IGNORED

Top Flite Gamer V2=Major bag of suck

Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use to play those, but then fell in love with the Srixon AD-333. Give them a shot, the new q-stars replaced them.

I took a lesson this week.  The long and short of it...I am spinning my wedges!  It only took an hour for the instructor to refine a couple of mistakes I was constantly making.  Several quirks that resulted in poor iron play overall.  By mid-hour I was striping the ball.  Anyway, I now have spin...still need some practice...but I feel soooo much better.  I am now an 8 handicap...but that will lower if I stay on this.  Put the ego away boys...a quick lesson can do a world of good...it did for me!

Kudos to Plum Creek's (Castle Rock, CO) Eric for a fine lesson!

Gamers spin, check and even run back just fine. They are actually one of the better balls I have used. Most high handicappers focus way too much on the ball anyway. Learn to swing first, as long as you aren't hitting ricks, you won't see a huge difference.

Its only the last year where i've started gaming a tour level ball, and for me, I found I got the best feel and play out of TP5's. I still play them, and will be for a while. But I wouldn't complain if you told me I had to play around with any of the Gamer line.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I am a Gamer fan, bur gotta admit, got a couple boxes of last years PV1s and w:ell, I'm back to wondering if the PVs might not be worth the extra $25. The feel is just exceptional esp off of a well struck iron. To ArmyGolfer, distance bet the gamer and pv1 is not significant, and re approach spin, the gamers will still check if you make a clean strike. But, "There's nothing like the click and feel of a Titleist..."

dak4n6

I'm not a great golfer, but I started playing the Gamer V2 to hopefully get a consistent feel and result with my awful short game. I've been impressed so far by the feel around the greens, but pleasantly surprised by the gain in distance. I had been playing the DT Solo and ive gained at least 10 yards with every club usibg the Gamer. Not sure if it is just my swing improving or not, but I am very pleased with my new golf ball.

I am a Gamer fan, bur gotta admit, got a couple boxes of last years PV1s and w:ell, I'm back to wondering if the PVs might not be worth the extra $25. The feel is just exceptional esp off of a well struck iron. To ArmyGolfer, distance bet the gamer and pv1 is not significant, and re approach spin, the gamers will still check if you make a clean strike. But, "There's nothing like the click and feel of a Titleist..."

Or get the ProV PRACTICE balls, $29.99 at any Golf Galaxy. Same exact ball.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played the Gamer Tours and really enjoyed them. I really noticed the ball soften up on my 3rd round with them when it hit the 70 degree range. Even left some golf ball in my CG15 wedges a couple times. I also have gamer v2's in the bag that i have yet to try.

For the level of my game which is low 90's to high 80's im happy with the ball so far and will continue to play it.

Played the GamerTours this past week.  They spun much more than the V2s.  I was short of pin on the greens I hit due to much less rollout  than the V2s I normally play.  Distance was fine; feel was fine.  Still cold here in Colorado, so I will have to wait until summer for final thoughts.  But overall, I cannot complain at all about the GamerTours...I think they will be the upgrade that I was looking for from the V2s...better green spin w/o increasing the sidespin too much.

Thanks,

Just remembered I played the Gamer Tour last time out too and it did perform well. Good distance and felt good off the putter.

Dave :-)

• 1 month later...

[EDIT: I hit "submit" and all of my paragraph breaks disappeared and I got a ridiculous, giant single paragraph. But on edit all my paragraph breaks are there. Weird. I'll try double breaks between the paragraphs and see if that works ] AD-333s are my favorite ball aside from the Pro-V1, which when I'm hitting well is the longest and stickiest ball I've played, but I lose balls to quickly to justifiy spending $4 a piece on them. I found two years ago the budget Srixon in the bright blue box is a terrific ball, nearly as long as the Pro-V1 or V1x and I can get it to stick to a green nearly as well. I picked up a bunch of boxes of these non-discontinued Srixons when my local Dick's Sporting goods somehow found some extras quantity of them and had them for 2-for-$25 early last December; the golf guy at Dicks said he thought that his chain may have an exclusive arrangement with Srixon to produce more of them on special order just for Dicks when their factory had some lulls in production with their current balls and wanted to keep machines and employees working. I picked up a box of Gamer V2s a few months ago on sale for $14. They're Ok but I've only been out three times this season so far, played with maybe 7 of them, and I've been playing so awful that I haven't really had a fair test of them; no ball flies well when one's clubface strikes the ground 6-8" behind the ball. The thing I like about the AD-333's feel is that it's firm, but gives feedback with a satisfying click on well-struck shots, it feels somewhat lively, and it flies a mile, yet I have gotten it to back up on greens with up to an 8-iron (note I'm not boasting I can do this with any consistency, just that it happens sometimes). The Gamer V2 feels a bit softer and seems to have less energy - I think it's going around 5-10 yards shorter than the AD-333. It may be spinning off-line less, though - I was slicing all my tee shots yesterday with my 3-wood (damn G20 driver made a funny sound on the range with the first drive with it, I looked at the clubface, and it was cracked all around the top of the clubface onto the side of the toe) and they seemed to go a bit higher and a bit more fade-like than my usual slices. The V2 seemed to putt a little more consistently, but maybe that's me getting more used to my new putter - I only had two 3-putts yesterday. It's hard to say how well it sticks to the green, as I had so few approach shots hit the green and generally hit a bit thin or overclubbed when they did, so I got roll with them. I did have one gap wedge from 100 yards roll forward about 5 feet. Actually, the only shot I can call getting to back up was the least likely one - I finally it a good tee shot with my 3-wood with a slight draw on it and it ended up backing up about 2 feet from where it hit a fairly soft fairway. Once I run out of my small stockpiled supply of AD-333s I'll have to decide what to do next about balls. I can pick up more of the Srixons used online or buy new boxes of the AD-333s for a full $20 a dozen new at Wal-mart, still, but I hate to do business with Wal-Mart. I don't think the premium they're charging for the Q-Stars is quite worth it - I'm a bit cheap and overly prone to slicing to want to be spending over $2 a ball on the more expensive replacement for the AD-333s, so I only bought one dozen of those last summer when I could get a free hat with it. I might buy another box of the Gamer V2s if I find it on sale. I'll conclude by saying that the most distinctive thing about the Gamer V2 that I noticed was that it picks up dirt and mud like crazy - I can't remember ever having a ball get that dirty even just hitting fairways. I had to use the ballwasher before almost every tee shot, which I don't normally have to do.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

• 10 months later...

I hated those balls. They felt good off my putter face but that's about it. I had some check but I get much better check and spin from my current balls, Callaway Hex Chromes

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

A few years later and I am still trying to find the V2 again.  I played the Gamer Tour last year and it was great around the greens but I did not get the distance of a V2, which also had great soin for a surlyn covered ball.

The 2014 Gamer has the exact same specs as the old V2 which I will have to try out to make a comparison.

That is a super funny commercial. Glad they are just going with the "balls" jokes that we've been making for years.

Those Wilson Duo commercials have gone downhill since they stopped paying actual golfers to be in them. Love all the golf apparel that doesn't have logo's on it. Where do they find that stuff?

Back on topic....how does a Nike MOJO stack up? Is it not even in the same ballpark?

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Back on topic....how does a Nike MOJO stack up? Is it not even in the same ballpark?

Nope. Not even close. Seriously, I am of the opinion, and there are others who agree, that this ball is better than the NXT/NXT Tour, without even taking price into consideration.

Colin P.

Nope. Not even close. Seriously, I am of the opinion, and there are others who agree, that this ball is better than the NXT/NXT Tour, without even taking price into consideration.

I've been anti-Top Flight for years. Absolutely couldn't stand them. Hated them so badly I wouldn't even hit them down into the woods. The only ball that felt worse was a Spalding I found one time.

Last year I found one of those Gamer Tours and for some reason decided to play with it. I was completely surprised that I actually liked it quite a bit. Definitely would play it before something like a Mojo and most other balls around that price range.

Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!