I've been known to pull out a 3-iron or even 3-wood to get the job done.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

I tend to "bump and run" chip with my 8 iron and short, off the fringe chipping with my PW.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

i use just two. My PW when I want to roll the ball, and my SW when I want it to not roll as much. I carry a 60, but I am not really sure why, I generally use my 56 for pretty much everything I would use the 60 for.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I used to be about 90% SW. Now I have gotten more comfortable with the LW for certain shots I use it quite a bit too. Now it is probably more around 60/40 SW to LW. Those are the only two clubs I use around the green though.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

All of them except driver and 3 wood. It really all depends on how long i want the ball to stay in the air, my lie, and how far i got to my target. The less time the ball spends in the air, then better. Say i have a 30 foot chip; ill probably use a 7 or 8i. Uphill, i might even go as low as a 5i. But if ive short sided myself i might use my 58 degree to chip.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I said multiple clubs, but really I use PW maybe 2/3 of the time, SW maybe 1/2 of whats left and the rest between 9I and LW. SW when I need extra spin or down hill or grain, 9I a long bump and run to a large flat green, LW really short chips where grass is not real heavy.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Having abetter luck now that I just use my 8 iron for almost all shots where there is nothing to carry ( bunker, green side hump etc ) but want to see what most people out there use

PW & LW. I run everything towards the hole with my pw that i can. If i don't have alot of room to work with, downhill lie, etc i pull out my lw. I'm equally comfy with either. If i was a long ways out somewhere that required something lower i'm sure i could use my 8 or 6.

I used to just use my lw, but it was too inconsistant. I left a lot of balls short or in akward putting spots.

1- my 60* LW.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I primarily use either my LW or 9 iron. LW if I have something to go over (hill, bunker, water, etc.), and my 9 iron for most other shots with the intent of landing the ball on or near the green and running to the hole.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

I almost always use my 6 Iron and do a Bump and run. As long as I don't have any hazards or bunkers from me to the green. I can control a 6 a lot more with a bump and roll, than risk skulling, or chunking a flop shot....

I use a 9iron to my pitching wedge, and everything in between. I also have bump and rolled a few with a 3-5 iron.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

I use the 8 iron whenever I can. Basically when there's less than a few yards of grass/fringe to carry before the green,or when I'm using that grass to bump and run.

Beyond that I use the 52* most often because I'm just more comfortable with it than my 58*. I really have no other reason. Feel is everything around the greens and I the loft/bounce combination of that club just feels perfect on those shots.

The 58* is when I'm in deeper rough that i need to cut through, or if I absolutely have to try and flop the ball. But it's more of a 30-60 yard club, when I'm making enough spin to count on it stopping. She doesn't come out much right around the greens.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

I chip with multiple clubs, most my 58 and 50. I am just not that good at controlling distances with the bump and run. I seem to be able to better judge a 30 yard pitch with my 58 and landing it halfway there than hitting a PW and flying it 1/4 way there. It also depends on the lie. A good lie, I will play a less lofted club.

Brian

I chose multitude, although it is really just 3 clubs, and it depends on lots more than just distance. Lie and carry required to reach the green, as well as carry over any obstacles has as much to do with it as overall distance. I use my SW, GW, and PW for 99% of my chips and pitches, with the preference going to the PW.

I chip with multiple clubs, most my 58 and 50. I am just not that good at controlling distances with the bump and run. I seem to be able to better judge a 30 yard pitch with my 58 and landing it halfway there than hitting a PW and flying it 1/4 way there. It also depends on the lie. A good lie, I will play a less lofted club.

If I carry my SW halfway to the hole on a 30 yard pitch, it will never reach the hole. It's going to check up in about 5 feet.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!