IGNORED

Could lessons have messed me up?

Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Before i got lessons i was shooting low 40s, high 30s. I was pretty happy with my game, all except for my driver. This was the only reason i wanted to get lessons.

So i got lessons, and my drives came along really well for that whole week, but one of my usual bests( my iron play) became terrible. The next week we worked on my irons. I hit them awesome during our lesson.

After going home to practice some more with my irons and my driver, i was feeling that my drives were falling apart.

It turned up that a little less than a week later, i was doing terrible in both categories, and my game was falling apart. i played in a tournament yesterday and shot a 94, where i would normally shoot in the mid 80s.

Do you think i should have just stuck with my old swing, and not get lessons? Do you think he messed me up?
What's in my Bag:
Driver-TaylorMade 09 burner 10.5* | 3 wood-TaylorMade 09 burner | 3 hybrid-TaylorMade Rescue 09 | 4-GW-Titliest AP1 710s | 54.08 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | 60.04 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | Putter-Odyssey white hot #7 | Ball - whatever i find

Hard to say, did you make some drastic swing changes?
"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, 'A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a doughnut with no hole is a danish."

909 D3 Diamana Blueboard 63g
909 F2 3 Wood
MP-57's 4-pwIdea Pro 2 and 3 iron hybridsTour-W 52 deg wedge Tour-W 56 deg wedge2 Ball center shaft putterProV1

It is quite possible you are now swinging with a hybrid swing - part new / part old. What happens is your instructor during the lesson keeps you working to the new standard. When you are on your own you slowly slip back to what is comfortable. I like it when an instructor has you exaggerate the feel of a new movement. This way you can always revert back to the exaggerated feel when you start to slip away from the new method. Example: If the instructor wants you to have a flat left wrist at the top of the backswing because you are cupping your wrist, then try severely bowing your left wrist at the top to get the opposite feel of a cupped wrist. It works for me anyway.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

I've only made a few changes. I've had to change my setup, have a different backswing where i swing the club back instead of picking it up, and make sure i keep my head behind the ball. That's all we really worked on.
What's in my Bag:
Driver-TaylorMade 09 burner 10.5* | 3 wood-TaylorMade 09 burner | 3 hybrid-TaylorMade Rescue 09 | 4-GW-Titliest AP1 710s | 54.08 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | 60.04 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | Putter-Odyssey white hot #7 | Ball - whatever i find

you 're not into the changes yet
it takes time

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

you 're not into the changes yet

I agree. Whenever I get a lesson, I'm a mess for quite awhile until muscle memory kicks in.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

ya
with every lesson always expect to get worse before you get better

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

ya

Did you just say what I think you said?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Did you just say what I think you said?

he's new.

He wasn't here for the thread lol. If your not hitting the ball well by the end of a lesson, you won't be striking be striking the ball well after the lesson. If you are striking the ball well by the end of a lesson, it'll take a few swings but you should be striking the ball well.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

he's new.

Maybe he meant during the lesson - why would a pro send a guy out into the world if he hadn't grasped the concept covered in the lesson, before it was over?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

No i meant that once your lesson is done, those concepts and changes he's making arent gonna stick
and you will get worse because your muscles need time to change to the new changes.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

my dad used to be a great golfer. key phrase, "USED to." He used to hit crazy long drives, have a delicate touch with his wedges. he took a couple of lessons and now he refuses to play golf because the instructor completely tore apart his swing... It really all depends on the instructor. If the instructor is great and individualizes his lessons, then it can help out your game, but if he thinks the same lesson can be applies to every player, then your in for a nightmare...

In my lightweight bag:

Driver: FT-iq 8.5*
3 wood: FT-i 3 wood
Hybrids: Diablo Edge hybrid 3-4

Irons: Diablo Edge irons 5-PW

Wedges: 50.08, 54.08, 60.10

Putter: Scottie Cameron Kombi S

my dad used to be a great golfer. key phrase, "USED to." He used to hit crazy long drives, have a delicate touch with his wedges. he took a couple of lessons and now he refuses to play golf because the instructor completely tore apart his swing... It really all depends on the instructor. If the instructor is great and individualizes his lessons, then it can help out your game, but if he thinks the same lesson can be applies to every player, then your in for a nightmare...

Ahh another satisfied Haney student eh lol. Well to the op the stuff you say you are working on are fundamentals, I'm not sure how you were shooting in the high 70's low 80's(high 30's low 40's) without doing those things. My guess is that you were too steep with you head in front of the ball, which let you hit your irons pretty well but had no chance hitting driver like that, and now you may have taken staying back too far and are flipping at it? I would say see the instructor until it's ingrained or at least get a tune up with him because like i said that stuff you are working on is fundamental and something you have to be doing in order to hit every club well.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

ya

Isn't an alarm bell supposed to go off when you say this?!?

Driver: Hibore XL 9.5 R
3 Wood: SQII 15
Hybrid: XLS 19
Irons: 3-PW Ta5
Wedges: 52* CG 10 58* Vokey SM08Putter: Rossa TP Kia Ma Monaco Ball: Pro V1/V1x, Z-Star/Z-Star x

Isn't an alarm bell supposed to go off when you say this?!?

Why? Every pro i have ever seen make a swing change had a period of bad play before they got it sorted out. Which thread are you guys talking about as I a new here to.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

Why? Every pro i have ever seen make a swing change had a period of bad play before they got it sorted out. Which thread are you guys talking about as I a new here to.

Thats not true Pros who make adjustments often win tournaments its only the Pro's who drastically alter their swing who go through bad patches and this is because their old swing is so engrained that the have a hard time getting the new swing engrained so that its flawless. For the average joe, coming out of a lesson

you should be hitting the ball better because the pro should have made small change to improve your ball striking. There was a thread on this a while back btw.

Driver: Hibore XL 9.5 R
3 Wood: SQII 15
Hybrid: XLS 19
Irons: 3-PW Ta5
Wedges: 52* CG 10 58* Vokey SM08Putter: Rossa TP Kia Ma Monaco Ball: Pro V1/V1x, Z-Star/Z-Star x

You cant really compare pros with us amateurs when we make a swing change. These dudes hit so many balls in their life, when they are gonna change something, its probably not a complete new feeling for them and they already know what it should feels like.

Completly different to us amateurs - if we change something, its most likely, we never expierenced this feeling before and have to get used to, and despite it might only be small changes we still have to get used to it - fight old tendencies and so on.... When i first visited a pro i had no idea what he was talking about and i just did what he told me - nowadays i like to keep my lessons more "discussion-oriented", discussing and understanding the effects a change in my swing has - that helps me work more efficent on the swing change.
I'm not sure how you were shooting in the high 70's low 80's(high 30's low 40's) without doing those things.

Easy forgiving course where you cant mess up? That masks a lot of swing problems, cuz people never bother fixing them, since they are shooting well already without putting too much though into it.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!