IGNORED

Why'd you choose the clubs you play?

Note: This thread is 4507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It struck me the other day on whether there is an "added advantage" of playing one set of clubs over the others. I know the big retailers throw out terms like highest MOI, furthest distance, most forgiving, etc etc etc. But is there really that big of a difference between 3 woods, irons (yes, i know there are different sets like players irons, game improvement, etc), drivers (again, differences in movable weight, adjustable face, etc).

So my question is pretty simple...why are you playing the set of clubs youre playing? Im interested to see the answers. Where you influenced by an endorsement? Was it a steal of the century? Are they hand me downs? Did you buy them because of looks? I'm just interested to hear the differences...

For me, it was combination of looks and feel. My irons felt the cleanest when I hit them, but I love they way they looked...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found my irons (ping i3's) for $140, plus they gave me the callaway X 5wd too. So, I would say I bought them because of the deal I got.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Loved the look of the FP's
Struck them better than anything I hit before.

Got a good deal for the driver.
3w,5w,3i and 4i are my dad's
I always wanted vokeys so I bought them.
Tried a load of putters and the YES! one was the best.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

For me, it was combination of looks and feel. My irons felt the cleanest when I hit them, but I love they way they looked...

Every club I play was chosen after painstakingly following the scientific method of research and trial and error.

- Iron set: picked up the MP-11s second hand in ~ 1994. I'd seen guys like Faldo and Mize win majors with them and they were $100 at All Sports Replay (they were probably stolen). - The Mizuno Pro wedges were the same line as the irons (purchased in 1995). - the Odyssey putter was a going away present from a previous employer 10 years ago - the Fybrid was recommended by a girl at the local discount golf shop - pleasantly surprised - the Cleveland 3-wood was narrowed down from several in the shop and the trackman data said it was the one. Plus, I trusted the brand - the G10 Driver was a golf shop / pro recommendation. It felt good, the data was good, and I didn't see the heinous headcover until I'd already paid Based on how long I've had the irons, I'll replace this setup as it breaks.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

iron set - extensively demo'ed until i found one that felt, looked, hit great. combination of forgiving and workability.

wedges - my old 588's were all rusted so i went in and found another cleveland. in retrospect, i would've saved a bit of money if i hadn't gotten the cg15 and just went with the cg12.

putter - $250 miznuno bettinardi bc1 for $99??? took a chance and bought it. turns out i love it.

hybrid - got a great deal on it. was never a fan of hybrids and gave it a try. staying in my bag.

woods - the taylormade i got a great deal on it so i actually bought it without hitting. not my favorite but gets the job done. titleist i bought because after hitting several 3 woods, i felt it had the trajectory i liked.

driver - good deal + good driver in general.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Internet said they were good.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good thread. I ended buying my irons as a replacement set of the exact same model that were worn out. After playing with my dads set of clubs for a couple years, I wanted to get my own set of blades so I started asking around what the best were. I REALLY wanted a set of Hogan Apex irons, but ended up buying a used set of MP-33's from the pro where I played. Used those for a couple years and I really liked them so I just decided to buy a brand new set.

Driver, another pro recommended I try it so I played a round with it, loved it, and bought one right after the round. Putter I've had for the longest of all my clubs. Tried it on the putting green and loved the sight lines on it and the feedback I was getting. I've bought several new putters after it to try and see if I like others better, but have always come back to this one for the simple fact I don't have to think about my stroke as much as the others for the ball to go in the hole. Wedges I think I got suckered into cause the name, but hey, can you really go wrong with Vokey's?

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

i demoed several irons. At first I got the x-22 irons, played a few rounds and thought they were just "ok", didnt like the short irons much. Went to a Titleist demo a week after I bought them and they handed me the titleist ap2 and ap1. They looked great over the ball and I was hitted the ap2's solid. I sent back my x-22's that same day for a full refund. I then tried out a mizuno iron that is most like the ap2, the mp58. I was hitting both pretty good but I liked the titleist ap2 better.

Price, forgiveness, good reviews, good look at address

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I tend to play a set of clubs for a fairly long time.

From 1994 until spring 2009, I played a set of Eye-2 clone irons from Pro Tour (no longer in business due to lawsuit by Ping).
Played Pro Tour woods until 2000, then switched to an Air Zevo driver (larger head), and Tour Edge Bazooka 3W and 5W from 2002 until 2008.

My big decision in 2008 was to go from stiff to regular shafts - having trouble with distance loss, esp. in woods; swing tempo gone due to pressing for distance.

When getting driver, I researched the technical specs and marketing mumbo-jumbo, and decided on current driver as starting point. I hit it in driver fitting along with comparable Ping and Cleveland drivers. On launch monitor, Hyper-X Tour was about even with Cle HiBore Gold on stats, but it felt better and was easier to set up.

X-Tour 3W followed next, and it just worked noticeably better than others I tried. Both driver and 3W had E360 R shaft with midkickpoint. Non-Tour equivalents had lowkick shafts that got the ball up too high. Got Slazenger 5W on clearance; one of few low-end fairway woods with midkick shaft.

The irons were a challenge, mainly because so many excellent models have come out since 2006. I thought I wanted Ping I10s, but they didn't seem to have much feel. Also hit first-generation Titleist AP1s and AP2s. Really liked AP2s but to get custom regular shaft I needed would have put price tag at $1,200.

I then hit Callaways, standard and Tour models for X20 and X22. Liked the feel of the two Tour models, but I opted for more forgiveness due to switchout to regular. Standard X22 hit ball about 2 yds. longer than X20; BUT, was able to get a slightly used X20 set for $400 ($300 less than X22).

Uniflex shaft is OK, and it does have a mid kickpoint so the ball doesn't balloon on short irons.

XForged and CG14: decided to go with upscale, smaller headed wedges and practice a lot. It is paying off.

Ping Pal only club left over from old mix. And, it got tweaked quite a bit in a putter fitting last year.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Driver - Callaway Diablo Edge - Demoed one for 18 holes and I loved the feel. Bought one immediately after finishing the round. I'm driving the ball better now than I have in years.

Hybrids - Bridgestone J36 - liked them, got a good deal on them through the pro shop where I work.

Irons - Titleist AP-2 - I was surprised that I liked them when I tried them out. I didn't think I had enough game at the time for a "players" cavity, but the feel was great so I bought them... no regrets. Best irons I've had in many years.

Wedges Titleist Vokey 54° and 56° - Tried several, liked these best.

Putter - Golfsmith Enterprise - 4 years ago I developed the yips... serious case. A friend loaned his putter to me for 9 holes. 5 one putts in those 9 holes hooked me and he built me one exactly like his... I'll kill anyone who tries to separate me from this putter.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Irons-good deal. Allow me to hit the ball on the trajectory i'd been looking for. High & far. Wedges came with them. Rockbottomgolf 160$ + shipping. I wanted to change to something a little more slim to be cool, but i've come to realize when i'm staring down a green with a 6i in my hand & everyone else is hitting 4h & 3h, i've got the right sticks.
Wedges-haven't found the right ones yet. My set wedges work pretty good so why change. When i spring for new ones i'm getting fitted.
3 wood-fluke find. Picked it up off another forum & suprsingly hit the snot out of it. Sold it once on ebay & had the buyer return it because the head was 'cracked.' 4 years later & i'm still crushing it. We're meant to be together.
5wd-playability & i got it for free. It's a vsteel out of the 'lost club bin' at work that had been there since last august. I cannot believe how many high end wedges & irons we donate to the local thrift store. Personally if i leave an iron behind that will cost me 140$ to replace i'm going back to find it. One guy who must have been chipping left his 8,9 & pw. Dumbass.
putter-price. 20 bucks was hard to beat. I sink as many putts with it as i have with other oem offerings. I'd rather muff a sportchek putter than a scotty.

Driver-distance & accuracy. Also asthetics. & i can hit balls over doglegs. That's a big plus.

I got fitted for all my gear! I did it myself at my home club with there Titelist fitting thing and I also used there launch mointer to see what works best!
For my putter it was made for me not long ago and I love it

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Driver- found it used for $99 and figured what the heck as I needed a new driver. Not really that fond of it but I don't hit driver that much so haven't bothered finding something else.

3 utility wood and 3 hybrid- Cheap! Last year there were some great deals on Nickent gear and I scored both of these clubs for under $100 total I believe. Turns out I love them too and they just feel right to me. Very happy with both of these clubs and glad to have them in the bag.

Irons- Had some Ping G5s that I liked ok but the offset bugged me for some reason. I really wanted something forgiving but with less offset. Shop had a set of Mizuno MX-200s used in regular shaft and I bought them with a 30 day return policy. Played with them for a week or so and decided I absolutely loved the clubs but needed stiff shafts. Returned the used clubs for credit and traded in my G5s and walked out with a brand new set in stiff shaft. Love the feel of the clubs and love the look too (at least after removing the blue decals....now they are so clean and simple). Also...I like forged irons...I like the idea behind them and I admit it may not make much if any real world difference but I swear they feel softer and even if it is just in my head I'm ok with that because to me they still feel better :)

Wedges- I went to Vokey because of the name at the start. Then I decided to try a Mizuno because I thought maybe I would prefer a forged wedge. Turns out I just like the Vokey feel better. Heavier head and shorter shaft than the Mizuno....the Vokey just felt like how a wedge should feel to me. So I stuck with them.

Putter- Well, there is the name of course but I also like the look and feel. My brother has always played Scotty putters and I've always wanted one. I went to the golf shop to pick up a new putter and tried to go in with an open mind but my eye just kept going to the Scotties. I did play with everything they had pretty much and in the end, this is what felt the best to me. Expensive, sure...but my last putter stayed in the bag for 10 years so I figure it's worth the investment if I'm going to live with it for that long. Someday wouldn't mind trying a Byron Morgan but for now I'm content with my Cameron.

Driver- titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* 
Fairway Wood- titleist.gif 909F2 15.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff
Hybrid- titleist.gif 909H 19* 
Irons- mizuno.gifMX-200 4-PW, vokey.gifSM 50.8 bent to 51*, SM 56.11, and TVD 60*M
Putter- cameron.gif Newport 2.5 

Irons: In 2005 I was playing some hand-me-down Cobra clones; through a contact at a golf shop I got a line on some TM Rac LTs that were rental clubs at Banff Springs for 1/2 price. Most of the clubs had not been hit and the ones that were had maybe a round or two.
With the driver, I had an old Big Bertha that was working fine, but I hit my dad's TM Burner (2007) at the range and bought one the next day (including the matching 3 wood and 3h)
I was using a hand-me-down Ping putter, but after a putting lesson the pro suggested I use a mallet with alignment aids, so I ended up selecting a Ping Craz-E because it had the best feel to it.

In my SQ Tour bag:
10.5 Degree Burner 2007
Burner 2007 3 wood
19 Degree Burner 2008 Hybrid
Rac LT 2005 Irons Craz-e IWI 2009 mallet

iron set - They were bought about 10-11 years ago and I do not now remember how I chose them; I still use the 6-PW of that Wilson ProStaff OS set, but have replaced the longer irons with Adams Tight Lies fairway metal woods.

wedges - Used a cheap SW from Wal-Mart for some years, but only recently realized that it (with its graphite shaft) was hindering my scoring; tried out several steel shafted SW's at Golfsmith and settled on feel and look of the Cleveland CG14. I like it a lot better, but it has taken some getting used to.

putter - I had a face-balanced steel face putter for many years and was just playing around with putters at Academy one day and liked a soft insert Rossa Daytona; it has made a positive improvement for me.

woods - I use Adams Tight Lie metal woods from circa mid-'90's vintage: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11. I had used the 3 & 7 for some years and decided to 'standardize' on that type of club head by buying the 5, 9, & 11 from an eBay seller; the 9 & 11 work more consistently for me than my old 4I and 5I.

driver - prior to last year (2009) I had used only cheapie drivers from Academy; I decided to upgrade the quality and researched, then bought a nice driver from Pinemeadow - their Command BK; so far this has worked great for me and opened me to choosing setup, stance, and swings that are more consistent and in the fairway.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

i think we would all be kidding ourselves if we didnt pick the clubs we play b/c of their esthetics to some point

for me, first esthetics then performance
now dont get me wrong, i wont play it casue it looks cool and cant hit it worth a sh*t
its gotta look good to me AND play well - this is a happy medium to find
i wont play something that isnt appealing to me first

i have lots of stories behind my gear - but most of you know it by know! haha! ;)
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note: This thread is 4507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!