IGNORED

Top Flite Gamer V2=Major bag of suck

Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I LOWERED my handicap substantially by going with the GamerV2.  I was "sold" on Pro Vs and other top shelf balls.  Unfortunately, I spun out left and right...not by a lot...but enough to stay in trouble.  When the GamerV1 came out, I loved the reduced side spin.  I stayed in the fairways and was able to drastically improve my scores.  I totally agree that the V1 tore up too quickly and I welcomed the V2 with open arms.  My handicap dropped to a 9...it was time to go back to the "big boys" such as ProVs, etc.  How wrong I was.  I was missing fairways and getting more OBs than I could stomach.  I went back to a 11+ handicap in the blink of an eye.  My path was clear...back to the V2s.  I now have a 7.5, playing normally from the tips, and I will hit 50 y/o this year.  I have learned to take my medicine with not backing up a ball, but to tell the truth...I was NEVER a great backer-up of the ball.  I simply stop it.  Without solid instruction to fix whatever ails my swing, the V2 is my next best thing.  BTW, just bought the Gamer Tour...will check them out next week if this blizzard stops.

Gamer v2 are great and I suspect that the tours with that urethane cover will make your handicap go down a few strokes with the added wedge spin and feel. I use the v2's to this day and also the NXT but as price goes..... there is nothing better

Driver:  905R 9.5* Project X 6.0

3 Wood:  910FD 15* Project X 8C4

Hybrid:  Vr Pro 21* 3H Project X HD2

Irons:  775 CB 4-G Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges:  MP T-10 56/8, 60/5

Putter:  Anser 2

Ball:  Gamer V2 or  NXT

Originally Posted by shortgame

Gamer v2 are great and I suspect that the tours with that urethane cover will make your handicap go down a few strokes with the added wedge spin and feel. I use the v2's to this day and also the NXT but as price goes..... there is nothing better

This may sound weird when comparing a Top Flite v. a Titleist ball, but I truly preferred the feel and sound of the V2 over the NXT.  It spawned confidence.

Originally Posted by Armygolfer4life

Quote:

This may sound weird when comparing a Top Flite v. a Titleist ball, but I truly preferred the feel and sound of the V2 over the NXT.  It spawned confidence.

Agreed! Nxt and the V2 are very comparable but I like to hit the ball straight and long and the wedge spin is similar to the nxt if hit right. V2 is a steal! I found them for $13 buck a dozen at walmart.

Driver:  905R 9.5* Project X 6.0

3 Wood:  910FD 15* Project X 8C4

Hybrid:  Vr Pro 21* 3H Project X HD2

Irons:  775 CB 4-G Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges:  MP T-10 56/8, 60/5

Putter:  Anser 2

Ball:  Gamer V2 or  NXT

Agreed! Nxt and the V2 are very comparable but I like to hit the ball straight and long and the wedge spin is similar to the nxt if hit right. V2 is a steal! I found them for $13 buck a dozen at walmart.

Well, the snow has finally stopped this week in Denver!  Temperatures are climbing to high 60s by Thursday/Friday.  Can you say...FORE!!  Gonna try these new Gamer Tours.

Speaking of the Gamer V2 being a bag...A little OT here but I am in need of a new bag. Been searching high and low for something that isn't going to put me out $300. This means you Bennington. Anyway I saw the TF Gamer cart bags at DSG tonight and dang it the bag is exactly what I've been looking for. Solid build, lots of pockets and a putter well big enough to accomodate a Super Stroke Fatso. Only one problem, the thing has Top Flight stitching all over it. Looks like a staff bag. I did buy another box of Gamer Tour balls. Anxious to see what it does when the course is alive again.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Armygolfer4life

Well, the snow has finally stopped this week in Denver!  Temperatures are climbing to high 60s by Thursday/Friday.  Can you say...FORE!!  Gonna try these new Gamer Tours.

I just saw that these came out. We need a review!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I just saw that these came out. We need a review!

TourSpoon,

I played them.  First, my play was not very good towards the end...my body just gave out (I had a workout from hell that morning).  BUT on the front 9, I did okay for so rusty...41 w/ an 8 on one hole (the course is a Pete Dye design (tips are rated 74 w/ slope around 140 I think).  What can I say about the Gamer Tour?  My distance was a little less than the V2s...but it could have been that I was tight/tired.  I did crank out one 300+ drive and a 4i out to about 240 (hey, I DO live in Colorado...lol).  So I think the distance will be fine one I recover from that workout.  The biggest thing I noticed was the bite.  It DOES bite better than the V2.  I cannot normally spin a ball...just not capable, so I generally shoot for short of the pin and allow for roll out...not much, but some.  I found the Tour to check up substantially quicker.  Now, The greens were still pretty damp from melted snow, but the ball did seem to stick better than the V2s.  I did NOT notice any increase in sidespin (one of the main reasons I put the ProVs away).  I hit 65%+ of my fairways.  Also, I hit 2 of 4 GIRs for par 3s...and the ball STUCK.

Anyway, I can play either V2 or Tours.  I will continue the Tours and try to adjust my pin attacks to allow for less roll out.  As I turn 50 this year, I do hope to become a 5 handicapper...with these balls.

Just my thoughts.  Take care,

• Upvote 1

Another advantage of Gamer.v2... it's a mid-spin ball. The higher-spin Titleists just get me in trouble, especially on long clubs, because I'm not the best ballstriker in the world.

This ties into LuciusW 's comment on why pros don't play Gamers, e6s, etc.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

How does anyone think the Gamer Tour stacks up against the E5? Anyone try both yet?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

How does anyone think the Gamer Tour stacks up against the E5? Anyone try both yet?

I'm guessing that the TopFlite will outperform the bridgestone, being a 3 piece urethane ball vs a 2 piece urethane ball...

Colin P.

I bought a couple boxes of TF Gamer Tours last week and played 2 rounds with them.  Despite temps around 40*, they felt surprisingly soft, maybe a click softer than the V2s. However, I did not notice that much more spin on approach shots over the V2s - pretty much the same hit and check performance. I had a few draw back, but I have done that with the V2s as well. The only real difference I noticed was that my irons and wedges produced whiskers on the Gamer Tour cover. That's about it, so I can't see the justification for paying $15 more ($25/doz vs $10/doz on sale at Dicks). I think the V2 will continue to be my everyday ball, and I will always keep some ProV1s on hand for money matches and tournaments.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I bought a couple boxes of TF Gamer Tours last week and played 2 rounds with them.  Despite temps around 40*, they felt surprisingly soft, maybe a click softer than the V2s. However, I did not notice that much more spin on approach shots over the V2s - pretty much the same hit and check performance. I had a few draw back, but I have done that with the V2s as well. The only real difference I noticed was that my irons and wedges produced whiskers on the Gamer Tour cover. That's about it, so I can't see the justification for paying $15 more ($25/doz vs $10/doz on sale at Dicks). I think the V2 will continue to be my everyday ball, and I will always keep some ProV1s on hand for money matches and tournaments.

dak,

Help me out.  How can you play a lower spin ball like Gamers and then change to ProV1s for high end matches?  The two balls, for me, are just too different.  For me, the ProV sidespin puts me into way too much trouble off the tee.  Not saying you can't...just wondering how...I cant pull that one off.

It spins for sure. I love the ball, it is my discount tour ball. the problem isn't the ball its your game. I know this because you are on a par 3 course and you still have to chip. your divot should be after you hit the ball. I guarantee it checks with no problem.

Originally Posted by RichardR

It spins for sure. I love the ball, it is my discount tour ball. the problem isn't the ball its your game. I know this because you are on a par 3 course and you still have to chip. your divot should be after you hit the ball. I guarantee it checks with no problem.

Richard,

Another possible cause could be a very shallow angle of attack with respect to his lofted clubs (more like a driver/long iron swing).  That is really my main wedge problem...too shallow.  I can get a stop...but I almost never get spin back.  I am going to work with a pro to try to sharpen my attack angle...and get some more spin.

Originally Posted by Titleist_ProV1x

You want spin? start using the ProV1x, You'll never look back

Any average golfer using a ProV1X is wasting their money.  Great ball if you have the skill.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!