IGNORED

8-10 handicap

Note: This thread is 5029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a decent ball striker. What do you choose for irons for this handicap range? I have tried the Mizuno MP 52's and didnt care for them. I have tried the i15's and the g15's but both sets I have used are too upright for my swing. Cant really give them an accurate grade because of the lie. They are about 3 degrees too upright. I play ping i3+ oversize irons now. Thanks in advance.
Thinking Pings (its what I am used to) or titleist. But really open.
Driver: Cobra ZL 3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher War Club: Burner Titanium Raylor 21degree Hybrid: Bobby Jones 24 4-PW: Ping i3's Wedges:Mizuno MP T-10 White Satin 52, 56, 60 Putter: 15 year old Odyssey Rossi Blade. Ball: Bridgestone e5 Swing Oil: Grey Goose, always in the bag.

I'd give the Titleist AP2s a try
In my Titleist mid-size staff bag:

Driver: 909D2 9.5*
Fairway: 909F3 13*
Hybrids: 909H 17* & 21*Irons AP2 4-PW S300Wedges: Spinmilled 52.08 & 58.08Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 Balls: ProV1, TM Penta

callaway xforged are great irons, any of the x tour series i like. as mentioned, titliest ap2's, the new r9 and r9 tp's are buttery soft as well. you really can't go wrong trying to find a nice player's cavity back from the major manufacturers, if you're into ping also look at the s57's and the other "s" series clubs.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

Second nod to at least try the AP-2. I love mine.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Adams a-7, I am a 5 and I think they are great. Look like players clubs, play like OS clubs.

-----------------
Driver: Ping G20 10.5
4 wood: Ping G20 16.5
Hybrid: Ping I20 23

5-P: Cleveland CG16 tour

Wedge: Cleveland Cg16 56

Putter: Cleveland classic

Ball: Top Flite D2 feel

+3 For Ap2's.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I might come out of the dark ages and retire my old blades this year. There are a slew of very nice clubs that have come out the past 2-3 years. I really like the Titleist AP1/AP2. I have hit both models. I tested the Ping i15 (blue dot) for 2 rounds and it might be the best feeling club Ping ever made.....the AWT steel shaft seems to be a perfect fit for them. Wilson's new staff FG59 blade is awsome. I tried a set on a loaner program and never hit a more forgiving and workable blade iron. Mizuno as usual, has some sweet irons out.

It is a toss up right now between the AP1's and i15's for me.

Take your time with your decision....... there are soooooooo many great clubs out there at the moment .

Adams a-7, I am a 5 and I think they are great. Look like players clubs, play like OS clubs.

How do you like your 23* Idea Gold hybrid. Can you work it fairly easy? A buddy of mine wants to trade me his for my Cobra TWS 20*. The Cobra is stupid easy to hit, but hard to shape for me anyways.

i appreciate the responses. I have been concerned that at an 8.7 index (been as low as 6.8 and high as 10.3) in the last 18 months, that players clubs may be too difficult to hit. I have always been under the impression that you need to be closer to scratch to play them consistently.
Driver: Cobra ZL 3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher War Club: Burner Titanium Raylor 21degree Hybrid: Bobby Jones 24 4-PW: Ping i3's Wedges:Mizuno MP T-10 White Satin 52, 56, 60 Putter: 15 year old Odyssey Rossi Blade. Ball: Bridgestone e5 Swing Oil: Grey Goose, always in the bag.

Check out the Cobra S2 forged. I have had a set since April and love them... My handicap range sounds similar to yours. Frankly I have never previously owned or evaluated Cobra prior to purchasing this set... I hit several brands (Mizuno, TM, Callaway) and found that I much preferred these. Great Feel with some Game Improvement features. I am very pleased with my purchase of these.

Snowman0157

Give the Cleveland CG7 tours a shot. I recently hit them at a demo day and they were the best irons I hit that day.

And try the G15, I15 in the right lie angle.

i appreciate the responses. I have been concerned that at an 8.7 index (been as low as 6.8 and high as 10.3) in the last 18 months, that players clubs may be too difficult to hit. I have always been under the impression that you need to be closer to scratch to play them consistently.

Oh poppy cock! IMO, if a single digit hc'er can't play players clubs, and to me that includes players cb's, the problem isn't the club; the problem is between their ears. That isn't to say that single digits hc'ers should play a "players club", it is to say they have the skill IF they desire to try them. Now, with that said, go and try different clubs and see which one(s) feel best and s/u best to your eye. Personally, I'm a Mizuno fan, but thats just me.

You and I sound like we're around the same skill level... I recently sold my Nike VR Split Cavity irons because I felt I could get more out of a more forgiving club. I love the feel of a muscle back forged iron, but the feel didn't out weigh the 2-3 mishits in a round that really put pressure on me to get up and down more often than I would like.

In my opinion its all about feel and what you become comfortable with... I play with a guy that generally shoots 5 or more strokes worse than I but won't put down his blades... and I play with a guy who plays cleveland ta7's and whips my butt... go figure.

909D2 / 10.5*

F11 / 15*

906F4 / 18.5*

910H / 23.25*

AP2 712 / 5-W

SM4 / 55*.12* & 59*.09*

Circa 62' No.6

I used to love the "workability" of player's irons, but I switched to Callaway X-18s about 6 months ago and haven't looked back since. I hit so many iron shots close to the hole and so many of my bad iron shots still end up on the green that I'm still kicking myself for not going to them earlier. On the other hand, the other guy who mentioned the Adams A7s is also right. Those irons look like players clubs but have the forgiveness of GI irons. They're fantastic.

Prior to my X-18s, I had a mix of Cleveland, Titleist, Ping and Mizuno irons that never really stuck.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

Give the Cleveland CG7 tours a shot. I recently hit them at a demo day and they were the best irons I hit that day.

Another Cleveland fan here. Played their TA3's for many years and loved them! If I were to ever put down my Nike Blades, I would either get another set of Cleveland's or the Bridgestone equivalent. Good luck with your decision.

My .02

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Actually I only play the 20 degree now, I found i can just choke up on it and hit the same shots. To answer the ? It is by far the best club in my bag.

-----------------
Driver: Ping G20 10.5
4 wood: Ping G20 16.5
Hybrid: Ping I20 23

5-P: Cleveland CG16 tour

Wedge: Cleveland Cg16 56

Putter: Cleveland classic

Ball: Top Flite D2 feel

I play Callaway X-18's right now, but as my ball striking has improved Im looking towards the Callaway X-Forged or Titleist AP2's

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!