IGNORED

Mizuno MP-68s From Ebay: Authentic or Knock-offs?

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried to say this earlier in the thread which apparently a lot of people aren't seeing, SHIPPING COUNTERFEIT CLUBS IS ILLEGAL. So why would lewis send them back? I had this same ordeal go down and PayPal specifically told me not to send them back. The reason he got the refund in this case is because it is actually PayPal that gives the refund, not the seller. Of course the seller would wantthem back in order to get the refund...

I LOVE the idea about trying to bend one of them 3*, that would be great.
I'm surprised, with all the replies, that this hasn't been asked yet: who is selling for less than retail shipped straight from the Mizuno plant? I may have to use this guy (the legit one; not the counterfeit that the OP purchased from the first time) for my future Mizuno purchases.

I just bought some clubs from someone on eBay, when they shipped they got send out from Huntsville, PM if you want the seller details.

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

To the OP...I'm glad that everything has worked out and I thank you and everyone to a very interesting thread to read. Hope you enjoy your real Mizuno purchase.

Shorty

I said that he should destroy them if he wants to take the moral high ground, which so many posters here are doing, despite wondering if it would be possible to keep the clubs. People are talking about fakes and counterfeits but noone is suggesting that they would throw them away. Seems that the cache of a shiny set of (what look like) MP-68s in the bag is more attractiveto some (hence the existence of fakes) than actually owining real ones. The OP at least is smart enough to get himself some authentic ones.

My point is that in moralising and trying to protect the good name of Mizuno and not dealing in the transportation of illegal goods etc. etc. the bottom line from most posters seems to be "Hey!!! Keeep them!" The contradictions in my post are there to mirror the contradictions in other posters' thoughts, namely, and consistently "Get your money back but don't return the clubs" Whether they are fake or not is moot.
I'm surprised, with all the replies, that this hasn't been asked yet: who is selling for less than retail shipped straight from the Mizuno plant? I may have to use this guy (the legit one; not the counterfeit that the OP purchased from the first time) for my future Mizuno purchases.

Exactly.

I would be very surprised if there was anyone authorised to sell Mizuno product straight from the plant at less than agreed prices. I bet he didn't check with Mizuno to see if this guy was legit.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I said that he should destroy them if he wants to take the moral high ground, which so many posters here are doing, despite wondering if it would be possible to keep the clubs. People are talking about fakes and counterfeits but noone is suggesting that they would throw them away. Seems that the cache of a shiny set of (what look like) MP-68s in the bag is more attractiveto some (hence the existence of fakes) than actually owining real ones. The OP at least is smart enough to get himself some authentic ones.

What are you talking about? The OP is not trying to keep the clubs. He was ready to send them back until the crook turned into a belligerent jackass and threatened to "prosecute" (which is interesting if he's in another country).

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Your moral point in isolation is understood but I'd suggest keeping the clubs is the 'least worst' solution and the most likely outcome.

He can't return the clubs as strictly speaking he could be held criminally liable. Even in a moral sense to return those clubs to the seller is the most outrageous outcome. Far more outrageous than OP keeping them. Paypal by suggesting the return of the item would be complicit in the offence and that is why they have said you are to take no further action. He ought not to destroy the clubs as trading standards, the police or most likely the manufacturer would consider them evidence and an infringement of their patent/trademark(s). But until someone who has authority to lay claim to the items, aka the police, then as they are in possession of OP I think he might be the defacto owner. Like you said he shouldn't use them though, in much the same way as he shouldn't watch knock off DVDs etc. He'd be ripping off the patent holder, not the seller though by doing that.

The eBay seller is on the up-and-up, but the catch is that he has to sell the clubs used. This is directly from his auction:

To stay within Mizuno's Internet Auction Site Policies, I cannot sell you a 'new' set of Mizuno irons on eBay, so once I have received your order I will hit the 7-iron one time, which turns this into a 'used' set of irons. I can promise that any marks left on the face from this one shot will not take away from the quality, playbility, beauty or workmanship of your Mizuno iron order. If you have any questions/concerns regarding this auction, please e-mail me. I am happy to answer any questions that you have.

So, if you're okay with the possibility of your 7-iron or new wedge having been hit once, then there isn't a better deal around. All of this is transparent to the end-user and he uses 2-day shipping (or more accurately, Mizuno uses 2-day shipping) to ship from their Norcross, GA plant. Maybe things are different because I had a custom set (upgraded projext x 6.0 shafts and multi compound grips), but either way mine came directly from the plant with serial numbers on every club and the Mizuno documentation in the box.

I do highly recommend the guy . If you want any more details on the clubs or the seller, feel free to PM me. I honestly couldn't be happier. Now if I could just get my got darn swing under control... Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

fake mizuno doesnt use those ferrules they use all black..sorry man

Glad we finally have that sorted...

• Upvote 1

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

• 3 weeks later...
The eBay seller is on the up-and-up, but the catch is that he has to sell the clubs used. This is directly from his auction:

This whole thread was a fascinating read on an otherwise boring friday afternoon at work. Brandon, question i've been asking myself based on your recent post is, how can the ebay seller hit the 7 iron one time and yet still have the set shipped directly from the mizuno factory? if coming directly from the mizuno plant.........he won't have access to a club in your order to hit with, and to then sell you as "used" to get around mizuno's internet selling policy. it just doesn't add up. unless it goes from the plant to him? then he hits a with a club, and resends to you? however, you state the clubs came direct from mizuno?

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

Hey, I know that I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I just joined today and don't have the ability to post a new thread. My question to you all deals with my Ping Anser 3 putter, which I bought a year ago online - used. The putter club head says KARSTEN in big letters alone - not Karsten MFG Corp or Karsten Co, just KARSTEN. Also, it says Pheonix, AZ under the KARSTEN with the zip code, which is hard to make out, but I've found it to be 85029. Also, it says Made in U.S.A under the previous two lines. However, remember, this is a Ping Anser 3 putter, not the plain Anser.

The reason I ask of this is because the website listed this putter as the Karsten MFG Corp PO box 9990 85068, in which they have provided a Ping sticker wrapped around the shaft; however, as it is blatantly contradictory to the putter's club head, I would like to learn the real value of this club. Also, it utilizes the old-style, almost rectangular Ping/Golf Pride rubber grip (with the golfer and PING letters on the flattened side.

Also, if you are interested and would like to help, I can provide high resolution pictures of the club later today, just send me a PM or respond. However, my only concern is that, since I am not "eligible to create a new topic", the administrators will delete this. So, please respond ASAP and help me out! I will be online all weekend.

well cft The only advice I can give is to post a pic and than a stock pic of the club and compare the 2 and also ive noticed 1 thing if you buy a club off ebay I think your best bet is bring it to a demo day (if you can) and have the manufactures club nerd check if its real for you and if isnt get the phone ready and paypal cause the guy who sold it to you needs to give you your money back and do the right thing morally wise I mean come on I understand moneys good but still golf is expensive enough, dont go ripping people off with fake clubs at a similar price to the real ones. I mean look at this guy http://www.tour••••••••••••••/ he makes a living off selling fake clubs but at least he stands behind them and will replace 1 even if that lead paint is slowly killing you or if its rusting faster than an old cj jeep so i hope I helped you cft and anyone else on the board

ERdiesel,

I'll simply say that I didn't mind that my clubs came directly from the manufacturer :). Perhaps it was because I was having custom shafts installed? Not sure.

Brandon

Stories like this is why I have yet to buy the irons of my dreams (Mizuno mx200s) because of all the fakes on ebay. I almost bought through the AAFES website but they want 700 bucks, I'll wait for another 20% day I guess.

Start hitting the ball left handed, much fewer fakes!

At least that tourgolfclubs admits they are clones, it's the arseholes who pass things off as real that are the problem.

I know this is an old thread but my 2 cents...I'd have called Mizuno to let them know I was shipping them a set of irons that you suspect "may" be knock-offs, and you'd like to verify the authenticity. Then I'd have contacted the seller and let him know that he can contact the Mizuno rep directly, who is handling the case. I'd let the seller and rep deal with this issue and leave it at that. This leaves the buyer free from any wrong-doing and eliminate any liabilities.

Btw, the heads on these irons look pretty authentic...just the ferrule and shaft don't look to be the typical stock Mizuno parts. If these are verified to be "fakes", the manufacturers are getting really good at cloning golf clubs.

909D2 10.5* Driver | Diamana Blue 65 stiff shaft
909F2 15.5* Wood | Aldila Voodoo S-core stiff shaft
909H 21* & 24* Hybrids | Aldila Voodoo S-core stiff shaft
MP-58 5-PW Irons | DG-S300 stiff shafts
Spin Milled Tour 52* GW, 56* SW & 60* LW | LWStudio Select Newport 2 Putter
Calloway Tour i(z) Balls | AeroLite III Stand Bag

I agree that sending them to Mizuno would have been a good move. The only reason I didn't do that first is because I had a claim filed with Paypal and I was worried if I didn't wait to hear back from them, they may force me to send the clubs back before I could get my refund.

Regarding the heads, I think they are virtually indistinguishable from real heads without having compared them to an authentic set side-by-side. The fonts were slightly different and the serial number was etched on differently. Also, when I had my custom set made they put the serial number on each iron, not just the six iron. The fake set only had the serial number on the six iron, despite having non-stock shafts.

I'm about 99% sure the heads are fake, and 100% sure everything else is.

Brandon

• 11 months later...

Hi Brandon.  My name is Brad.  I too won a set of MP-68's on ebay today and am now worried that they may be fakes.  Do you remember who the seller was by chance?  Did you ever find out if yours are real or fake?  Based on your pictures, the clubs look real to me.  The only thing that is suspect is the ferrule as it doesn't match the stock photo even from the Mizuno China website.  I haven't received my clubs yet and am wondering if I just stop payment now before it goes to far.  The seller is from Knoxville, China.  Never heard of such a place and they haven't responded to my email as of yet.  Any info you may be able to provide me would be great.  Thanks Brandon, Brad.

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!